Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Quotes' when responding to posts

Options
  • 01-07-2006 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭

I have two questions regarding using 'Quotes' when responding to posts: :confused:

1. When I edit a quote to respond to a particular part of a long post, I've noticed that sometimes the quote loses it's blue background in my post and other times it doesn't. It looks much less distinctive, as a quote, without this background. This does not appear to happen to others - why does it happen to me?

2. I've noticed that others appear to be able to fragment a quote to respond to one section at a time or can include several quotes in the one post. I've tried unsuccessfully to do this. What is the secret?

Apologies if this has come up before - I couldn't find anything about it. I'm fairly new here. Any help apreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

are you using the quote tags correctly?

[ quote] at the start of the comment, and ending with: [ /quote]

(I have put a space in each tag so you can see it)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beruthiel wrote:
    are you using the quote tags correctly?

[ quote] at the start of the comment, and ending with: [ /quote]

QUOTE]

I click on the 'qoute' icon on the bottom right and then edit the quote when it appears if necessary. For example, I've removed one line from your post and now the blue shading is gone. this dosen't seem to happen to other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you want to quote a poster like this:
    Gordon wrote:
    This is a quote
    Type this:
    [noparse]
    Gordon wrote:
    This is a quote
    [/noparse]

Or you can simply put a quote without the username:
    This is an anonymous quote without a username
    Type this:
    [noparse]
    This is an anonymous quote without a username
    [/noparse]

If you just want to quote the whole text then the QUOTE button will reply to the post and fill in the quote tags.

If you want multiple quotes you will have to break up the text into chunks and wrap [noparse]
    tags around the chunks of text
    .[/noparse]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Many thanks Beruthiel/Gordon. I think I've got the hang of it now. :)

Advertisement