Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing green and red peppers etc

• 01-07-2006 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Does anybody know if it is to late to try a grow these expensive little fruits i am new to all these green house carry on but have set up a little one in my backgarden in balbriggan and have lettece 2 types,cucumber,french beans 2 types of tomatoes,brocoli growing and sprouts am I to late to try anything else in the season.I am really just experimenting but like the Dubs maybe I am ahead of myself and might end up with sam and plenty of nice fruits as well come end of septemer.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

It is too late now to start peppers but you could still get a crop of coriander or pak choi for the stir fries. I think you could also get some spinach in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OK, also completely new to this and don't have a greenhouse (but living in Cambridge which usually has lots of sun and little rain (if that helps).

If I wanted to grow peppers next year, would I actually need a greenhouse, I know it would help but would I need it?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

They could be grown in a conservatory in pots or a growbag or on a sunny windowsill. They are slow and sometimes difficult to germinate from seed as they seem to like steady warmth when sown and still could take a few weeks to get going. The garden centres will usually have a few early plants which should give them time to set fruit in our climate. An alternative to a greenhouse which is a lot cheaper is a polytunnel and this could be self built. I put one up this year and I have all sorts of things I would never even try before growing happily in it.

Advertisement