Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browsers with cookies turned off

Options
  • 01-07-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am using cookies to store my user sessions (using php). Does anyone know how many people have their browsers set with cookies turned off as my site wont function properly for these people?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Not many i would imagine but PHP has a feature to pass the session ids via the urls, you know hwen you see SESSID=42afklajflafj24323 or what ever. Every user will get a unique session id and to keep track of them every link in ur site gets a variable added on top them that passes the session id

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yeah PHP does that alright, adds the PHPSESSIONID to the URL if cookies are disabled.

Why wouldn't your site work without cookies enabled? Unless it's a web application or something.

If it completely falls over without cookies, google will most likely not crawl it, and that is a major issue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

colm_c wrote:
    Yeah PHP does that alright, adds the PHPSESSIONID to the URL if cookies are disabled.

Why wouldn't your site work without cookies enabled? Unless it's a web application or something.

If it completely falls over without cookies, google will most likely not crawl it, and that is a major issue IMO.

You can use most of the site but if you want to post anything you have to be logged in, and the login details are stored in sessions.

Advertisement