Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why such a price difference between 195/50/15 + 195/55/15 tyres?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Fookin links dont go properly.
    Basically the Toyo proxe in /55 is E76.20 but only E53.90 in /50

Bridgestone Potenza is E88 in /55 and only E56.50 in /50 form.

I thought i`d get 15"tyres for a decent price no matter what size, but i aint paying E88 for 1 tyre. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

Isnt the middle number to do with tyre height i.e height of sidewall in % terms of width. Therefore just means that a 50 will be "low profile" compared to a 55.

I expect that the 50 is just more common than a 55 and hence the price difference. Cant be that much extra rubber!

Double check with a tyre dealer on the phone but dont think that using a 50 over 55 will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I was at a tyre place looking at some alloys. There was an alloy with a 195/55/15 tyre on it and i brought it out and placed it beside my original wheels on the car. Your man showed me how they wernt lining up, it was too low or something, and something that it wasnt lining up with the nuts, he said the 55 would fill the arch. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

basically the sidewall on the 195/55 is a bit thicker, so it will slightly raise the ride height of the car, as well as filling out the arches

195/50 is a very common size and is always cheaper than 185/55 or 195/55's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OP- You don't mention the speed ratings of the two tyre choices. Its quite possible that the tyres with the 55 aspect ratio are H rated and the 50's are V or even Z. The higher the rating the softer the compound affording more grip. More grip = more €€€€.

• Advertisement
Advertisement