Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we do better than expected?

Options
  • 02-07-2006 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

This is really a question for those who have done the leaving before - When ye got your results were they better than you hoped? Was that the same for all your friends? Or did ye get what ye expected/deserved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes they were better than expected...

i was expecting to get what i got in my mocks (220) and just bearly scrape into my first choice (comp science in DIT which was 220 points) i ended up with 375 which is just as well as comp science went up to 260 last year.
    also many will probably think omg 260 points sure that's easy well feck it i hated the leaving and am damn glad it's over.

i've got a feeling the points for the said course will go down this year though for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭bobneedshelpnow

yeah well last year l.c keep telling me that they totally expected to fail but ended up with high 300 to high 400's and this was the people out every weekend delaying the study until last few weeks but then again i think you know how your going to get on deep down and well im not confident .......though if wrong i'll be sure to get back to you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

no we won't do better than expected.

ive never done better than i expected when it comes to results. i've never really done worse either. everyone knows what they got roughly.

i hate people who deliberately under-estimate their results so as to make themselves feel & look better when the results come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You have to remember that marking is based on a bell curve system whereby marking is adjusted based on performance by all candidates and the standard drops if people are doing crap and vice versa.
    They still have to hand out the quota of A,B,C,and D grades.
    Dont flame me as i dont think it is the most important factor, but it defo has an effect on peoples grades.
    (besides people who under estimate their results might be pessemisstic and have a very "realistic" type personality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I think it depends. for those of you who predicted mock results and did better, you'll probably do better in lc too.
    those who predicted and got results they predicted or worse probably wont do bettet. it depends on the type of person you are....

Also there are people who convince themselves that they did bad so that when results come out they wont be as dissappointed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

smemon wrote:
    i hate people who deliberately under-estimate their results so
    as to make themselves feel & look better when the results come out.

i do that a lot of the time, but trust me.. its not intentional.

i dont think i have ever predicted an A in any exam ever, even if end up getting one. I dont understand how people can be so confident..

i guess im a pessimist, at least this way i might be pleasantly surprised, and rarely am i disappointed.. :o

but yeah.. believe me its not an attempt to make myself look better. (look better to who?!). i wish i had some of you guys' confidence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I don't really know. I know in the Junior Cert I was surprised at how well I did. Can it be that much different for the Leaving. I know people say it's a bigger and more important exam but I'm competing against the same people who did the Junior in 2004 with me so who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

yup, my junior cert results surprised me too, so who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Same wit myself as well but I did my jur in 03. But I think the leavin will be diff!!

Advertisement