Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Oceans are a fab band! Our drummer used to play with them and they're very professional and very accommodating-Ultimate wedding band really!

Oceans 8 are even better, bigger brass section, but are more expensive, obviously. You won't be disappointed!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Has anyone seen oceans 6 in cork live or at a wedding??

Yeah they are really good. Really got the crowd going and had the floor packed for the night. In my opinion, theres no need to upgrade to including the brass section- they are great as a 6 piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Thank you both so much! We are actually getting the 5 piece as its a small wedding so think the 6 might be a bit over powering. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

not sure of they have been mentioned yet 52+ pages is too much reading!! but my top 4 are in order

1. The marvels

2. Oceans 6/7/8 (they come in 3 different variations depending on price)

3. Canambert Quartet (from late late show)

4. Shes Electric (young cork band really really good)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

not sure of they have been mentioned yet 52+ pages is too much reading!! but my top 4 are in order

1. The marvels

2. Oceans 6/7/8 (they come in 3 different variations depending on price)

3. Canambert Quartet (from late late show)

4. Shes Electric (young cork band really really good) EDIT : should have said electric blue however shes electric are good also

Just an imput from a sober barmans point of view!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Hey guys, new to all this wedding planning stuff and thought I'd loads of time but it seems not!

Need a band for a 2/2.5 hour set for Wedding Reception in Cavan/Longford area on Saturday October 27th this year - ideally something in or around €1500, give or take a few hundred either side. I'm just looking for a good live band that can cater for a crowd of all ages - the usual Mundy/Journey/ACDC AKA standard wedding fayre would be grand.

HELP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Hi, quick question, have a friend getting married in Nice in August who is looking for an English speaking wedding band from the area. If anyone knows of anywhere to look or anyone who may have been in the same situation could you please reply or pm me the details, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TotalBetty

Church singer available for weddings in the Galway area!

I am a professional level pianist and provide my own accompaniment and have had extensive vocal coaching. Very reasonable rates :)

Please PM me for details!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 boshea19

Hi...getting married on 4th Aug this year wedding band that we had booked fell through...ideally looking for an 80's themed band if there are any good ones out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

boshea19 wrote: »
    Hi...getting married on 4th Aug this year wedding band that we had booked fell through...ideally looking for an 80's themed band if there are any good ones out there!

Springbreak, if you have €2900 to spare!! http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=springbreak%20band&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fspringbreak80s.com%2F&ei=bsAlT-yyD4K3hQfUwpmBBQ&usg=AFQjCNE485oWGde-O9a60dgPXq5cf1Nqrg&sig2=-hmr_aNyPcG8MbVzbsXoPA

Otherwise PM me, I've about 3 lists of bands x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ozonorock

Hiya!

I am getting married this year (Thursday, 23rd of August) in the Clonakilty area. I am looking for a traditional band for about 1h-2h for a Céilidh, with a good enough entertainer to be able to let the people know the basic moves. If they could provide a DJ for afterwards that would be great. Anyone knows of any band that could do this?

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

daraoh wrote: »
    Hi,

has anyone seen the band from Dublin called Beatclub playing at a wedding? I know they do good pub gigs, but have never heard of how they play at a wedding and how they go down at a wedding.

Thanks

The Beatclub played our wedding last year in Loughrynn castle - they are at the higher end of the scale price wise but worth it. I doubt there is a better band in Ireland doing weddings - their musicianship and the range of songs they know is second to none. Great versions of The Cure, The Pixes, Madness, The Specials, The Beatles, Ian Dury ...... etc ...... had the crowd dancing all night!!

only minor quibble the lead singer & go-to man for the band was a bit too business minded too deal with for our liking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

The Beatclub played our wedding last year in Loughrynn castle - they are at the higher end of the scale price wise but worth it. I doubt there is a better band in Ireland doing weddings - their musicianship and the range of songs they know is second to none. Great versions of The Cure, The Pixes, Madness, The Specials, The Beatles, Ian Dury ...... etc ...... had the crowd dancing all night!!

only minor quibble the lead singer & go-to man for the band was a bit too business minded too deal with for our liking

There comes a level where you might not get better, ie, you walk away from a night thinking "band were brilliant, how could you get better" but there are several as good.

I could list you 90 bands with websites in ireland, 7-8 who would be in "best wedding band youve ever seen" calibre,
    most advertise with WOL but some dont which means they dont get access to wider public.

edit: I made a comment stating you had to advertise with WOL to get into their awards, Ive deleted some comments above, according to this from their website: anyone can enter awards
    Entries to the 2012 Awards are open to all suppliers, whether registered with WeddingsOnline.ie or not, in the 32 counties. Suppliers enter themselves directly and are then voted on by the brides of WeddingsOnline.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Anyone know of a decent band in limerick that won't cost the earth? Ideally it would be a one man band or two tops seeing as this is a small wedding. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CHRISTINACO

Anyone know of a decent band in limerick that won't cost the earth? Ideally it would be a one man band or two tops seeing as this is a small wedding. Thanks
    Hi mikandsugar
    I had Vegas nights for my wedding and they were fantastic. They have a dj included in their price who was also brilliant. They are from Tipperary but travelled to adare where we had our wedding. They made sure our day was made even more special by singing our first dance song live,as a surprise.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck and have a beautiful day 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fea

Hi
    Looking for a good DJ for my civil partnership in Cork city-can anyone recommend someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 curlygal

gar wrote: »
    We got married last month and we had the Bentley Boys play at our wedding.
    They did reception, Band and DJ. (We we looking for a one stop shop).
    I have to say they were absolutely brilliant and very professional.
    They had the dance floor heaving all night. There was no gap between the band finishing and the DJ starting which was great. Cormac was the lead singer and he was great craic and an amazing voice.
    All our guests loved them (young and old), they were still being talked about the next day.
    We sent them a short list of yes and no songs to play just to give them an idea of what we like. They were brilliant and would play what ever you wanted.
    Oh and we had a 4 piece band (keys, drums, bass & guitar) & a guitarist for the reception.

Highly recommend

Gar
    Hi,

I'm also looking into the Bentley Boys as one stop shop also. How expensive are they? Would also be interested in 4 piece (or 5 piece), pre reception music and DJ.

Thanks

TheChevron wrote: »
    http://www.somethingblueweb.com/

Herd these recently in Wexford and I must say the were sh1t hot. (I'm not in the band byt the way, just thought I'd share)
    Hi, Iam looking into this band for a Wexford wedding as they have come highly recommended by our hotel.

Were they entertaining, dance floor filling, with good choice and variation in music? Did any other people compliment them also?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Really hoping not to pay 1600 to 2000 for our wedding band / dj...especially as it is on a thurs in september. Most bands have availability, but most provide te same price as they would for a Saturday in July. Any suggestions for a package in kildare which would be around the 1 grand mark?

Thanks

Hi there,

Has anyone had or seen Radioshack at a wedding? What did you think? Need to decide soon if I'm going to book them.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Niall1983 wrote: »
    Hello,

We are getting married in September 2012. We think traditional music for the entire evening would be a bit repetitive and not the best to get everyone dancing if you don't have a lot of Irish dancers in the crowd. So we are looking for a trad band that can play modern music in traditional style???

The idea would be maybe to have a half an hour dedicated to part of a polka set, a few Irish songs and the rest would be modern songs played in traditional style with traditional instruments, button accordian, fiddle etc.

Does anyone know of a band that does this type of thing??????

Thanks for any info

Niall

Hi Niall,
    I've been looking into this as well and the closest I've found is "Dublin City Folk" or at least I think thats what they're called. But our wedding venue is too small for this kind of thing. They do Ceilí's etc
    Did you have any luck with your search, I am very interested in this also.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I am pie wrote: »
    Really hoping not to pay 1600 to 2000 for our wedding band / dj...especially as it is on a thurs in september. Most bands have availability, but most provide te same price as they would for a Saturday in July. Any suggestions for a package in kildare which would be around the 1 grand mark?

Thanks
    Find a local pub band you like and talk to them?

For a deal mid-week you need to find someone local: anyone who'll travel mid-week is going to be playing weddings as their full-time job. You need a band that do weddings as a side-line that can be tempted to deal with a tired friday in work for the night's work on a thursday.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Find a local pub band you like and talk to them?

For a deal mid-week you need to find someone local: anyone who'll travel mid-week is going to be playing weddings as their full-time job. You need a band that do weddings as a side-line that can be tempted to deal with a tired friday in work for the night's work on a thursday.

this is very true.

While September is still a very popular month for weddings you are correct, thursdays in september should see a hefty discount from a saturday in july/august, (expect 20-25% reduction I would have thought) while I cant see you getting someone down to the money youd like keep ringing around and you may get someone. Closer to 1400 might see you get someone but I wouldnt say 1000.

Try and ring some of the agents, tell them your budget and what you want and ask them have they anyone, anyone dublin based will go to kildare. Id say youre looking at 3 piece act unless as sleepy says you get lucky and find a band who'll do it as a sideline. but you got your work cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

Hi guys
    I'm looking for a band for our wedding in Dunboyne August 10th 2012.
    Can any one free or looking for the gig please PM me your details and rates??

Thanks
    Orlaith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

this is very true.

While September is still a very popular month for weddings you are correct, thursdays in september should see a hefty discount from a saturday in july/august, (expect 20-25% reduction I would have thought) while I cant see you getting someone down to the money youd like keep ringing around and you may get someone. Closer to 1400 might see you get someone but I wouldnt say 1000.

Try and ring some of the agents, tell them your budget and what you want and ask them have they anyone, anyone dublin based will go to kildare. Id say youre looking at 3 piece act unless as sleepy says you get lucky and find a band who'll do it as a sideline. but you got your work cut out.

Yeah, am starting to reluctantly agree. It's not often we'd be in a pub in the area watching bands. More likely to see bands in Dublin and not sure that will help. Have a few ideas as i also think sometimes wedding bands play a little too long.

Sorry, no offence to any lads in bands here, personal taste only..I've a short attention span !

I am pie wrote: »
    Yeah, am starting to reluctantly agree. It's not often we'd be in a pub in the area watching bands. More likely to see bands in Dublin and not sure that will help. Have a few ideas as i also think sometimes wedding bands play a little too long.

Sorry, no offence to any lads in bands here, personal taste only..I've a short attention span !

:) its perfectly normal. bands are happy to play as short as you like although if you get a good band you might want to play longer.

lot of bars around that do regular bands and have facebook updates. Get the list of bands from the FB pages, contact them all to see do they have the date free and budget to save you a trip out to see them.

Off the top of my head, heres a shortlist of bars that have music 3-4 nights a week with cover bands

old mill in tallaght,
    penny hill in lucan,
    the greyhound in blanch
    laurels in clondalkin
    palmerstown house,
    silver granite
    stillorgan orchard
    the clock on thomas st
    abberley hotel in tallaght
    40ft in dun laoire
    mercantile in dame st
    red cow
    submarine bar - crumlin
    tim younges -ballyfermot
    and many many more. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ie4music

Checkout the Retro Knights for great offers in 2012 and beyond.
    http://www.RetroKnights.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JumboGenie

Hello. My friend recently had Peter Byrne and his band play at their wedding. I was really shocked how unprofessional they were. They turned up late to the venue. They were rude to deal with on the phone when they were contacted to see where they were. They played the wedding as if it was a gig. They did not interact with the crowd. Play to the crowd attending the wedding. Took long breaks between songs-losing the crowd from the floor. Started late and very soon after took off for tea and coffee. Their dj played more than the band. Really thought the we're terrible and would definitely not recommend them. And they are not a cheap band!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 justmusic

Check out www.thejoadz.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bride79

Hey I just come on to post a bit of a buyer beware story. I have just recently started searching for a wedding band and very quickly found how dodgy some are. (Mind you, be clear Im not painting them all with the same brush I know there is some great pro outfits out there.)

So I was at a Christmas party during Christmas just passed, and there happened to be a band playing that advertised themselves as a wedding band called electric blue. They looked very young and appeared to be quite professional. However when the started playing this just wasnt the case. The party was in the Carlton hotel in Kinsale. The crowd were older than average. The band were totally unable to cater for this type of crowd. (ie. no oldies no waltzes)

There was tumble weeds on the dances floor, a total flop of a night. But I would not bother say anything if it was just a bad night. Its how the band (and the management company) behaved, that prompts me to write this warning.

After a considerable lenght of time with nobody on the dance floor a guest approached the band, presumably to request a more appropriate song. After multiple times approaching the band, the guest was strongly verbally abused over the microphone. Myself and my husband couldnt believe it. Totally shocking. I wont get into too much of it but she was called a b***h :eek: Not to mention that their general behavior was childish and down right rude. Many people complained to the hotel management, not to my surprise and I believe some demanded money back.

I since have been looking for a wedding band and my search took me to a very popular site, weddings online; www.weddingsonline.ie. I noticed that there was a short thread about the band. So I though would share my experience with the community as I would hate for something like this to happen on someones wedding day.

I left a comment similar to what I said here, I Promptly got a message back from showcasecork (the band management) denying that the band even played there.

To which I replied I was certain this was the band. I recognized them from their photos on his site.

Showcasecork continued to deny this band played there, then blaming the band Electric lemon. Even though Electric Blue was listed in the Carlton Christmas brochure

www.carlton.ie/files/pdf/kinsale_xmas_brochure_new.pdf

After I posted this the whole thread was deleted and my account was banned from weddingsonline. I suspect the site did this as showcase cork buys advertising from the site, (but this is only suspicion) Anyway needless to say I will not be booking electric blue or any other bands in showcase cork. But I am also very wary of who I will book.

Good Luck to anyone Looking at the moment and I hope you don't have an experience like this.

Advertisement