Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mia84

Hi all. I am organising my wedding at the moment and someone has recommended a band called Lightning Strikes (from Cavan I think!) for the reception. Has anyone ever seen this band before and are they any good??

The band is a really big part of the day so I want to get it right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ManicAC

Hi FlyingDutchman,

I think I am probably getting married in the same place as you as I have also been recommended Soul Driven. We are not getting married until 2010. Did you find out any more information on them? I saw some threads on wedding forum pages - maybe they were yours. I also went to see them last weekend in Kinsale and they did a good pub gig. Hard to know how they would translate to a wedding though. Have you made your final decision yet? Also would you mind letting me know how you get on at the venue.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Betty Boo

I got married in May this year can I reccomend Prickly Pears there a 7 man band from Kilmeague Naas Kildare area they are just fab and a good price there Peter Cashel is the guy over them :087 2249190 Have a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

andrew11 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I play in a wedding band and keep an eye on this thread to see what people think about various bands ( including my own, no one's said anything horrible yet! ) We play 140 gigs and weddings a year and for us it's a full time job. The most interesting posts on this thread are the ones discussing prices.
    My first point is that you very much get what you pay for. If a band charges €2800 for a wedding it's because they can. If they weren't getting the work then they'd reduce the price.
    Secondly, I'd ask people what they get paid for a days work. The wedding set may only last 2 hours but the travelling and set up time and also the inevitable waiting around for the speeches to finish all add up to a full days work. You would think nothing of paying a plumber €50 an hour and this is the same as paying 7 musicians for an 8 hour day €2800.
    Thirdly, a full time band can still only play about 3 weddings a week on average as nearly all weddings are on Thurs-Sat. This limits the amount of work they can do. I think how much you are willing to pay depends on how much you value the band as a part of your wedding day. If it's no big deal for you hire 4 lads for €1000 to bash out rough approximations of 'Brown eyed/Galway girl' and 'That's amore' to an empty dance floor. If it's more important that your family and friends have a great time and dance all night then hire a band that can fill a dance floor regardless of whether they cost a bit more. Also if you're worried about pleasing everyone don't be. Your parents and aunts all had their weddings so this time it's all about you. At our weddings the most important thing is that the bride and her friends are up dancing for the whole night. Old people will get up and dance if they like dancing regardless of the type of music. We play a specific type of music from a certain era and we always get everyone up on the floor. Finally, make sure you go to see the band you're hoping to book. Most bands will arrange for you to drop in to one of the weddings they're playing at for 20 mins or so and usually the couples don't mind.

Hope this helps

Andrew
    Hey Andrew
    Just a couple of things.
    I'm in a band that isn't much above the 1000 you were talking about.
    We are four fellas who play galway girl and brown eyed girl.
    Yet the floor is always full for about 90% of the night? How is that?
    I've heard wedding bands who are on €2800 and the rest and think
    God how are they getting that
    You dont always get what you pay for
    Most people don't know exactly what to look for when searching for a band.
    I've seen very expensive wedding bands backfire on couples
    They were taking the "throw money at it to solve it" option

If a band does 7 piece does 3 weddings a week at 2800,
    €1200 a man ain't bad even after tax........ and there's still another 4 nights left.
    I think a lot of musicians think, because they can play, they have a right to charge what is often ridiculous money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

bbability wrote: »
    My advise to people once again booking bands including a DJ is to insure that the DJ not a member of the band. The price might be attractable but the outcome may not on the night. One 70's cover band in particular have a tendency to sell packages like this and just play a couple of long play CD's after their set.

Just a warning to those watching the pennies this year not to be sold a dud.
    Obviously that particular setup is a farce. However in the group i'm with i do the discos when the group is finished.
    I set up the decks when all the rest of the gear is going up and always have the first two songs ready to go (before the first dance of the night) and when the band is finished, the other guys will bang on the last note of the last song just to give me 10 seconds to get the bass off and get over to the decks so the change over is immediate and there's no cd's playing while the band takes down gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DELIE23

I am getting married in August (in two months) and I have been trying to get in touch with Ollie from Raindance for the last week... has anyone heard anything about the band.

I keep getting his voicemail when I ring and I have sent text messages as well as sending a contact request throught their website www.raindance.com

To say the least I'm getting worried. I know I might be daft but I'm a worrier at the best of times.

If anyone can help I would be grateful!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shaunamona

I'm trying to book Hot fuzz for my wedding in Westmeath, they are priced very well but as I am in Dublin, and work in the restaurant business, I never have a night off to travel to see them. Has anyone ever heard them?

Any info on them would be great.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gome

These guys are excellent. They do loads of contemporary stuff and a whole load of the typical wedding stuff. Really it's whatever you are looking for. They great for talking through what you are looking for and working out a song list that ticks whatever boxes you may have. And to top it all, they are really nice lads. You can check them out on www.lateniteradioband.com.

Best of luck with your hunt and I'm sure all will be perfect on the big night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Smurfit

Hi,
    Has anyone any recommendations for either of these bands?? Have only heard the Zodiaks - thought they were fairly good, but haven't heard the Vendetta's.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Anyone got a more up to date list for a Galway Band?

From looking at previous posts here I've gotten the following
    Name|Contact Number|My Rating
    Raindance| |Great
    Freebird| |
    Weightless Astronauts| |Great
    Pyrmiad| |Great
    More cowbell| |
    Alchemy| |
    The Elastic band| |
    Fraggle Rock| |
    Jive Buddies| |
    The discovery| |
    Tightrope| |Great
    Deja Vu| |
    Honeymoon top ten| |
    Flamingo| |

Personally, I'm based in the city and looking for a FANTASTIC band for June 2010 on a Saturday... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Has anyone heard of the above band and if so what is your experience of them?
    They have been recommended to me by a friend who seen them live and i cannot find any info on them on the internet?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Smurfit

ClaireP wrote: »
    Hi Smurfit,

I saw the Vendettas last weekend at a friends wedding. They were fantastic!!! The dance floor was packed all night. I got their contact details to book them for my wedding in february next year. pm me if you want any info.

Claire:)

Thanks Claire, have them provisional booked for the wedding, going to see them on friday night in Clancys but was just wondering if anyone had seen them at a wedding and what were they like. Will have a fair mix of generations so looking for a band to cover all types of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dano

I have The Vendettas booked as well! They played my sisters wedding last year and they were great! They have a set list that caters for all types and & have good lights, smoke machine etc.

The best thing about them is you know that they actually enjoyed playing and filling the dance floor, I've been to some weddings and the bands have just played & left without even getting the crowd going.

Their site is www.the-vendettas.com, check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ClaireP

No problem Smurfit.

In reply to tictactoe the lads have a website on the net. Eddie gave me a business card with the address on it - www.the-vendettas.com there is some info up there about the band (setlist etc). I really can't say enough how good they were (they even had the brides dad playing air guitar to Sex on Fire - hilarious:D)

Hope this helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 el.bell

Hi guys,

The Vendettas played at my wedding last May, they were fab (even better than ALL the comments above make them out!!) Hehe

They asked us what we wanted to hear and played exactly that. A lot of people at our reception didn't hear of them cause they're only around a year or two but they were congratulating us on finding them...........We did all the hard work finding the right band and our mates are just copying us!!

Nice guys aswell i give them 2 thumbs up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Thanks Claire. It was actually Lightening Strikes, not the Vendettas.
    I had their card but I lost it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 werty

Listened to the vendettas on their webiste. I suggest others do likewise before considering booking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul.walsh.44

I just listened to the vendettas on their website and thought they were great actually! I've seen them before and they're very good live. I like their song choice too.

If i choose to go for a big band instead im thinking the showstoppers, they might be very pricey though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ClaireP

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend some church performers please. i wasn't planning on booking one but i'd like to keep my options open and maybe hear one or two before i decide. I would have thought that the church music wasn't that important on the day?!

I've booked my band and DJ for the afters and i'm really happy with these (the Vendettas and Kevin Foley).:D

Any suggestions about the church singer????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 werty

I just listened to the vendettas on their website and thought they were great actually! I've seen them before and they're very good live. I like their song choice too.

If i choose to go for a big band instead im thinking the showstoppers, they might be very pricey though!!

I wouldnt bother with a big band. There are other options, and some great value bands out there. I've booked a band for my wedding next April, went to hear them live and they are fantastic. They are a four piece and do dj as well.

I would be very reluctant to book a 3 piece for a day as important as a wedding, unless there is a very small number of guests at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CrazyDaisy

Hay everyone, theres a band called Shuffle, 4 piece from dublin, i would recommend them for a wedding or any event, their fantastic, they did my friends wedding and the dance floor was full for the whole night! check out their website www.myspace.com/shufflelive

Daisy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CrazyDaisy

ClaireP wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend some church performers please. i wasn't planning on booking one but i'd like to keep my options open and maybe hear one or two before i decide. I would have thought that the church music wasn't that important on the day?!

I've booked my band and DJ for the afters and i'm really happy with these (the Vendettas and Kevin Foley).:D

Any suggestions about the church singer????:confused:
    hi claire, are you looking for just one singer in the church? i know of a few! the day wouldnt be the same without a church singer !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul.walsh.44

I went to see The Vendettas Saturday night and they were fantastic. There might be only 3 of them but they have a really big sound and they are well able to get the crowd going. I've booked them!

We have 150 guests and we know they'll be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I see you can book a hollogram band now and have them projected onto the stage...cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aismull

Anyone ever heard a wedding band called A Few Good Men? I went to see them playing a pub gig in the Porter house last week, and they were brilliant. But I can't make up my mind. Anyone ever seen them at a wedding and what were they like?

Galway/West band Name|Contact Number|My Rating
    Raindance| |Great
    Freebird| |
    Weightless Astronauts| John@0872266237 |Great
    Pyrmiad| Turlough@0863425831 www.p-mid.com |Great
    More cowbell| |
    Alchemy| |
    The Elastic band| Glen@0863068871 |
    Fraggle Rock| |
    Jive Buddy| Paul@0872394846 091592660 |
    The discovery| Eugene@0872765009 |
    Tightrope| Jimmy@0872222890 |Great
    Deja Vu| Jarlach Reidy@0872593822 |
    Honeymoon top ten| Marlow@0872778663 |
    Flamingo| |
    Kif| James@0861061387 | Great
    Silkwood | Kevin@0879000607 | Great, are they still around?
    Face Value| John@091529950 |
    Horizon| Jimmy@091757772 |
    The New Avengers| Sean@090292868 0862547765 |
    Carmel Dempsey| Carmel@0868137104 |
    The Buzz| Jimmy@091751402 |

I can remove the telephone numbers if necessary. If so people can PM me and I'll give them all the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Yoda08

Excellent post Sniipe, thanks for that.. they're the bands we're currently viewing in Mayo.. date availability for the best is the problem! Cheers!

Yoda08 wrote: »
    Excellent post Sniipe, thanks for that.. they're the bands we're currently viewing in Mayo.. date availability for the best is the problem! Cheers!
    No problem, if you ring one and find out that perhaps they are gone/changed or if I have an old number let us know; try keep the info up to date for others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 freespirit96

Hi guys,

Just wanted to add a Galway band to the table. We had provisionally booked Milhouse as they had received good reviews. We went to see them last night in the Spanish Arch Hotel. My fiance used to play in a band so its fair to say he can be on the critical side. We thought they were excellent. We have heard a number of the other bands on the list and to be honest for some of them it seemed to be a laptop with backing tracks that seemed to be doing a lot of the work but with Milhouse there wasn't a laptop in sight. They were all brilliant musicians and singers and read the crowd really well with a really good mix of music genres. Murt has been really good to communicate with and has always got back to me within the day. I am confirming them today for my wedding in October of this year so if anyone wants to pm me to see how they go please do. I will also post here to let you know. checkout --
    www.milhouseformusic.com

Advertisement