Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Clubbing Cork

Options
  • 01-07-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Greetings

I done a similar sort of post last week on the Limerick forum and it was a great help.

What nightclubs are down in cork? Where do you go? Wheres good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Fast Eddies have Go Deep every Saturday with Greg and Shane.
    Savoy gets in some big name dj's too. Wouldn't know much about the alternatives...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They all suck major ass, imo.

The list includes:

The Savoy
    Fast Eddies
    Redz
    Rafterz (students only)
    Cubans
    Havana Browns
    The Qube

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Some specific nights:

Freakscene at The Qube (Wednesday nights, rock/alternative)
    Innercity at Fast Eddies (Friday nights, house/electro)
    Go Deep at Fast Eddies (Saturday nights, house with Greg & Shane (the guys from the legendary, now closed, Sir Henry's)

There's one as well at the White Rooms in the Bodega (don't know much it though)

There's also a certain British chain "super-club" in Cork I'm not mentioning. :mad:

Anyone know if Club One is re-opening? Vibes/Mangans hasn't been mentioned yet either. Most of them are the same old crap apart from the specific nights I listed aboue.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

plazzTT wrote:
    There's also a certain British chain "super-club" in Cork I'm not mentioning. :mad:

He's referring to Blu Bambu ... pretty run of the mill. Never have any exciting DJ's from the few times i've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There's a new club above Clancy's as well - the Liquid Lounge. It was nice enough and even had table service but the music was apalling. I haven't been there since Christmas and I haven't heard anybody else talking about it so for all I know it's closed already.

There's a new club above the Classic too. Never been in - all I heard about the place (from a psycho Polish bouncer who has since been fired) is that it's full of posers.

An Cruiscin Lan have delusions of being a club too. It's a late bar but they actually have some pretty decent gigs on. Last I heard they have an 'alternative' DJ in on Fridays which is supposed to be good too, but I'm always busy Fridays.

There's also the City Limits. I've only been there on a couple of Saturday nights and the atmosphere was really more like a late bar than a club, but the DJ is hot and she plays great music. Must look up who's in the Comedy Club this week........

It's quite a list when you stop to think about it. I'd say everywhere's been mentioned by now except for the gay clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

It's quite a list when you stop to think about it. I'd say everywhere's been mentioned by now except for the gay clubs.

The Other Place, Instinct. Is that place Taboo (off Patrick Street) still open?

So that makes 15 or so clubs in Cork.

Half Moon Club, Everyman Palace. Someone else will have to tell you about these i've never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Kickback on Fridays in the Everyman is a good night.
    As is Goldsoundz at the Bodega.

Noone mentioned City Limits aka The Comedy club

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

im sure taboo is long closed, i could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

tom-thebox wrote:
    Greetings

I done a similar sort of post last week on the Limerick forum and it was a great help.

What nightclubs are down in cork? Where do you go? Wheres good?

did you do this same discussion on limerick? did you find about the distinct lack of nightclub variety??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

:D Nobody's mentioned Mangans! Kip... or that place that's next to it... Club Renaissance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Fast Eddies have Go Deep every Saturday with Greg and Shane.
    Savoy gets in some big name dj's too. Wouldn't know much about the alternatives...

are thoes two still going.... jezzzzzzzzus they must be in their 40,s now...

they will or have ended up like the old perv in Henry's years ago.

Aspiration wrote:
    :D Nobody's mentioned Mangans! Kip... or that place that's next to it... Club Renaissance?

No they didnt and for good reason. Now you have. :mad:

If you like night club brawls with bouncers with an IQ of 2 then be sure to go to Mangens but if you value your life don't bother heading down that end of the lane at night.

^whitey^ wrote:
    No they didnt and for good reason. Now you have. :mad:

If you like night club brawls with bouncers with an IQ of 2 then be sure to go to Mangens but if you value your life don't bother heading down that end of the lane at night.

I apologise. :p It's pretty dire alright though, dunno how they're still getting business. I dunno, most clubs in town wreck my head. They go from one extreme (Blambu) to another (Mangans). :confused:

Aspiration wrote:
    I apologise. :p

Sorry about that rant :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Are the Half Moon still doing club nights? Haven't been since Camouflage finished there (a damn shame really, especially with the way Freakscene's gone a bit, well, rubbish). The Savoy really should be a better club than it is, the venue is great but I've yet to be in there on a regular night without the music being pretty crap (even by cork club standards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

All the clubs in Cork are fairly rubbish, although in my inebriated state, I do seem to have a certain penchant for Fast Eddies... Oh, the shame! Freakscene in The Qube (Wednesday nights) can be worth a look, but it tends to be very hit-and-miss.

^whitey^ wrote:
    Sorry about that rant :)

No problem :)

Fast Eddies is strange. For a club I hate which plays chronic music, they had a Chili's cover band playing for CIT's Christmas Day last year... although then and again, the band weren't great either, and I do suppose it was CIT who organised the whole shebang.

As Fysh said, the Savoy is a good venue but my god the music in there is dire. Freakscene is getting boring, they play the same tracks week in, week out. The place on the second floor is more entertaining to be honest.

No, I think I'll stick with the Brog/Fransiscan/Quad for a bit longer...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

was in the savoy last night (satruday), music was as to be expected but the place was packed and there was good atmosphere (even if there was a drought on elegible males...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

On Saturday my friend and I visited the following:

The Classic - crap
    Havana Browns - worse - that place should be shut down.
    Fast Eddies - had a good old dance there but not impressed by the crowd.
    The Qube - oh dear!

Oh yeah was in Scotts on Thursday night - oh how I laughed!

I am constantly disappointed at the level of crapness of the nightclubs in Cork. If I had money I'd open up my own. There's absolutely no talent around in Cork either! Then again myself and my friend were so demented the other night that we probably couldn't see them or else they were running from us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I was in the Savoy on Saturday night. The smoke coming from the floor was from me because i was on fire. Yowwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

So what's the best alternative or interesting music club of a weekend? The white rooms? Anyone know of any place that does jazz or latin music?

Yeah - I totally need the name of an interesting club too. And one with interesting and intellectually and sexually stimulating men that frequent said club in Cork - be there one?:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Deer wrote:
    Yeah - I totally need the name of an interesting club too. And one with interesting and intellectually and sexually stimulating men that frequent said club in Cork - be there one?:)

No.

Oh dear. Guess I'll have to stick to drinking myself stupid so that everyone I talk to is intellectually and sexually stimulating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Deer wrote:
    Yeah - I totally need the name of an interesting club too. And one with interesting and intellectually and sexually stimulating women that frequent said club in Cork - be there one?:)

I frequently wonder this, too. And apparently the answer is no. This is, allegedly, why house parties are the answer. (Though I never understood that, as it implies that, while unable to find attractive & interesting & presumably single folk in a nightclub, you somehow have access to a large reservoir of them when throwing a party at your house).

I'll settle for somewhere not crap with a late license and a propensity to play metal or hard rock (ie not Freakscene with its "well, we play Green Day so we're punk" music policy and crap choice of venue).

OI, im an interesting and smart chick that occasionally visits clubs, i take vague offence that we don't exist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Deer wrote:
    On Saturday my friend and I visited the following:

The Classic - crap
    Havana Browns - worse - that place should be shut down.
    Fast Eddies - had a good old dance there but not impressed by the crowd.
    The Qube - oh dear!
    you must have spent a fortune?
    The Classic - if you went upstairs - €12 (approx)
    Havana Browns - €14 - on a sat night anyway
    Fast Eddies - I have no idea, I haven't been there since college, and it cost me £5!
    The Qube - what is it, €5 after 11.30, is it more on a Sat night?

so that's €30 - €40 just on going to different venues?
    unless you are a garda, or you were out with one who could get you in for free, I don't see the point, that's a crazy amount of money, when there's perfectly good late bars that you can go to for free! The Bodega, the Bróg, the Quad, the Slate, even the Oak is better than paying your way into Havana Browns on a Saturday night!

• Advertisement

Oh - I know - we drank a bottle of cava and half a bottle of vodka before we even went out so we were a bit restless to say the least. And my friend is a wagon - she dragged me!

Was in Bodega. Could have stayed there quite happily. Didn't pay for Qube or for Classic. Not with guard though. Fast Eddies was €15.00 because of some DJ night. Can remember arguing with the lady at the ticket desk about that.

Can I just reiterate though that I personally feel that Havana Browns is the village of the damned - and not in a fun anything goes debaucherous way:mad: I refuse point blank to ever darken that door.

Think I'll try the Savoy after Cork week. Is the music good?

Where is the Slate?

Advertisement