Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reposessing a car;

Options
  • 01-07-2006 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any ideas how to repossess a car? A car given to a car dealer who doesn't want to give it back? Is it legal to just go a collect the car with a spare key? Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on why the dealer has the car in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Was given it to show some one. No monies owed or anything.

and why won't they just give it back? You must be on fairly good terms with them if you're lending them a car?

I think he's trying to pull a scam.

If you're not regularly dealing with this garage, you could call the guards?

• Advertisement

Contacted the guards and they say call to him in person and gives him the option of paying or give back car and give him a few days and if that doesn't work report it stolen. I think the car will dissappear if I give him this option tbh.

I reckon you should get a couple of mates together.......
    You could just report it stolen, the guards can't prove that you didn't give him the option to pay

Is this guy a trader, or does he have a garage?

He's a trader, the car is now located in the showroom of another dealer who the trader has ties to.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

bring a few mates with u and have a chat with the dealer while one of ur mates takes the car back with the spare key.Just dont park the car up any where the dealer knows while they still have a key.The car is ur rght to take it back

if it is in a showroom just go down and ring the guards and ask get them to come down.

• Advertisement

is it one of the cars on the list there?

If I go on to the property of the other dealer I'd be trespassing and I'd get arrested for taking my own car back.:(

colm_mcm wrote:
    is it one of the cars on the list there?
    No, its a lot more valuable than those. :(

I reckon get the guards involved, or talk to the garage owner that has the car. show him that it's yours and threaten him with legal action, rather than talking to the dealer?

I really want to get possession of the car rather than get it impounded and have it sitting in a lock up for months untill its all sorted out. I think I might see if the gaurds will come up to the garage where the car is and ask a few questions. I don't want to break the law.

Is this trader an SIMI member?

I don't think the trader is but the garage where the car is is a member. My only concern is that the trader might have done a deal with the garage who now have the car.

I reckon if you talk to the garage in question, they should be very reluctant to buy stolen goods.

does the dealer have the paperwork of the car

Well in fairness to the garage they mightn't have known but if it's not sorted fast they could be in trouble for handling stolen goods once I report it stolen. I think the best line of approach is to get the guards to go with me to the garage and see what they have to say, they might be only selling the car for the trader.

• Advertisement

lanno wrote:
    does the dealer have the paperwork of the car

Yes he does but thats not a major concern, I traded the car from a friend of mine who will vouch that I traded the car in from him and I also have records of the sale and the spare keys.

i go to the garage before he sells on the car he might off bought it from the other trader in good faith

Best of luck!

Thanks I'll need it. All you need is one d***head to f**k up the whole system.:mad:

Suppose it's a lesson ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Bring a lawyer with you to the guards and ask them to come with you to the garage, if they refuse, ou have proof and you can call up on that if the car has been sold on. Just do something and do it quick.

Good luck

colm_mcm wrote:
    Suppose it's a lesson ! ;)

TRUST NO-ONE!
    Thanks for your help everyone.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

If you need somebody to call in to "test drive" it give me a bell ;)

Are you around tomorrow?:)

• Advertisement

.......but they're not open tomorrow........ ;)

Advertisement