Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish thing

• 01-07-2006 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

The following text is from page 62 of my autobiography about life in the Legion which can be found at www.troon-promotions.com/ntd.htm

'At the beginning of August we had an unexpected V.I.P. to guard, in the form of Pope John Paul ll. He was on a tour of African states and landed at Bangui airport in The Republic of Central Africa. I was positioned on top of a floodlight mast with my sniper rifle and had a bird's eye view of the proceedings. As he descended from the aircraft I couldn't resist having a look at him close up through the telescopic sight as he made his now famous gesture of kissing the ground. Perhaps he hated flying.

After his departure, another sniper from one of the other groups said to me, "never tell any of my mates from home that I had the Pope in my gun sights". He was a Protestant from Belfast.'

But that is the Legion. It breaks down all social, class, national and religious barriers.
    :D :cool:

Advertisement