Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donaghmede

Options
  • 02-07-2006 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

what is the problem with donaghmede now, i know it had many mentions in the ''Worst place in Dublin'' thread but sadly i have to believe all the mentions now another shooting has taken place in Millbrook overnight opposte my old school and around the corner where i grew up, sad times for Donaghmede:( i'd still feel safe walking around at night tho, most/all killings are to do with drugs but still. :(

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Volvoboy wrote:
    what is the problem with donaghmede now, i know it had many mentions in the ''Worst place in Dublin'' thread but sadly i have to believe all the mentions now another shooting has taken place in Millbrook overnight opposte my old school and around the corner where i grew up, sad times for Donaghmede:( i'd still feel safe walking around at night tho, most/all killings are to do with drugs but still. :(

-VB-

I used to live about 400metres from millbrook, it was getting worse and worse, and we moved about 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

just realised it happened last month, still over 30 shootings for the coolock police station this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In fairness, these killings aren't random occurences, they happen for a reason, and so long as you have nothing to do with these reasons, you would be safe waking through these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

In fairness, these killings aren't random occurences, they happen for a reason, and so long as you have nothing to do with these reasons, you would be safe waking through these areas.

Not actually true.

Some of those shot were just unfortunate eneough to be near an intended victim.

I think you may be thinking of different shootings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Not true. Remember that poor girl who was killed in Coolock this year after someone fired through a window?

Oh....I'm sorry, I thought that we were discussing Donaghmede, in the thread named 'Donaghmede'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh....I'm sorry, I thought that we were discussing Donaghmede, in the thread named 'Donaghmede'.

I was refuting the point made earlier about the DONAGHMEDE shootings were the poster said that you were generally safe if you weren't involved.

VE MUST STAY ON ZE TOPIC AT ALL TIMES!!!

I said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

VE MUST STAY ON ZE TOPIC AT ALL TIMES!!!

what time is DID open till tonight??? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i remember playing trinity gaels(donaghmede) and parnells(coolock) in gaa matches, ****ing scum of the earth, trinity games always had at least 3 brawls(all started from their skanger hard man wanna be approach) and one occasion match abandoned because some fella got stamped on the neck and a ambulance was needed, then on the way home some scum in a van jump out wit bats lookin to beat the bajaysus outa the player that stood on their player
    against parnells one match ended in the gardai being called and 3 of their players being arrested for assault and banned from gaa forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

Ok, and since we're talking about Donehmede. The chap murdered on Millbrook road was an innocent bystander, mistaken for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

As somebody who is not from Donaghmede but have been there regularly as I have had friends there over the years. I don't feel safe there and the same applies to Coolock and Kilmore West.

I am not from a posh area but my first house was in a an old bad area. I felt safe there after a while but it wasn't great. I moved into a nice area still not posh and still close to not so nice areas and the difference in life is amazing.

Without actually say anything bad about the area as such, it has the apprerance of a bad area and matching events. So being as fair as possible, childhood memories and the feeling of home has value but it doesn't mean the area does not deserve a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

kona wrote:
    i remember playing trinity gaels(donaghmede) and parnells(coolock) in gaa matches, ****ing scum of the earth, trinity games always had at least 3 brawls(all started from their skanger hard man wanna be approach) and one occasion match abandoned because some fella got stamped on the neck and a ambulance was needed, then on the way home some scum in a van jump out wit bats lookin to beat the bajaysus outa the player that stood on their player
    against parnells one match ended in the gardai being called and 3 of their players being arrested for assault and banned from gaa forever.

That's gaa for ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

raheny red wrote:
    That's gaa for ya :rolleyes:
    and guess who i play for mr raheny;) true gaa is like boxing somtimes but there is no excuse for the gardai being called

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I feel pretty safe in Donaghmede, i work there and have friends from there.
    I think its safer then coolock where i live, though i can't believe the number of shootings that are taking place in donaghmede lately.

Also about the GAA teams, that also happens alot with coolock soccer teams.

kona wrote:
    and guess who i play for mr raheny;)

And who would that be??..........Raheny GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I always thought Millbrook was in the Donaghies and not actually Donaghemede.

A lot of people (especially the media) aren't really sure what areas these shootings happen in (a lot of people in these areas claim to live in Raheny to push up the price of their gaffs) and sometimes a shooting get linked to Coolock because that's the nearest Garda station even though the shooting could have happened 3 or 4 miles away.

Donaghemede need their own cop shop now ffs :rolleyes: :mad:

Zebra3 wrote:
    I always thought Millbrook was in the Donaghies and not actually Donaghemede.

It isnt actually in donaghmede, I lived just beside Millbrook, but people still called it donaghmede anyway, some people even called it raheny too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

raheny red wrote:
    Donaghemede need their own cop shop now ffs :rolleyes: :mad:

This will not happen,it is current Government policy not to open a new police station within 5 miles of an existing station.

Dub13 wrote:
    This will not happen,it is current Government policy not to open a new police station within 5 miles of an existing station.

That's bollox, theres a station beside bus aras in town, and an even bigger station not far from grafton street, forget the name. Donaghmede WILL get its own station, because that area is growing so much, so many people, and new developments.

Its not bollox.

First off the city center is completely different to the suburbs,you are talking about Pearse Street station and Store street which IIRC are the two busiest stations in the country.And they are not new they are there a long long time,we are talking about a new station being built.

It has been decided at government level that increasing the number of Gardai on patrol in each area is much more important than where they are actually stationed.This is fact I am friends with one of the local councilor's and he told me this himself not long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It isnt actually in donaghmede, I lived just beside Millbrook, but people still called it donaghmede anyway, some people even called it raheny too :rolleyes:

I'd call it Raheny as well if I was selling a gaff there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Millbrook Avenue is part of The Donahies, which IS part of Raheny, like it or not.

I grew up in the Donahies and lived there for over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Now from someone who lives in Donaghmede all my life has grown up with the"need a cop shop in Donaghmede" is still going on to this day.We had two Garda clinic but no cop shop,never will get one either as Coolock and Raheny cover this area so we were told.Is there grounds for one now,yes nowadays i think so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Snowbie wrote:
    We had two Garda clinic but no cop shop
    lol, I remember that one that was in the shopping centre, but rarely had anybody in it. The need for a station in Donaghmede has existed for years and with the development in Clongriffin the need will be even greater.

delly wrote:
    The need for a station in Donaghmede has existed for years and with the development in Clongriffin the need will be even greater

I agree but its not going to happen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dub13 wrote:
    I agree but its not going to happen.
    Yep, and a shame too. But hey, at least there getting a train station ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dub13 wrote:
    Its not bollox.

First off the city center is completely different to the suburbs,you are talking about Pearse Street station and Store street which IIRC are the two busiest stations in the country.And they are not new they are there a long long time,we are talking about a new station being built.

It has been decided at government level that increasing the number of Gardai on patrol in each area is much more important than where they are actually stationed.This is fact I am friends with one of the local councilor's and he told me this himself not long ago.

Clondalkin has 2 garda stations. I'd be willing to bet it's not 5 miles from the tallaght garda station to the one in clondalkin village aswell.

Advertisement