Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum

Options
  • 01-07-2006 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Would anybody be able to tell (direct me to something) me how to build a simple forum like this one?

http://forum.freewebdot.com

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Does it have to be like that one...?or any free forum...?check out my one in my siganture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Well Ive tried punbb, phpbb, mybb, xmb, smf, snitz. These guys have all maessed me about with charset problems..

Invison Power / vBulletin look great, but they cost money.

That's why I would liek to build my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

in fairness if you have to ask then it more than likely means you don't have any scripting background. What is your background?

Just HTML & CSS

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What charset problems?

• Advertisement

Whenever I had phpBB or any other software they wouldnt let me type €,£ or % etc. symbols. If I knew how to sort this I would use phpBB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

go into phpmyadmin and make sure you're using utf8 as your charset.

I am - I got it sorted I had to edit the lang_main.php file.

Also would anybody knwo where to get a wiki and if it would be easy to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You want mediawiki, I installed it so that means it's easy enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just get a PHPBB. I believe its included with many pretty basic packages from www.blacknight.ie and www.hosting365.ie

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Zascar wrote:
    Just get a PHPBB. I believe its included with many pretty basic packages from www.blacknight.ie and www.hosting365.ie
    He's already said he's tried this and had problems ;)

The more interesting question is what is causing these problems. Sure it's not just your own machine? I've never had character-related problems with any forum system.

See I'm with a free host at the moment and they could be the problem, I hope to move to a paid host soon.

If I was to use the wiki would I use it on Windows or Linux platform? I ask this because I uploaded it on to the linux and clicked on www.dublintransport.com/wiki and then it says error...

The instructions regrading the config folder? are a bit unclear too

change the file permissions on the config file to 777 temporarily.

Also, I'd say the free host is almost certainly the problem, if it's lycos or the like.

No it's freewebdot.com, a friend recomended them

This is the page were my wiki is located and the error message:

http://www.dublintransport.com/wiki/config/index.php

hmm, you appear to be too limited as to what you have access to on the server, unsurprising really.

I don't expect mediawiki will install properly, but my rare encounters with open_basedir were just me being sloppy when writing code.

Decent shared hosting is inexpensive. I'd recommend dreamhost from my own experiences.

Advertisement