Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new rig

Options
  • 01-07-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I just Bought a new kit,
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321093
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307913
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318585
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314091
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312300

I fitted it all and it works. Because i got a new motherboard there was a Problem with Windows but i sorted it out with a phone call to them,

But heres the problem i'm having. I used my old hard drive that had windows on it as the main hard drive and i bought a new one as you can see from the list above it's a samsung sata2. When i start my PC all is fine when i go into divice manager i can see the new process/ram/graphics card and i see the new Hard drive, but in "my computer" it is not there.. i cant add anything into it... Any ideas whats going on?

Also some of the new drivers need Windows service pack2. but when i Install it my PC wont boot up... it trys to but then powers down and restarts.

Theses are the only problems i can see at the moment.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix these problems. ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

After buying that kit I would put the new drive in as the main drive and reinstall your OS, a pain I know but worth it as then all the drivers etc. are all installed correctly with the new hardware.

If Device Manager can see your hard drive and no exclamation marks are on it then go into Computer Management and you should see the new drive there, all thats wrong is that it has no partition on it. Add a partition to it, format it and then you will be able to see it.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i will have to buy windows again then... as the one i have come with my old PC when i bought it from dixions.

I'll go buy it today and see what happens... when i do intall it into the new hard drive can i still keep my old one with all my stuff on it ? it has over 100 gig of stuff on it that i need.

Hold on, have you the reinstall cd for your os, as the license covers you re-installing onto your pc with new hardware I think once less than 5 pieces of hardware have been changed or less.

Install the OS with just the new hdd installed first, then connect your existing hdd (I assume its IDE) and then transfer all your software over to the new drive that way.

no i dont have a re-install disc... but my friend as the cd so he is gone to get it. i have a Serial number from my old PC so i can use it.

I'll post how i get on.

Ok good luck with it.

• Advertisement

ok major problem,

We where having problems cos it was saying my Windows key was invalid.

So i went out and bought a new Windows XP park and another new Hard Drive to start fresh and just get the thing working.

But when i add everything and put the disc in it starts up and it stalls on a blue screen with "Setup is loading file (Hardware abstruction layer)... " it never moves past this part... and windows doesnt install.

Can anyone help me here.?

You bought another hdd?? :eek: Make sure the bios is set to defaults , only the necessary hardware installed and then try to load xp again.

how do i set the bios to default ?

ok i found the Bios area and from what i seen on the screen it said to press F6 to make them default.. i did that and it's still haning on that screen... how long should that screen stay there?

i seen there was 2 default setting.. "fail safe" and optimized" i tried both,,, got the same screen hang with the fail safe ones// only got a blank screen with the second..

as i said above this is all brand new stuff..

• Advertisement

Try your new install cd in another pc and see does the same thing happen as if the bios is set to defaults then it points at the cd rather than your pc.

hey i got it working past that point.. i removed 1 cd rom and 1 stick of ram and it worked.... only problem now is the windows i bought is an upgrade pack and it's looking for an old install of windows before it will work,,,, I have a serial number from my old PC but no dics.... Dont suppose you have a disc i could borrow ? i'll drop it back..

Sorry my XP cd came with my pc and it only works with Fujitsu pc's. What about the recovery cd your friend went to get yesterday??

it was a windows update CD as well. Can i make a Boot disk ?? would that work ?

was reading this here http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm ??

not sure if it would tho.

I'd say that someone here will have a disc that you can borrow.

I mad a post in the Windows forums.... no reply's yet.... it's wrecking my head now... i've got a new toy and cant play with it lol...

I think i could install my old hard drive and use the windows update disk to format it into the new rig.. but then i would lose all my Info from it....

If you know anyone that would lend me a disc give me a shout,, thanks,

If I was you I would use another pc to ghost your data drive onto one of the new hdd's and use that then to reinstall XP on as if anything goes wrong you have your original hdd with your data safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok let me get onboard here. Just answer a few questions to get me up to speed.

1. Why did you buy another HDD?
    2. Have you gone into control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management to verify that the HDD can be seen there, and is correctly labeled and formatted?
    3. How did you initially get XP installed on your computer if the key is not working now?

AFAIK XP does not natively come with drivers for SATA2 drives. You might need to find the drivers for that HDD and install them. Have you tried formatting the drive?

I got a windows disc from a boards member... cheers for that.... had so many problems with my hard drives... only got it working now.. i still have alot to install so i'm hoping nothing else goes wrong.. !!

thanks to everyone... Hopefully I wont need anymore help with this rig ;)

Advertisement