Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your LEAST favourite Irish county???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Oh no, they were SINGING?
    They're as bad as the Nazis, aren't they? :rolleyes:

The bitterness and jealousy in this thread is very amusing. Keep it up folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

try to keep this a little more civilised please.

Cork people, please lighten up.
    everyone else, please stop calling Cork people scumbags and the like.
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I don't see the problem with Cork at all. I think it's one of the best Counties in the country. West Cork has some gorgeous scenery, especially around Bandon and Skibbereen. I prefer Galway though. Especially West Galway.

As a Clare man myself I agree with the comments made about East Clare. It's not as bad as that in the rest of the county though!

I'm not too fond of Dublin. It scares me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

sjones wrote:
    I'm not too fond of Dublin. It scares me.

If I was a Clare man, I would not be too fond of Dublin - especially with the hiding you are going to get there on Sunday.

In truth I am really looking forward to the game, the Clare fans are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

LOL, well put

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A girl i work with was down in cork city last weekend. She was telling me they had randomers coming up to them and shouting at them to p*** off back to dublin.

Gladly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ruu wrote:
    Anything for you Pighead my old chum. :)

On the take already? Corrupt mod, I demand a tribunal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ok, but you're paying for it.
    off to the legal forum with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

If you want to know what Irish roads were like 100 years ago......go to Offaly.
    Clara is a good road spotting site (Or shud I say pot-hole spotting??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Collie D wrote:
    On the take already? Corrupt mod, I demand a tribunal

I received yours in the post today, thanks. It shall be done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

As a guy from Cork (county, not city) who has lived in Limerick for the last 6 years, I get sick of defending Cork when I'm in Limerick and defending Limerick when I'm in Cork. I can totally see why this thread is up in arms about Cork though. They (Cork city folk) are way too quick to judge Limerick based on its rep even though they've never visited the place. Limerick is a grand spot, its pretty ugly in places but at least the people as a whole don't have an attitude problem or a big chip on their shoulder. Having said that, Cork has loads of merit too - pity about the prevailing attitude though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Darren wrote:
    If I was a Clare man, I would not be too fond of Dublin - especially with the hiding you are going to get there on Sunday.

In truth I am really looking forward to the game, the Clare fans are great.

Ahh the Dub humour, haha... right! Clare will do the job without breaking a sweat. :p

Back on topic though, I've only been to Dublin three or four times, and I found the city was too big for me. I'm like that though, I lived in Cork for a long enough spell and it kinda scared me too so I moved out to county Cork and liked it much better there.

I wouldn't mind living in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

julep wrote:
    please stop calling Cork people scumbags and the like.
    thanks.

I think they are using the term Pissheads.

cornbb wrote:
    I can totally see why this thread is up in arms about Cork though. .

So can i actually.
    I have to stress that i am from the county too , and i don't have much to do with the city folk as i do find them abit much most of the time, i rarely venture out in the city, but when i do i am usually with a group of friends that i stick with. I do know some city people that i get on with, but i guess its the same in every county , there's always a certain area that you couldnt be bothered with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah I guess the Cork dissing is getting awful serious. I have a loada cork friends and they are all the soundest people I have ever met. Cornbb for example.

But I have a load of cork enemies too, from work, etc. And the amount of "I love Cork soooooooooo much" **** just gets you down, the moaning about money, out for themselves mob of inner-city gutter talkers. That mob. Its just an entire goddamn county half-full of people screaming loudly at great length in a ridiculous accent.
    So I guess Im saying, Cork ppl are the marmite of Ireland.

I used to live there too. For like 7 years, went to school there and all.
    The place itself is nice, in reality its probably not as bad as the L's.
    U know. Longford, Leitrim, Louth and the like. Places where worm-farming and ****-stirring are valid career options.
    But its not longfords or leitrims fault that it sucks, it doesnt know any better,
    where-as cork does and should know better!
    Its just the people, that ****ing terrible accent like.
    We should just obtain a court order saying that nobody born in cork is allowed speak unless putting on a hilarious (non-cork) accent.

Or we could get them vocal endocers to make them sound like daleks.
    Though I dont think a dalek would ever moan and moan and moan for 14 years about the cost of a bus to bandon, or the extra 50p for a cab to town...

We should change the Peoples Republic Of Cork t-shirts to Peoples Republic In Cork. So instead of PROCs they would be a bunch of PRICs.

Its just the people, that ****ing terrible accent like.
    We should just obtain a court order saying that nobody born in cork is allowed speak unless putting on a hilarious (non-cork) accent.

Thats a load of bull! I have lived in cork all my life, and i dont have a strong cork accent..never have, never will. i dont put like after everything i say. It the city people that have that accent..there's alot of us in the county too you know.

So u see, u are lucky enough to be the other part of cork. A load of my mates dont have any discernable cork accent either.
    Thank god. But for those who do, do you not think that the vocal encoder would work as an idea?

I lived there for 7 years and even I had the accent leaving there.
    Though every county has its own ridiculously hilarious accent to slag the hole off of.

Though every county has its own ridiculously hilarious accent to slag the hole off of.

exacly. i think the clare/tipp accents are awful.

But its still more fun slagging cork ppl for it.
    They take it a lot more seriously u know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

whassupp2 wrote:
    If you want to know what Irish roads were like 100 years ago......go to Offaly.
    Clara is a good road spotting site (Or shud I say pot-hole spotting??)

*Cough*

I think you'll find that a 1/2km stretch of road between Geashill and Tullamore was recently refurbished!

Take that and stick it in your pipe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The East Cork accent is pretty funny.. "How feaar is it to Dungeaarvan?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

djmarkus wrote:
    Nobody hates monaghan then?
    Most certainly. I live there and can tell you that it's a soaked, grey dreary bog, in which >99% of the population are boring, small-minded, xenophobic yokels who can't see further than the next town down the road and spend ALL of their free time gossiping about the most trivial matters "I saw you walking down such-a-such-a-place the other day and you weren't wearing a coat" is a favourite conversation starter. "Did you hear that such-a-such-a-person is getting divorced" No because I don't know that person and don't care. And don't get me started on their tendency to shot one another over rights to drive cattle through particular gates or along particular lanes...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

agamemnon wrote:
    Oh no, they were SINGING?

They can sing all they want but not over a blokes shoulder when he is having a p***.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

L&#233 wrote: »
    Laois and um, yeah mostly just Laois.

What's wrong with Laois?

I don't really know about my least favourite county.. If I had to choose I'd say Dublin. The accent really gets to me sometimes.. no offence to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

djmarkus wrote:
    Nobody hates monaghan then?
    Most certainly. I live there and can tell you that it's a soaked, grey dreary bog, in which >99% of the population are boring, small-minded, xenophobic yokels who can't see further than the next town down the road and spend ALL of their free time gossiping about the most trivial matters "I saw you walking down such-a-such-a-place the other day and you weren't wearing a coat" is a favourite conversation starter. "Did you hear that such-a-such-a-person is getting divorced" No because I don't know that person and don't care. And don't get me started on their tendency to shot one another over rights to drive cattle through particular gates or along particular lanes...:mad:

Monaghan.
    The most ignorant county in Ireland.

Westmeath is a close second.

Monaghan - I have been to Monaghan town, Carrickmacross, Castleblaney and Ballybay and found that there is a significant majority of bitter and bigoted people living there.

I was having something to eat in a pub in Castleblaney on the night of the London bombings last year and there were people cheering and clapping at the Sky News footage of the atrocities. A few of them were wearing Celtic shirts.

There is a menacing undercurrent of violence in the place.

Two other reasons to hate the place.

The obnoxious animal that is Patrick McCabe and his work of bile, The Butcher Boy with that horrible Francie guy who acted in the film.

Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Anybody ever been to carlow.
    Sometimes I forget it exists but i still have nothing bad to say abou the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Bambi wrote:
    hopefully this map wil explain why many dubs are perplexed by this thread
    brillaint

anyway i dont mind any irish county but if i had to pick one it would be tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Monaghan.
    The most ignorant county in Ireland.

Westmeath is a close second.

Monaghan - I have been to Monaghan town, Carrickmacross, Castleblaney and Ballybay and found that there is a significant majority of bitter and bigoted people living there.

I was having something to eat in a pub in Castleblaney on the night of the London bombings last year and there were people cheering and clapping at the Sky News footage of the atrocities. A few of them were wearing Celtic shirts.

There is a menacing undercurrent of violence in the place.

Two other reasons to hate the place.

The obnoxious animal that is Patrick McCabe and his work of bile, The Butcher Boy with that horrible Francie guy who acted in the film.

Scum.

They keyword there would be Celtic shirts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Cork peolple annoy my S#*te. They come to places where noboby gives a toss about them and keep telling you how great it is to be from Caark, and how jealous you must be. Nobody cares. Fair play with the All Irelands, but who gives a f##k about minor titles? Or camoige? Nobody. Thats why nobody goes to the matches. And nobody outside of Cork looks at it as any sort of a contender for capital. There's been people on here saying they do it just to annoy Dubs. I don't like Dublin, but I don't thinks anyone in Dublin could care less about Cork. It only winds people up because they keep at it constantly. "I'm from Caark boy. Dat makes me a ligind. Ya langer. Bet you wish you were from Caark too, boy."
    And Dublin. It's a great city, but why do Dubs come down the country and talk so f##king loud in pubs. Dublin wit? Everybodies laughing at you. Next time you're in a pub outside of Dublin, don't bother with the exhibition. You're been loud and annoying. Not funny. Everyone gets the jokes. It's not over their heads. They're just not funny. "Jaysus bud. Me an' de mot wer up ah' de azoo an oi said de monkey looks loike a culchie. Jaysus, I nerly shat meself laughin'. Bud."

Too be honest, I like both places. Espec. West Cork. And the middle of Dublin. Just needed to let off some steam:D

By the way. How many of the people slatin' Leitrim have ever been there? Or spent any time there? Or know many people from there? Thought not.

il gatto wrote:
    but who gives a f##k about minor titles? Or camoige? Nobody. Thats why nobody goes to the matches. .

Sorry, but i'm almost CERTAIN that people actually DO go to the matches, you *bleep*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Camoige? Are you joking? Almost certain doesn't count. A few thousand in Croke Park is pathetic in a stadium which holds 80 odd thousand. Nobody cares about camoige unless they play it or their daughter os sister does. Only people who go to camoige matches are kids and family. A pathetic thing to be boasting about. Irrelevant to nearly everybody.
    And what's with the name calling? That's a bit childish. I thought all this was in good humour. I thought it was full of Caark people winding up everyone else. You don't like it when ye get wound up. Do you?

Advertisement