Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Streetwars on Sky One

Options
  • 02-07-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

L/Derry seems to feature regularly on this show. Last night they showed a random PSNI stop of an oldish diesel cavalier based on the 'whitish smoke frm the exhaust'. They took a sample of fuel from near the fuel filter and it was as green as a shamrock. Then another sh!tty diesel cavalier sped past (this was on the Buncrana Road) and they flagged him down. Driver was nervous and so they decided to 'dip' him as well-same result, excise free diesel from the south!!

I thought to myself-how miserable do you have to be. They already have cheap car insurance as it is and as they live right beside the border they could avail of RoI prices on regular diesel, but the cheaper excise paid diesel in Donegal wasn't cheap enough for these chancers and they went and filled up with tractor fuel.

I was very pleased these tax dodgers got caught (not because I'm a killjoy but because everyone else pays their fair share!). My only wonder is, how often to our own cops do such random stops or do they always have to be accompanied by customs & excise down here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Only ever seen customs stopping once on the old n4 between kinnegad and enfield. That was 3 years ago, they were only stopping commercial vans etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is nothing the PSNI can do about a chancer using green ROI diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bond-007 wrote:
    Yes there is. They were both NI registered vehicles and both were seized on the spot and their occupants walked home! Maybe you meant an RoI registered car using green diesel, in which case you might be right-I don't know the legal implications of it but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they could seize any car running on fuel which has not had it's excise duty paid in som EU state (there may even be a bi-lateral agreement just between the UK and Ireland for this issue). I would have thought that the Guards & customs down here could seize a french car running on red diesel from the north, but maybe I'm wrong, anybody know for certain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Bond-007 wrote:

Why were they dipping in the first place so?:confused:

Trying to detect NI red diesel?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    Yes there is. They were both NI registered vehicles and both were seized on the spot and their occupants walked home! Maybe you meant an RoI registered car using green diesel, in which case you might be right-I don't know the legal implications of it but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they could seize any car running on fuel which has not had it's excise duty paid in som EU state (there may even be a bi-lateral agreement just between the UK and Ireland for this issue). I would have thought that the Guards & customs down here could seize a french car running on red diesel from the north, but maybe I'm wrong, anybody know for certain?
    I remember it was on the news than NI motorists using ROI green up north could drive with impunity as the law in NI only refers to the NI markers which are Red. The same news story warned NI green users that they would get into trouble if they came south on green diesel.

Bond-007 wrote:
    I remember it was on the news than NI motorists using ROI green up north could drive it impunity as the law in NI only refers to the NI markers which are Red. The same news story warned NI green users that they would get into trouble if they came south on green diesel.
    This loophole must have been plugged. The boyos moaned and groaned at the fuzz but the cars were seized and the lads walked. The cops told them that customs would take it from there and would be in touch. It was deffo green diesel in both-they showed it to the camera and it's unmistakeably green sickly looking stuff!

What tools do the PSNI boys have for this sort of thing?

BTW is this show repeated so I can have a gander?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Bond-007 wrote:

BTW is this show repeated so I can have a gander?

Everything on Sky One is repeated. Over and over and over again.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Screwdriver and a disposable plastic cup!

• Advertisement

I see it is on again now.

Advertisement