Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted: German/Irish business constructs

Options
  • 01-07-2006 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

we are German residents with an Irish Ltd. The company offers IT services; most of the work is done on site in Germany.

The directors are my wife and me; I'm secretary, CEO and only employee. We live in Germany, I pay income tax and PAYE in Ireland and will declare that as foreign income in my German Income Tax declaration. So no tax evasion issues arise.

Our primary reason for starting a business in Ireland are - beside that I simply like the Irish (and I don't mean the tourist versions of them), the Irish ways and the Irish country side - that we want to establish a reasonable pension for us both to retire in 15/20some years in Ireland.

Now, I see the acute danger that the German Finanzamt will try to undermine that construct, arguing that the company had to be run in Germany; something I want to prevent at all costs.

Can anyone offer some hints/advice/pointers/references to a solution to our problem?

Kind Regards,

Shatter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Can't offer you any advice, except to say that you should of course consult a professional who will be able to give you more information about the situation. You could also try posting your query on www.askaboutmoney.com - there are a few accountants/tax advisers and people who generally know a fair amount about financial issues who post regularly there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 shatter

Misty Moon wrote:
    Can't offer you any advice, except to say that you should of course consult a professional who will be able to give you more information about the situation.

This is exactly (one of) the point(s).
    I would need a name ... and somehow a way to assure he/she is a good choice.

Thanx for the tip about http://www.askaboutmoney.com.

Shatter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

shatter wrote:
    The directors are my wife and me; I'm secretary, CEO and only employee. We live in Germany, I pay income tax and PAYE in Ireland and will declare that as foreign income in my German Income Tax declaration. So no tax evasion issues arise.
    I don't understand - you are German residents, earning money in Germany & therefore you should be paying German income tax only.

I think you need to clarify what it is you're trying to achieve, I know I'm somewhat lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jean05

shatter wrote:
    Our primary reason for starting a business in Ireland are ... that we want to establish a reasonable pension for us both to retire in 15/20some years in Ireland.

You mean the state pension? I'm amazed that that's worth the hassle of doing your business from another country.

:confused:

Advertisement