Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously Hyper Dog - Heeeelp!! >_<;

Options
  • 02-07-2006 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Got a Springer Spaniel and already he's driving me nuts. A friend gave him to me due to his family moving away outside the country.

He's about 2 years old - he's seriously over-hyper. It's impossible to get him to stay still and I've yet to see his tail stop moving. He just doesn't listen, regardless of my tone, and would rather play and jump on you.

I own 2 other dogs now, and others a good few years back - and none were hyper like this boy I've been left with, so I somewhat lack experience for this HYPER [and I do mean hyper - moment I take him off the leash he'd just be running around the garden none-stop for the next few hours <_<; ]. Even bringing him on long walks he'd still be full of energy at the end of it.

Would anyone mind giving me some tips on how to calm this dog down and sort his behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi there,

Springers are generally very active and usually don't really *settle down* until they are 4 or 5.

However, there are some things that can aggravate such behaviour. What are you feeding him on? Check the protein level of your dog food. A non working dog doesn't need more than 18% protein, 20 max. Anything higher than that could drive him up the wall. Had a springer x here in training whos owner was feeding him on 32% protein and he was bonkers. After 3 weeks normal feeding she had a normal dog ;).

Also, are his thyroids ok?

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As a working breed they are full of beans and very active. Before the hyper-ness (if that's a word) causes major problems get in touch with a behaviourist to help with tips. Here's a link http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

HTH

Advertisement