Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio collar fence systems

Options
  • 01-07-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Help! Has anyone bought a radio collar fence system for their dog? I just bought a canifugue system which is supposed to work with up to 400m of wire. I used 300m and spent the day setting it up and when I finally turned it on, its total rubbish and will only work when the collar is practically touching off the wire. The dog just walked past the wire with the collar on. I am so annoyed. I sent the company an email and I hope there is something faulty but there is nothing wrong with the way I set it all up. Has anyone used this system before?
    I need to keep my airdale on my site. She runs out on the road after cyclists and we already had someone call the guards or so he claims.
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah my brother has one for his mad terrier. He rarely breaks the fence though. I would assume something is faulty. Theres a battery in the collar, isnt there? Check the little things again and make sure you didnt leave anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

yeah I know they should work and I have triple checked everything. battery is in there and all lights are on etc. Its like the transmitter is not sending enough power through the wire. I'll get a new battery anyway just to eliminate that tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dog runs are more reliable esp. on an open site plus you can lock it to prevent anyone coming in and letting the dog out on you. I'd be lost without ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Some dogs are just immune to it ;). An acqaintence of mine swore by his *invisible* fence and then he got 2 new dogs. They just walked across the *boundary* and never batted as much as an eye lid. I wouldn't trust these things at all and am with GPR on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Another issue with this type of fence is that while it *may* keep your dog in it certainly won't keep other dogs out so what is to stop a couple of rampaging hounds from setting upon your dog and doing it some serious injuries? Also, if your dog is already used to chasing cyclists and such it may cross the fence with enough speed when it spots one to render the fence useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What's a "Dog Run"?

I assume it's a large enclosure, but mind clearing me on this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Cruel, horrible things. Don't use them, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Which is, the Radio Collar or the "Dog Run" ? :confused:

Everyone I have already bought and installed the system. Can any help me with my original post?

thanks
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Paul,

I don't know your system. Maybe something is faulty, maybe you need a heavier collar. Some dogs don't response to lighter once. Could be because they are just stubborn, could also be because of a thick coat.

We had a system from Petsafe for our two dogs (Irish wolfhounds) and fenced 4 acres of land. It worked pefect untill we got a puppy. Because we found her to young for the collar she was allowed to walk free. Result ofcourse that she was happily strolling around our little village (only 8 houses) and the others didn't like that, so they just passed the line. Now all our dogs are of the collar and we fenced an acre of land. We will eventually fence all our land with electric cattle fence.

The idea of putting your dog in a run isn't a good one unless you build it as big as your garden is. Dogs need to be able to run when they want and a run is not big enough. Either you make a fence from messed wire sheets (That what we have at the moment, or you use elctric fence, or you have to keep your dog inside when he's on his own.

And never mind what they say about not using this method. There is absolutely no harm in it for the dogs. They get three times a little shock and then they know. It's more harmfull to put them whole day long in a run or on a chain, where they can't go anywhere.

Succes.

Mariejeanne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doogle deegan

I have one aswell an find it great. Paul try tighting the collar a little. Or cutting the hair away from under the metal pieces. Does your system allow you to make the distance from the coller to the wire bigger for when it works? On ours we set it at about .5m untill the dogs were used to it and then we made the distance smaller. Now they never get shocked but never leave the garden either. As soon as they hear the beep they move backwards. They know the boundry

luckat wrote:
    Cruel, horrible things. Don't use them, please.

They are not cruel or horrible. Would you rather your dog gets run over or gets in trouble? They are for correcting the dogs behaviour problems and the dogs wont fear you for correcting them.

Ok so Petsafe have one that actually works. Doogle Deegan what make of system have you got?
    My problem is not with the dogs hair being too long or loose collar because if I just hold the collar on its own and walk it to the fence it only beeps when practically touching the wire. .5m would be perfect if I could get that! I have the transmitter set to max warning zones so obviously I bought a dud system. Maybe I could get on to petsafe to get one of their transmitters and collars.

Thanks
    Paul

I have one aswell an find it great. Paul try tighting the collar a little. Or cutting the hair away from under the metal pieces. Does your system allow you to make the distance from the coller to the wire bigger for when it works? On ours we set it at about .5m untill the dogs were used to it and then we made the distance smaller. Now they never get shocked but never leave the garden either. As soon as they hear the beep they move backwards. They know the boundry

Be careful how much hair you do cut. My wife told me the other day that the groomers where she works cut some hair around the dogs neck like the owner asked (probably too much because when the collar went back on and the dog got a shock, that was the end of him :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doogle deegan

kerinsp wrote:
    Ok so Petsafe have one that actually works. Doogle Deegan what make of system have you got?
    My problem is not with the dogs hair being too long or loose collar because if I just hold the collar on its own and walk it to the fence it only beeps when practically touching the wire. .5m would be perfect if I could get that! I have the transmitter set to max warning zones so obviously I bought a dud system. Maybe I could get on to petsafe to get one of their transmitters and collars.

Thanks
    Paul

I cant remember the brand we have i will find out and post it tomorrow. I know we did buy it from a company based in kildare who advertised in the farmers journal. Hope thats some help. I will get the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Kerinsp,

I have a Pac radio collar system around my house to contain my labrador.

Two items to note on setting your system

a. There may be different settings relating to the length of cable
    being employed to circle your property, check that it is on the
    right setting.

b. There is an inbuilt cut off switch in the collar unit that sometimes
    needs to be reset. i.e. cuts off transmission of stimulus to collar unit.
    After charging up the collar unit, it may have been in close proximity to
    the transmitter and picking up feed. In a situation like this the collar unit
    shorts out until manually reset by the owner. This is an inbuilt safety
    precaution should the dog become trapped close to the transmitter item.

My collar unit is reset by rubbing a magnetised strip along a marked section of the collar unit.

Did you not get a tester unit with the whole kit on purchase?

Ruu wrote:
    (probably too much because when the collar went back on and the dog got a shock, that was the end of him :( )

So much for not being cruel or horrible :confused:

Arcadian wrote:
    So much for not being cruel or horrible :confused:

You're saying like it was intentional or something.:rolleyes:

No, simply factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I had one when I first moved - a petsafe model. We only had a 5 foot fence & the dogs would clear it without a second thought to go play with the farmers cattle so when we put in the new fences they attempted to get over those too.

We used the radio fence along with the new boundary fence & spent 2 weeks training them to it - never had a problem. Used it for about 6 months & haven't needed to use it in over a year now.

The one I used had 5 different levels of intensity & a 2 or a 3 was enough for my dogs. (A 3 was a mild shock - I tried all the settings on myself first)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the response. I finally got bloody thing working. One or maybe all of the plastic connector pieces were not connecting the ends of the wires correctly. After cutting these off and just stripping the wire ends and overlapping them it works well. Hopefully it wont take my dog long to understand whats going on but so far she is responding well. (She did sprint through the shock once already but I dont think she will try that again)

It will be such a relief now if works and she doesn't sprint out onto the road after people on bikes and horses etc.
    I'll be gradually making the warning zones smaller and smaller for her and eventually turning it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

kerinsp wrote:
    I'll be gradually making the warning zones smaller and smaller for her and eventually turning it off

I don't know what you mean by this, but the dog has to keep the collar on all the time and she must hear the beep. That's her warning sign. If she ever crosses without that beep, then you have to start all over again and that's not the way it's ment to be.

The only time you take the collar of, is when you take her for a walk outside the fenced area.

what I mean is that our system has an adjustable warning zone. At the max its set to about 5M. If she goes into the warning zone it beeps and yes she does respond very well to that. The shock zone is about 1m. I can dial down the warning zone to just over 1 m if I want to later. This system is working very well now and I am happy with it.

Advertisement