Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does SKY Weather get our weather wrong?

Options
  • 02-07-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭

Does SKY weather seem to have lower temperatures and more rain then we actually get or then RTE or BBC predict? It was a couple of months back but I remember for a couple of weeks in a row they predicted rain when BBC and RTE said the weather would be fine and it was. Now I know this isn't scientific and maybe over a year if you kept notes it would balance out however just wondering if anyone else notice this, I tend to avoid sky weather now.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

silverharp wrote:
    Does SKY weather seem to have lower temperatures and more rain then we actually get or then RTE or BBC predict? It was a couple of months back but I remember for a couple of weeks in a row they predicted rain when BBC and RTE said the weather would be fine and it was. Now I know this isn't scientific and maybe over a year if you kept notes it would balance out however just wondering if anyone else notice this, I tend to avoid sky weather now.

Sky weather is the worst of the lot. Useless.....ignore......:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they seem fairly correctly this weekend tho so far, our weather is just so much cooler than the UK and rest of europe at the moment, Dublin only 16C today so far and its damp outside. Some places are getting to 20C tho while most of England is around 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Clones was 24c, Kilkenny 23c, Shannon 23c yesterday...

Sky predicted 18-19c.

So far today, Birr 22c, Kilkenny 21c at 2.00pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is there any chance of us getting the hot weather thats everywhere else? were 10C colder than the rest of the UK, today was cool, damp at times and cloudy, will it warm up during this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Sky News want you oogle the girls not the weather charts ;) they're incidental.

• Advertisement

Lisa Burke - :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All forecasts have an inherant amount of inaccuracy, pointless thread imho, Sky interpret the same charts the other forecasters use and glam it up with pretty presenters, but essentially the same material.

The Brown Britan that the BBC currently uses means that I don't watch the BBC weather forecasts anymore, the flyovers of brown countryside are all style over substance.

Sky weather is far far better than the BBC motion sickness inducing forecast currently.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Gonzo wrote:
    were 10C colder than the rest of the UK,

Has something happened lately? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RTE can't get it right ether they only seem to do the Dublin weather. The last few weeks they've predicted rain on the hottest days we've had. It's all a big friggen con theres no super computers or satemagigs, they have some old weatherman witch type person that uses bird dropings to predict whats coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Any Weather forecast from 24hrs out is only 73% accurate and so there is a lot of speculating and guestimates to what weather will do after 3 days out.
    Percentage lowers dramatically after 2 days and so speculating takes over.If under the influence of a High Pressure system well then could be settled and dry but you can get anticyclonic gloom both winter and summer where the HP positions itself.In summary,when they tell you that in 3 days time low pressure is approaching from the Atlantic,its going to be wet and windy but they wont know how wet and windy it will be in any one place till about 1 day away, when it will be 73% more accurate.
    Be warned that 5 day forecasts can be a little inaccurate come the 4th and 5th day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

We're located to the equivalent of the Pacific Northwest in the US, exactly the same weather type with a westerly windflow/north ocean effect ie cool wet summers, mild wet winters ie no extremes, and thats what we can expect being on the Atlantic Northwest frontier also.

Has something happened lately? :)

When I said that it was 4 days before your post and at that time England was in a strong heatwave with a level 3 warning issued by the met office and Ireland was mild and cloudy.. much cooler than england and the rest of europe at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

I notice that Sky forecasts, in comparsion to other channels, spend a huge percentage of the broadcast time describing the current weather as oppossed to the forecast weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They've done it again, Sky weather (Euopean) last night had a big 19C over Ireland for today. RTE weather had a range of 22-23 for today.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Hmmm, 26c was got here today... 19c, 23c forecasted - all wrong. If this was a mid-winter forecast where 7c was forcast and 0c hit killing crops then there would be heads rolling at these departments...

Sky news used to be good for Ireland but now they predict 10C all winter and 18C all summer for us and 14C in between... BBC have stoped forecasting for Ireland altogether since they broght into their new system with brown maps and limited symbols... they only forcast for Belfast now thats about it... to see the bbc forcast for Ireland you have to go to the bbc website now....at this stage its either ITV or RTE left to do forcasts for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Pointless for this thread to continue as we all know by now that sky is this and that and that beeb have shunned the Irish Republic on the TV.Its just us on this forum and MET Eireann to keep us up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I don't see any reason for people not to continue to discuss this if they so wish. Open.

Advertisement