Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Semi Final predictions!

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ponster wrote:
    Have you been watching the same World Cup as me?

Portugal, against the same France that beat Brazil, will be lucky to get a goal on target.
    What's a goal off target, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Italy shall beat Germany as they are a better all round team. Not quite sure how Ze Germans have got this far but they shall be found out tonight I reckon. Italys defence shall stand tall against the two Poles and Toni shall fire the Italians to glory. 2-0 Italy

France V Portugal: This shall be a close game I reckon. A titanic struggle shall ensue and France shall prevail in Extra time with a Louis Saha goal. Ronaldo shall weep like a little boy. 2-1 France AET.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ponster wrote:
    Have you been watching the same World Cup as me?

Portugal, against the same France that beat Brazil, will be lucky to get a goal on target.

:confused:

Why is that now? And yes France were brilliant in their opening three games werent they? This match has nothing got to do with what came before it. Its a one off game and both sides are very strong. If you think France will win it easy then you dont have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Kingp35 wrote:
    :confused:

Why is that now? And yes France were brilliant in their opening three games werent they? This match has nothing got to do with what came before it. Its a one off game and both sides are very strong. If you think France will win it easy then you dont have a clue.
    yes games before it do count. Portugal struggle to get goals and this game will be no different. If they can't score against a 10-men England they'll find it extremely hard to break down the French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Portugals main attacking threat comes from three people,

Ronaldo, Figo, and Deco.

Ronaldo will be against Abedial, who he is faster than and can certainly cause problems for.
    Figo will be against Thuram which should be an even match
    Deco will be against Makelele, somebody who he has beaten before, and can create chances.

Portugal are weakish up front, but still have the firepower to create problems.
    Against England they were playing a destructive side, that won't happen against France who are an attacking enough side.

I expect it to be an open game, and I think Zidane can only do so much, and I think Portugal can win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

How will Figo be against Thuram? Surely he'd be against Sagnol, or the Vieira/Makelele double-team even? When both Deco and Pauleta are on the pitch, Figo plays quite deep and wide.

Anyway, I honestly can't see the French defence being broken down by the Portuguese. I would have seen the Thuram/Gallas partnership as a possible weakness, but I haven't been overly impressed by Pauleta to the extent that he would be the one to break it. Between the pair of them, Makelele and Vieira should be able to deal comfortably with the playmaking of Deco and Figo. Ronaldo will cause some problems but I don't know if he can deliver the final ball. If Zidane plays as well as he is clearly trying to, then Costinha and the Portuguese midfield won't contain him, and with the pace of Ribery, Malouda (or whoever) and Henry, I can't see them being contained for 90 minutes, let alone 120.

2-0 France is my prediction, with Zidane playing another blinder.

Advertisement