Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric car faster than Ferrari and Porsche!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder how far the batteries will take you though? probably only 1/2 a mile

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

150 miles, then you charge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Its great to see further advancements being made in electric motor powered vehicle developement. If oil runs out and there is no alternative then this forum will be very quiet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    Its great to see further advancements being made in electric motor powered vehicle developement. If oil runs out and there is no alternative then this forum will be very quiet:D

Electricity these days is generally made from..... wait for it.... oil! ;)

Our grandchildren might enjoy energy from nuclear fusion, but for the next few decades it can only be hydrogen cars with the hydrogen having been produced using energy from conventional nuclear plants...

The best short to medium term solution imho is diesel, obviously with latest generation particulate filters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

That looks just like an arial atom!

side4.jpg

The Atom is an awesome car. I saw one at a track day in the UK a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

It is based on the Ariel Atom, but with the petrol engine substituted for an electric motor. Beating supercars like the Ferrari and Porshe isn't too surprising though, having a huge amount of torque at 0 rpm and the fact that the electric motor is much more energy efficient than a petrol engine, (although i must admit, i do love the roar of the two supercars).
    Main problem with electric cars is the energy storage (heavy batteries), if they could develop a new lighter form of storage (Superconductors would be very nice..), range would be hugely increased. Unfortunately i doubt it if the oil companies would like to see a technological revolution in electric cars.

I think for now diesels will get better and more efficient and cleaner (especially if using vegetable oils as a fuel) Also a lot of improvments are being made to increase their power. Not a direct comparison, but look up Audi's R10 Le Mans car. It is diesel powered 5.5l with 650 bhp and chassis twisting 1100 Nm of torque, and went on to win the Le Mans against petrol powered cars due in part to its better efficiency. Peugeot are also getting into the mix for the 2007 race with their 908, which will be even more powerful...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

electric is a funny one, the production of it from fossil fuels is a very lossy process. In fact it takes twice as much energy (roughly) to produce one unit of electrical energy from fossil fuel than it does using it in an engine. From this perpective its hard to see how is is percieved as clean.

The other side of the arguement is that an electric motor uses no energy when stopped, still though you are talking about near-enough 50% loss when producing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

from a clean air point of view, electric cars move the polution out of town.

Advertisement