Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching the Cadetship competition

Options
  • 01-07-2006 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is going to be long. For that I apologise. It's the culmination of a lot of worries and unanswered questions. Any answers would really be greatly appreciated!

Next year I'll be going into sixth year and doing the leaving certificate. At the moment I'm still undecided about exactly what I want to do after school. One of the options I'm still exploring is entering the Army Cadetship competition with the aim of entering as a school leaver. I'm also open to the idea of going through college and then entering the competition as a graduate, which I understand has benefits over entering as a school leaver. Can anyone shed any light on the two different ways of entering. Entering as a school leaver seems attractive as I would be able to go in young, fresh and focussed. Entering as a graduate does seem appealing as well though. I understand one gets a bonus to their score in the competition if they have already completed a degree. By entering this way I'd also have the added comfort of being able to choose my course and take it on my own terms, which I think is important. On the other hand, I'm afraid that I could lose momentum and just not bother trying after college as other, easier careers open up to me. Has anyone here taken a cadetship? In what way did you enter the army? What were you experiences?

Now if I were going to aim for medicine in university I'd make sure that I was totally prepared for the leaving cert exam and the requirements for medicine. I feel the same way with the cadetship competition. For me, now is the time to get preparing, just as I would do in school. I'm a little lost about how I should prepare myself though. Maybe I'll describe myself a little first...

To be honest, I'm a pretty capable guy. In school I'm pretty much straight As and would be aiming for the high 500s in the LC. I'm the student council rep for my class and head of a number of different sub committees within it. I'm prefect responsible for school pride, debating and was asked to head anti-bullying initiative in my school by the assistant principal. I take part in debating, play the guitar (both casually and in various performance settings in school) and regularly play football casually. I take part in the the school choir, though I'm leaving it for sixth year as it is very time consuming. In Transition Year I was among other things (19 in total) editor of the school newspaper, a member of the model UN and model EU teams (and captain in fifth year), a member of the Young Social Innovator presentation team for my year, Young Scientist Highly Commended entry, and production manager for the school play. I've done all the work for a bronze Gaisce but haven't yet completed the paper work for it. I like to organise things and love working on something structured, something I can dedicate myself to. I usually take charge of situations and get people working when no one else is bothering to do in team situations.

It seems a lot on paper but most of that has faded away with fifth year as I've started to concentrate on school work more seriously. I'm also worried that most of it isn't practical enough for the army. While I'm quite good accademically my endeavours in the world of sport aren't that impressive. I'm not a champion hurler, I don't play on the school rugby team and don't play for an properly organised sports club, though I am trying to organise a school football team. I do, upon occasion, train with the school GAA team and do play soccer most days after school with other guys in school but it's not a proper club.

I'm not that impressive physically either. I'm 5'6" or so and weigh 9st. That makes a BMI of 20.7, which is well inside normal weight. I'm just not fit. I'm not muscly and don't possess a huge amount of upper body strength. I can do situps no problem. Push ups and pull ups are a struggle. I find long distance running kind of difficult, though I never seem to have a problem when playing football. I'm not fit but I'm by no means a lost cause. I'm not a strong swimmer either. I've been told that I'm not the kind of person anyone would expect to want to join the army. I am working on fitness though but need some guidance. I'll post on the fitness forum about proper fitness techniques but can anyone here describe some activities that might prepare me for the competition itself and the army, if I am accepted?

So here come the questions. From what I've written, does it look like I have enough hobbies and activities to impress the interviewers? Is there anything that I should do that would particularly stand out? I will be joing the RDF this month. I am also planning to do a first aid course in the near future. What about charity work? I've been thinking about doing some until I go back to school anyway (without the army in mind). I presume that would help. I enjoy camping with friends too and am trying to organise them into hiking the entire Wicklow Way. Is that the kind of thing I should be doing to prepare myself physically and also to impress interviewers. Any other suggestions would be great.

I really want to give it my all. I hate doing things in a half hearted way. Do you think I have a chance in the competition if I improve my fitness? I seriously have no idea. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

If your not in you cant win....
    The letter read like a C.V. And i must say it was quiet impressive although a little much. And the interviewers will say the same. If you get in you will do lots of running. So get a good pair of runners and start running. Join a club there are loads. Do the wicklow way if you want but it will in no way prepare you for the hikes across table top mountain with a heavy back pack on your back. So with that run and run some more. Then slowly introduce weight to long walks on flat land then introduce hills. It will give you a good grounding for the fitness. As for the push ups, just keep doing them. The more you do the easier they become. I was bad at them but did 200 everyday till they were not a problem. As for the college situation its what ever suits yourself. Again the interviewers will see how mature you are, how you are on politics and current affairs. They know if your good enough.
    If you do decide to try now and you get in be prepared for hell. No leave to see mammy and daddy. Sleeping with 30 men in a room, having 5 minutes to shower before dinner but 30 men and only 6 showers, say no more.
    Any more questions PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If your not in you cant win....
    The letter read like a C.V. And i must say it was quiet impressive although a little much. And the interviewers will say the same. If you get in you will do lots of running. So get a good pair of runners and start running. Join a club there are loads. Do the wicklow way if you want but it will in no way prepare you for the hikes across table top mountain with a heavy back pack on your back. So with that run and run some more. Then slowly introduce weight to long walks on flat land then introduce hills. It will give you a good grounding for the fitness.

What exactly do you mean by "impressive although a little much"? Sorry if it looked like I was blowing my own trumpet. I'm really just trying to get a good idea of what they'll be looking for.

The athletics club idea is great. I'll definitely look into joining my local club.

Thanks for the advice man.

Ask anyone that has to do with recruitment. The longer the C.V is the less likely they will read it. It does sound a little tuned up but again they will know if you are worth it in the interview.
    Yes the athletic club is a good idea but remember the other stuff also. Where about in dublin do you live?
    Join the club and get the miles into your legs then introduce the hills and back pack.
    Join the army, hell you would walk the ranger wing selection course if you train properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I live in Dundrum. There's a big athletics club called Dundrum South Dublin Athletics Club, which seems good. I think I'll check them out this week. Hillwalking is something I've been trying to get into as well so I think I'll also investigate joining a proper club, which will hopefully get me started on the hill based training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

hi
    i am currently going through the air corps cadetship , dont worry about fitness 8 months in the curragh will do it for ya;)
    as regards the c.v DONT bull**** they will ask you everything that is impressive or looks made up in the interview, team work is a big part too. if you are goin for 500 plus get a degree then go into army as a officer, more respect and more money is given to officers

• Advertisement

D.S.D are an excellent running club just dont listen to Eddie Mcdonagh to much (head coach). Kona said not to worry about fitness that your time on the curragh will help that and he is right. But before i enlisted i trained just like i told you too. And the training was so much easier because i wasnt one keeping the group back.
    Like you said "i like being prepared" and with that attitude you will go far. You are going to sit an exam you dont just rely on school work, you study hard. So train hard and the curragh will be a doddle. Trust me.
    Ill see you there.

Ravelleman wrote:
    I live in Dundrum. There's a big athletics club called Dundrum South Dublin Athletics Club, which seems good. I think I'll check them out this week. Hillwalking is something I've been trying to get into as well so I think I'll also investigate joining a proper club, which will hopefully get me started on the hill based training.

Ok, you know kingston estate. Up past Wesley school. There is a hill there that i used to train on. It is amazing, hard but worth the effort. Then there is three rock mountain not far. Walk it. Then put a back pack on. Walk it again.

Advertisement