Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your LEAST favourite Irish county???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mr. Brightside

Probably Longford, just cos when I was young the whole family had to make regular trips to Edgewordstown to visit an elderly nun grandaunt, who lived in an awful old folks home. The place just smelled like nuns and death. And she lived until she was 95! Such bad memories. Nuns are not nice people.

Theres something about Offaly as well that I just cant put my finger on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Plug wrote:
    Kilkenny:(:(:(:(
    I rather like Kilkenny. I only appreciated it after living in Dublin, which is a cesspool of ****e.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A lot of the pro-Cork people think it is just Dubs that dislike Cork when in fact it is far more. I am not from anywhere near Dublin even though I do live there. I find bits of Dublin and certain Dublin attitudes/accents nearly as bad as Cork ones, but in general Cork just takes the biscuit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Dublin... not enough Dubliners here anymore. I don't like feeling i need to learn another language to get a Big Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dubs going on about living in the capital city is annoying enough but the "thwarted second city/ Real Capital" guff you get from Corkies is much more irritating. Ditto Mancunians and Catalans. Get over it.

Apart from that, I love the place.
    daveirl wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vanban

It's just the accent of cork people that drives me crazy. they cant say a sentence without the whole high pitch / low pitch thing . .

have to agree though that west cork is beautiful tho .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Probably Longford, just cos when I was young the whole family had to make regular trips to Edgewordstown to visit an elderly nun grandaunt, who lived in an awful old folks home. The place just smelled like nuns and death.
    The manor? Me granny's there. It smells like **** and one of the aul ones in the room ****s herself. I'd prefer to acquaint the back of my throat with a shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

How oft do my thoughts in their fancy take flight
    To the home of my childhood away,
    To the days when each patriot's vision seem'd bright
    Ere I dreamed that those joys should decay.
    When my heart was as light as the wild winds that blow
    Down the Mardyke through each elm tree,
    Where I sported and play'd 'neath each green leafy shade
    On the banks of my own lovely Lee.

And then in the springtime of laughter and song
    Can I ever forget the sweet hours?
    With the friends of my youth as we rambled along
    'Mongst the green mossy banks and wild flowers.
    Then too, when the evening sun's sinking to rest
    Sheds its golden light over the sea
    The maid with her lover the wild daisies pressed
    On the banks of my own lovely Lee
    The maid with her lover the wild daisies pressed

'Tis a beautiful land this dear isle of song
    Its gems shed their light to the world
    And her faithful sons bore thro' ages of wrong,
    The standard St. Patrick unfurled.
    Oh! would I were there with the friends I love best
    And my fond bosom's partner with me
    We'd roam thy banks over, and when weary we'd rest
    By thy waters, my own lovely Lee,
    We'd roam thy banks over, and when weary we'd rest
    By thy waters, my own lovely Lee,

Oh what joys should be mine ere this life should decline
    To seek shells on thy sea-girdled shore.
    While the steel-feathered eagle, oft splashing the brine
    Brings longing for freedom once more.
    Oh all that on earth I wish for or crave
    Is that my last crimson drop be for thee,
    To moisten the grass of my forefathers' grave
    To moisten the grass of my forefathers' grave
    On the banks of my own lovely Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Cork. But only because of that "People's Republic" lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Aard wrote:
    Cork. But only because of that "People's Republic" lark.

Cue cork person to come in and defend their county :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Haha, that's pretty much the gist of this thread. Actually I want to add another few, Fingal County, South County Dublin and Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown because they actually felt they had to be seperate from the rest of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Collie D wrote:
    Haha, that's pretty much the gist of this thread. Actually I want to add another few, Fingal County, South County Dublin and Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown because they actually felt they had to be seperate from the rest of Dublin.
    That's because of the population in those parts. And what about Tipperary North/South; I mean, there's a wtf if ever there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Vegeta wrote:
    Cue cork person to come in and defend their county :rolleyes:

you called?

Yeah yeah, so what?, us corkonians like to defend our county...nothing wrong with that..its healthy.

However, i feel it is unhealthy for people from other county's to get all hot and bothered because of our "people's republic" and to make comments on our defending our county..

Bla Bla...whatever floats your boat..and all that jazz...

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

cork due to all that ridiculously misplaced arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

daveirl wrote:

You do understand everything you've just said is completely negated by the Cork accent, yes? :D

(I'm from Waterford btw - im bracing myself for the slagging)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Collie D wrote:
    Its simple science. like forces repel. two groups of arrogant assholes that think they're better than the rest of the country/county they are in but for different reasons and have horrible accents put on to make themselves feel great. A split was inevitable.

that and they have so much more money and a lower crime rate they were gonna split sooner or later

Edit: But don't worry, its still where you find the salt of the earth. the genuine dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bert174

It has to be Dublin.

Before we had foreign immigrants, these parochial inward looking morons complained about culchies coming to the "big smoke" and taking their jobs.

They look down on the other actual cities ignoring the fact that their "city" is just a collection of villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Big Ears wrote:
    Kilkenny , got some lovely chips there once . That's about the only positive though .

Funny, to hear that from a Tipp person.Do I detect just a hint of jealousy??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Darren wrote:
    My top ten least favourite Irish counties

10. Cork
    9. Cork
    8. Cork
    7. Cork
    6. Cork
    5. Cork
    4. Cork
    3. Cork
    2. Cork
    1. Cork

Cork CV crosses my desk, it's the bin for 3.

You've read my mind here...I hate the rebels/people's republic of Cork/whatever they like to call themselves.

Hate the way they are to be found working everywhere in Ireland, especially in good, better paid professional jobs.But I do admire their go-getter mentality!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Offaly or Cork.

Edenderry is a violent hellhole and a lot (not all) of people I meet from Cork have a serious attitude problem/chip on the shoulder.

"The Real Capital"...I mean wtf..... :rolleyes:

And when there's a united Ireland, they'll be suffering from third city syndrome. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

julep wrote:

most of the scumbags in Leixlip are from middle class families.

They also moved from Dublin/ put on Northside accents..

Cavan. It really is such a stingy place..so typical of the five pubs-one shop that's also the post office.......every village, bar Virginia and and Cavan town...

Donegal's the same, and the accent's terrible. Was there in Anagaire, or..Annagry, I think....the locals physically resented us...just because the majority of us were from Dublin...

Cork, don't like their attitude, but West Cork's lovely....Schull/Goleen...woo for BarleyCove beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dublin, because it's got more culchies in it than any other single county.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

daveirl wrote:

And Shannon. Gotta hate Shannon town (no offence to Shannon people, but I worked there for 2 years and absolutely despise the place). West Clare is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

From what I've seen most of the comments here relate to towns and cities but not the counties as a whole. Dublin has some horrible parts and some very nice parts. You can say the same of any county in the country. If you are going to talk about least favourite counties, then you have to deal with the county as a whole. Otherwise this thread should really be called "Your least favourite city or town."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Don't like Offaly just because there's nothing there. One fella tried to convince me Tullamore was a city because it had a bridge.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Offally, i hate the place, most boring place on earth.

Roscommon is lovely,

As for Cork, no harm in us taking pride in our County, we just say things to wind ye up dont get so serious or pissed off about it as its all done in jest like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Offally, i hate the place, most boring place on earth.

Roscommon is lovely,

As for Cork, no harm in us taking pride in our County, we just say things to wind ye up dont get so serious or pissed off about it as its all done in jest like.

yes!!!!

one for the Rossies.:D :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Cork, being from dublin the light hearted "Oh, nobodys perfect" banter just gets old really quickly, WTF. Cork should be the capital, right ok fine lets do it. The peoples republic bull**** ,yeah, ok.

Dublin aint so bad or at least doesnt seem so bad after living in cork for a year and a half, on the whole dubs are pretty down to earth its just that the scumbags are a bit more vocal with their ****headedness, pollution and traffic are ****, but as someone said earlier there is always something to do.

Advertisement