Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reposessing a car;

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Yes they are.....;) Really, I'm not breaking in or anything.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I won't judge you if you do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steady on.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Steady on.

Mike.

That's not helping ;)

Just back, I got the drivers door, right wing and the gearbox untill a Rothweiler caught up with me.... I'll try for the rest in an hour or two....phew.:D

• Advertisement

just remember what order you took the bits off in. installation is the exact reverse of removal, remember that and you'll be grand

Whatever about the right order I hope it was the right car! Its dark you know.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just call the guards and afterwards if nothing is done just go with a spare key and drive off.at the end of the day its yours.how is the dealer pulling a scam and what car is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

*in best Johny Cash voice* I got it one piece at a time, and it didnt cost me a dime.....its a 49 /50 /51 /52 /53 /54 / 55 / 56 .....etc
    Acording to the song, didnt the car have 2 lights on one side, and 1 on the other? lol

Any news on this Junkyard?

If you have any guarda friends (and everyone usually knows one or two) get his / her input on what to do. If they tell you what is within your rights to do, you can go to your local station and not get fobbed off.

If 'possession is 9/10ths of the law', then I like the 'test drive' option. Afterall, you are just taking back what you already own. But get friend-garda opinon, as they may tell you to do something that an 'official' guard in a staion could not tell you to do. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

go for a test drive in it with the guy you said could vouch for you and take a "wrong turn" into a garda station that you have aranged with a garda to meet you there. if the car is registered to you it will be on PULSE in the station. just have any paper work or ID that you can get with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I think you should take legal advice on this.

Sounds like he has sold it to the other dealer/trader for them to have it in there show room.

If you have legal entitlement you can report it as being stolen to the Garda and give them the key for it, they will go and pick it up for you. The dealer who has procession of it at the moment cant do nothing once the car is reported as stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ring the police and report it stolen, anything else is crazy.
    call a solicitor then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't think Junkyard has the log book therefore the Gardai will have no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bond-007 wrote:
    I don't think Junkyard has the log book therefore the Gardai will have no interest.

well if hes not the registered owner, a solicitor is the only option, with a high court injunction to stop the car being sold or moved. all going to cost $$$, perhaps a friendly chat to find out what the story is before calling in the heavies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Perhaps I'm a bit naive/stupid.. but how on earth did anyone come to be in possession of your car, and your documents, without you having received money in the opposite direction??

Why did you hand over your car to this seemingly unscrupulous character in the first place?

In the first place the motor trade is a very small world when push comes to shove. Car dealers are always moving stock around to try and sell i.e. if one dealer can sell someone else's car it a case of showing it to the customer and if they buy, the vehicle licensing cert needs to be signed therefore this accounts for the cert going with the car. It is extremely rare for one dealer to pull a scam on another dealer because the dealer who pulls the scam quickly loses credibility and no other dealer would trust him. Its all built on trust really and I know you're all thinking of some smart comment about associating "trust" and "car dealer" but it does exist.
    Anyway the matter was resolved on Sunday morning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anyway the matter was resolved on Sunday morning

prey tell ...how?

all a misunderstanding ...smiles and handshakes all round ...or did the solution involve aluminium baseball bats ???

:D:D:D

It involved a vice, a hammer action drill and a lot of pain.;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

So I take it you handed over the car and the docs in the first place as you actually wanted to have your car sold, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Why in gods name would you give someone, one of your cars to flash without knowing them. Com'on yeah the trade may be fairly close but why the hell would you trust someone you dont know.

Id say if you dont have the log book or even a copy of it, your fairly stuck unless you were once the registered owner and then get the gaurds to contact shannon and that should prove something.If the dealer who now has the car is any way decent you should first contact them and let them know the 411 ya know

• Advertisement

Why in gods name would you give someone, one of your cars to flash without knowing them. Com'on yeah the trade may be fairly close but why the hell would you trust someone you dont know.

Id say if you dont have the log book or even a copy of it, your fairly stuck unless you were once the registered owner and then get the gaurds to contact shannon and that should prove something.If the dealer who now has the car is any way decent you should first contact them and let them know the 411 ya know

I know the other guy, I used to work with him and I have the car back. Thanks for the help everyone, case closed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Sorry, but that whole story smelt like crap from start to finish. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Care to elaborate on how you got it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Stephen wrote:
    Care to elaborate on how you got it back?

Not being nosey or anything, but I would like to know the same thing. Don't have to go into great detail but i ever so curious :rolleyes:

Hj

Advertisement