Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a joke :/

• 02-07-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

In Malaysia, you could get Broadband in the middle of no where - and yet here I am right beside Ashbourne [BB avaiable there] and just a few KMs away in the Wyestown area I can't get broadband yet...

Rollout is so freakin slow it's beyond a joke!!! Argh!! :mad:

Quote: "Damn Eircom and that Monopolising whore!!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

BeerWolf wrote:
    In Malaysia, you could get Broadband in the middle of no where - and yet here I am right beside Ashbourne [BB avaiable there] and just a few KMs away in the Wyestown area I can't get broadband yet...

Rollout is so freakin slow it's beyond a joke!!! Argh!! :mad:

Quote: "Damn Eircom and that Monopolising whore!!"
    Id say read up this forum before starting threads like that.
    Eircom by no stretch of the imagination have a monopoly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm just back from Leipzig, Germany where the only internet access was over ISDN!!!!

Fortunately we had 32lines and managed a ~2Mb connection :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'm sure that would be ~2Mb "Uncontended" which is nice. but 32 ISDN lines, that must cost a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Really, thats nice to know.
    So, if you want DSL BB how do you get it?
    Who owns all the phonelines and exchanges?
    Who decides what exchanges will be upgraded?
    Who else do you call if you want a phoneline installed?
    If you want to go with another operator who controls their access to the exchange and delay switching over for as long as possible?
    Pop over to the Ireland Off Line and start a thread titled "Eircom by no stretch of the imagination have a monopoly". I'm sure they'll all agree with you.
    OP, Any wireless operators around your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Yeah, my area is covered by some wireless BB company called ICE - but I've been told that wireless isn't really reliable. And living in the countryside surrounded with Trees I'd imagine I would just be plagued by interferences. :(

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    Really, thats nice to know.
    So, if you want DSL BB how do you get it?

Who owns all the phonelines and exchanges?
    Who decides what exchanges will be upgraded?
    Who else do you call if you want a phoneline installed?
    If you want to go with another operator who controls their access to the exchange and delay switching over for as long as possible?
    Pop over to the Ireland Off Line and start a thread titled "Eircom by no stretch of the imagination have a monopoly". I'm sure they'll all agree with you.
    OP, Any wireless operators around your area?
    who said anything about dsl?
    this is the broadband forum.
    broadband is a hell of a lot bigger than dsl...
    wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    who said anything about dsl?
    this is the broadband forum.
    broadband is a hell of a lot bigger than dsl...
    wake up.
    The OP wants BB over the phoneline...ie. DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I don't see a lot of choice. I'm in Dublin and my line fails. IBB is woeful in the area, so my only choice is NTL. Luckily enough thats available. Unfortunately its been patchy over the time I've had it. BB in Ireland is a disgrace. Theres really only the Govt to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

kaizersoze wrote:
    The OP wants BB over the phoneline...ie. DSL.
    nope looks like he wants ANY sort of broadband.
    you yourself even advised wireless.

Eircom DONT have a monopoly of broadband.
    You were wrong and you should just leave it at that, stop grasping at straws.
    This thread has gone OT enough as it is.

OP: IBB/clearwire and the like is probably the way to go.

Via a phone is the only realistic option for many people. While there are other options for some people, whats the problem with complaining about eircom. They deserve all the abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 murrayj

BeerWolf wrote:
    Yeah, my area is covered by some wireless BB company called ICE - but I've been told that wireless isn't really reliable. And living in the countryside surrounded with Trees I'd imagine I would just be plagued by interferences. :(

If you live "out in the countryside" - do you have a cable TV connection? Do you have connection to a public water main? Do you have a gas connection? Do you have connection to the public sewerage mains?

I doubt you have all of these. Why do you expect that private companies such as eircom, British Telecom etc should automatically subsidise the cost of connecting you up in a remote location? This kind of infrastructure costs an order of magnitude more in rural areas than in cities.

Why should those of us who live in cities and towns who have to pay a small fortune for small pieces of property be forced to cross-subsidise those of you who "live in the countryside"?

I don't have a problem with you living there, but please don't expect to get the same level of services you would get in a city or town or at the same price.

I really blame the Govt. who tolerate endless ribbon development between our towns, without asking the question who is going to provide all the infrastructure needed to service these homes. In any other civilised country, the planners have teeth and prevent this kind of ribbon development.

Sorry if this seems a bit tough - but this planning issue really bugs me.

All comes back to the Govt doesn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    This may be true were you live, but eircom is the only choice I have. They've decided all that their going to give me is ISDN. It's costing me €120 a month and there is nothing I can do. How is that not a monopoly.

Its not monopoly of the entire BB market. Just the the Local Loop, and thus any BB market thats dependent on that. Which is the majority of the BB market. Its semantics really.

murrayj wrote:
    If you live "out in the countryside" - do you have a cable TV connection? Do you have connection to a public water main? Do you have a gas connection? Do you have connection to the public sewerage mains?

I doubt you have all of these. Why do you expect that private companies such as eircom, British Telecom etc should automatically subsidise the cost of connecting you up in a remote location? This kind of infrastructure costs an order of magnitude more in rural areas than in cities.

Why should those of us who live in cities and towns who have to pay a small fortune for small pieces of property be forced to cross-subsidise those of you who "live in the countryside"?

I don't have a problem with you living there, but please don't expect to get the same level of services you would get in a city or town or at the same price.

I really blame the Govt. who tolerate endless ribbon development between our towns, without asking the question who is going to provide all the infrastructure needed to service these homes. In any other civilised country, the planners have teeth and prevent this kind of ribbon development.

Sorry if this seems a bit tough - but this planning issue really bugs me.

People like you, that think BB should only be available to an elite group of people living in our cities really bugs me. It's like me saying, why should those of us living in rural areas have to pay for infrastructure costs in Dublin and Cork. We need each other to make Ireland grow and rural Ireland won't grow with out a proper infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 murrayj

People like you, that think BB should only be available to an elite group of people living in our cities really bugs me. It's like me saying, why should those of us living in rural areas have to pay for infrastructure costs in Dublin and Cork. We need each other to make Ireland grow and rural Ireland won't grow with out a proper infrastructure.

I never said just "cities". I have no problem with sustained development in rural towns. Towns with >1,000 households are perfectly viable from the point-of-view of infrastructure such as Broadband, and by and large all these towns already have Broadband. My problem is with the endless ribbon development in the countryside between towns. There is a huge difference in the economics of providing infrastructure to small towns vs to rural ribbon development. This is why most countries have planning regulations that outlaw ribbon development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

People like you, that think BB should only be available to an elite group of people living in our cities really bugs me.
    He didn't say that BB should only be available to an elite group of people living in our cities. He said that he shouldn't have to subsidise the significant cost of delivering wireline BB to remote locations. You don't expect him to subsidise cable TV, you don't expect him to subsidise sewer lines, you don't expect him to subsidise natural gas supply, why is Broadband different?

this is all gone off topic btw...
    But just so you know, more tax $ (per person, obviously) gets put into infrastructure and the like in the cities than rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    But just so you know, more tax $ (per person, obviously) gets put into infrastructure and the like in the cities than rural areas.
    And cities generate considerably more tax revenue than rural areas - the net tax flow is from cities to Rural areas, by a significant amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I love it when statistics taken out of context are put back in context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

murrayj wrote:

Yes to all but cable TV [I doubt SKY would fall under that? :p ], and I said I'm not far off from Ashbourne - which is a rapidly growing town that'll eventually be bigger than Swords, if not already is.

My distance from Ashbourn is about 4km. Can't see how hard it is to enable a phone exchange or w/e for someplace so close to a town already BB enabled.

Foxwood wrote:
    why is Broadband different?
    Because you can't grow a business on dial-up and if you can't grow you can't contribute to the Irish economy. Look at the likes of Google, Apple, MS, e-Bay and many other billion dollar tech company's that started with a couple of guy's out of a garage. Who's to say that can't happen in rural Ireland. But, eircom have a monopoly on the infrastructure. They own the lines and their also sitting on valuable wireless spectrum that could easily be used to bring BB to rural Ireland. I don't blame eircom though. Their being let get away with it. It's the lack of government leadership I blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

In India at the top of a very big mountain they had it.

My neighbour has it but I cant get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

IrishTLR wrote:
    I'm sure that would be ~2Mb "Uncontended" which is nice. but 32 ISDN lines, that must cost a fair bit.
    Thats the way ISDN was designed to be used, with 32 or 64 lines running into a router.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I'm just back from Leipzig, Germany where the only internet access was over ISDN!!!!

Fortunately we had 32lines and managed a ~2Mb connection :eek:
    I'd very much doubt that you cannot get BB in Leipzig. Must have been just your building or small area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

FuzzyLogic wrote:

Don't change the subject, admit you were wrong and KaizerSoze was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Saw the title and thought we must be discussing the Government ability to do their job but no just their ineptitude to provide decent leadership to the country... :rolleyes:

Advertisement