Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why have your forwards track back?

• 30-06-2006 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Yet again today, I saw commentators praising Tevez for running back 40 yards to make a tackle on a German defender going forward. In several matches, forwards have sprinted back 30 - 40 yards to close down a player. Why?? This isn't playground football where everyone follows the ball. You play in a formation, as strikers they should be staying up the pitch and giving the other defenders something to worry about.

Teams generally have 8 players available (4 defenders and 4 midfielders) to cover defensive duties. Tevez knackered himself with all the running. Not only that but if you do win it back, wheres the striker, back with the defence! Am I the only one who sees the idea of making strikers track back as being a bit daft?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So what do you do if all 10 outfield players go on an attack ? defend with your 8 midfielders and attackers and hope that it works out? A good team will attack and defend as a team. Do you ever help out someone in your job where you dont strickly have to?

It gets stuff done. Having 5 defenders defending against 5 attackers is not going to be as effective as having 7 defenders in the same situation.

What if Tevez had stood there watching the player run through the defenders and score? Is it better that he held position and stayed up front or that he tracked back and prevented an attack that could have ultimately led to a goal being conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yip its silly,you need an outlet for an attack .
    I even had to ask myself today was Tevez a striker as to the position he was playing in.
    A striker should be in the opponents half at most times not in his own.
    It keeps the defenders on their toes and stops defences moving up the field too far and pressurising opponents.
    Football is becoming too defensive,too cynical.
    Its no longer the beautiful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A good team will attack and defend as a team.

When I saw the topic title I knew what I'd say, only you beat me to it!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Stekelly wrote:
    So what do you do if all 10 outfield players go on an attack ? defend with your 8 midfielders and attackers and hope that it works out?

10 outfield players are not going to go on attack if there is an opposing player up the field, that would be stupid. Often when someone like Rooney goes back, it just frees up the two centre backs that were marking him, and they wander forward a bit and add more weight to the attack. I agree with the vorbis, much of the time having your frontmen track back (most of whom can't tackle anyway) is counterproductive. I still admire it in a player though, and there's no real harm in it, as long as you have attacking midfielders ready to receive the ball if it's won back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

vorbis wrote:
    Yet again today, I saw commentators praising Tevez for running back 40 yards to make a tackle on a German defender going forward. In several matches, forwards have sprinted back 30 - 40 yards to close down a player. Why?? This isn't playground football where everyone follows the ball. You play in a formation, as strikers they should be staying up the pitch and giving the other defenders something to worry about.

Teams generally have 8 players available (4 defenders and 4 midfielders) to cover defensive duties. Tevez knackered himself with all the running. Not only that but if you do win it back, wheres the striker, back with the defence! Am I the only one who sees the idea of making strikers track back as being a bit daft?

Some teams base their entire offence on their defenders getting the ball in space.

Did you notice that ?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I don't follow Kdjac. I'm saying that your 1 /2 strikers should stay up by the last two defenders whoever they might be. What space are the defenders getting the ball in? Space in their own half?

Tbh while it looks impressive to see a centre back striding up to the halfway line , is he really going anywhere. At some point he is going to pass to a forward player (unless its Brazil!) At that point, he or some one else is going to have to track back to mark the two attackers still up the pitch. If the attackers have tracked back, the defending team is now hemmed in their box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Beckenbauer often strode forward from centre half...the rest is history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

a great team defends from the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2 442s meet both teams play to match their oponents only the CB going forward and making a mid come to him is going to create space for the pass to his mid.

So forwards tracking back would stop that :)

kdjac

Advertisement