Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who here is a Digital DJ?

• 02-07-2006 3:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I know there have been a few threads on this subjecty before but I'd like to know who on this forum DJ's using computers and mp3's. I'd be interested to hear what setups you have, what you think of it etc. What is good for beginners, intermediate and pro's. Is there any new gear on the market?

I use Virtual DJ along with a Hercules DJ Console External Mixer. You can hear some of the mixes I have done here. I'm certainly no pro, but its a great setup for anyone starting off, having the exteral mixer makes the whole thing way better, I'd highly recommend it for anyone who maybe just plays about with the software... Virtual DJ is my favorite out of all of the ones I've tried as it does the basics very wello and doesn't complicate things. I've used Traktor too, which is great for very technical mixing - loops and effects etc, but overkill for me.

The only thing I have against the Hercules is that it looks a bit "Fisher Price" and I think the sound quality could be a little better, but hey, its not an expensive peice of kit. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? I do plan to buy a Pair of Pioneer CDJ's soon, and learn to mix properly, but I still love the computer aspect. I know the pureists will say its vinyl or nothing, but I cannot justify spending massive money on vinyl, plus there is no way I could get many of the tunes on vinyl that I have on mp3.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm in the process of selling my decks and half of my vinyl, so i'll most likely be moving over to digital soon.
    i'm thinking of going for a laptop with a decent external sound card (gonna have to look into this)
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-166472.html
    and i might go for something like that for a controller... but i haven't really looked into that yet either

i had a quick blast at virtual dj... it seems good, but takes most of the fun out mixing by making it all too easy.
    Traktor is my favourite so far, but i'll prolly slowly move over to Ableton

will be interested to see what everybody else is using:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow that thing looks pretty hardcore. Made for Albleton - I hear its fantastic but I think its pretty difficult to learn to use.... Anyone here use it?

I am looking into getting a Behringer BDC2000 gets some pretty good reviews here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tman, dont bother with that usb mixer

people seem to be under the impression you need one

you DONT

just use a normal dj mixer, problem solved

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Helix I considered that a good while ago, but thought it was too complicated to set up. You need a very good sound card, preferably 2, a huge amounf of wires, and also you still have to use the mouse to hit play on the track. USB mixers have very good soundcards and have a few extra buttons etc

yeah... who would need to assign functions to a rotary knob or fader when you could just spend 30 seconds clicking through menus to find the function you want...

it was just an example, i honestly haven't looked into this at all yet, that one was just something that caught my eye when browsing for something else.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote:
    Helix I considered that a good while ago, but thought it was too complicated to set up. You need a very good sound card, preferably 2, a huge amounf of wires, and also you still have to use the mouse to hit play on the track. USB mixers have very good soundcards and have a few extra buttons etc

its not complicated in the slighted

usb mixers are very very poor

youll cause more problems in the long run with one of them than a normal mixer

all you need is a soundcard with 4 outputs, and there are LOADS of cheap, affordable ones (like the m audio quattro, which i use when im playing ableton sets)

after that you just plug the 2 stereo pairs from the soundcard o/ps into a mixer channel each, and then thats it

you have completely control over eq, effects, faders etc

you say you still have to use the mouse to press play? no you dont

what you do is have EVERYTHING as a keyboard shortcut

so you can return to cue point and play with just pressing 1 key for each, it really couldnt be simpler

tman wrote:
    yeah... who would need to assign functions to a rotary knob or fader when you could just spend 30 seconds clicking through menus to find the function you want...

it was just an example, i honestly haven't looked into this at all yet, that one was just something that caught my eye when browsing for something else.

look, ive been using ableton for 2 years, and i know what im talking about in this respect, for a mixer, you DO NOT want a usb midi controller mixer

theyre ****, bottom line

what you could do is use a hardware mixer, and then if you really wanted, get a small controller bank, for next to nothing

BUT you dont really realise until you use this stuff, that you can do pretty much everything you need with just the keys, and never need the mouse, or rotarys

sure you have your pots on the mixer, and if youve a decent mixer you have effects there too, pretty much negating any requirement for you to be fiddling with the mouse anyway

cheers man, like i said i'm only just starting to look into this. you're probably right there.
    I guess i was thinking more of my experience with software other than ableton, which is usually fairly frustrating to use without some kind of controller...

reckon i'll definitely do as you said. i'm selling my decks but was thinking of keeping the mixer anyway, so at least that way i'll have more cash for a swish sound card...
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html
    been thinking of going for that one... seems to do more than i could possibly want:)

wouldnt go for that one man, only 2 analog outputs

meaning you can only use one channel of stereo audio out from your computer into the mixer

granted tho, you could use 2 channels of mono signal, but that wouldnt really be desirable

nice card apart from that tho

where would i be without you man :D
    i should really start looking at specs instead of the pretty pictures

• Advertisement

ahahah yeh its always an idea alrite

So do you think all usb mizers are crap? Its going to be a fair bit more expensive getting a sound card and a mixer than going the usb route.

Anyone seen this?

Zascar wrote:
    So do you think all usb mizers are crap? Its going to be a fair bit more expensive getting a sound card and a mixer than going the usb route.

Anyone seen this?

you pay for exactly what you get tho

personally i like the option of 4 channels, that i can independantly monitor and effect from each other, as well as having the option for turntables and cdjs in the one setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Helix wrote:
    personally i like the option of 4 channels, that i can independantly monitor and effect from each other

I was out the other day, spending some money on myself and made an impulse buy. yeah right! :)

I forgot to add that i am definitey a Digital DJ. We use 2 laptops with pcm sound cards. We have a BCR2000 midi controller but use a DJM500 as our mixer. We generally use Traktor but have used VDJ and some Ableton.

chern0byl wrote:
    I was out the other day, spending some money on myself and made an impulse buy. yeah right! :)

nice little box isnt it

I'd say ive been in better but like Jessica Alba, i'll never know :o

That Xone looks amazing, but the price of it, OMG!

What else is there on the market that is worth a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

does anybody know if you can scratch (in real-time) with the hercules? are there any good usb controlers used for scratching on the market???

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd like to try digital but just cant imagine taking the step. How difficult is it to make the transition? I use a mac at the moment, anyone know what software is best/compatible to try out? I really think though that I'd miss the touch and feel of the vinyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I use Virtual DJ and I've also got two Pioneer CDJ 800s mk2. I haven't been using VDJ much lately as I've been getting good on the CDJs but I'm planning on integrating it all together fairly soon and maybe using VDJ as third deck and for acapellas and samples.

That sounds like a savage setup and plan to try to get something similar going myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Zascar wrote:
    That sounds like a savage setup and plan to try to get something similar going myself...

It's well savage alright! :D

Can post a few pics if anyone's interested in a goo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robbie Dunbar

Hey all, working dj in dublin doin 4 nights a week. Recently started using my apple powerbook to dj on using traktor dj studio 2 and would recomend it to anyone.

I have now purchased final scratch in the last few days and use it with the traktor programme. Basically what u do is plug ur decks (Vinly or CD) into a box then the box into ur laptop. Than load a track on the laptop using traktor programme and start your set like ur playing on vinyl or cd as the case may be.

Its incredible what you can do to make your sets work so much better with 7000 or 8000 songs at your finger tips...

If You go to the stanton final scratch website you can watch a demo movie... you'll be blown away!
    http://www.stantondj.com/v2/fs/prod_fs2.asp

final scratch is a bit pants

go for serrato if youre buying a midi timecoded vinyl codec system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭CTRob

I agree, I use serato scratch live, I think its awesome, very good scratching emulation and the timing is perfect imo.

I use a 12" powerbook, Ableton Live, and an M-audio 02 to triger events / samples. I'm thinking of getting one of these though. http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=microkontrol

Anybody know of realtime scratching / sampling programs for the mac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

sturgo wrote:
    does anybody know if you can scratch (in real-time) with the hercules? are there any good usb controlers used for scratching on the market???

The ipod mixer is supposed to be good. I dont like all that dj decks sh!te so I dunno really. A friend swears by the ipod mixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

That iPod mixer was crap - the first generation one was absolutely terrible anyhow. I've heard that the second generation one can cue up and has a "scratch emulation" thing going for it, but the only reason I'd buy it is for portability (wedding DJ etc...). Plus you're going to need to shell out for two iPods to go with it :(

• Advertisement

you only need one ipod for the new one

Helix wrote:
    its not complicated in the slighted. usb mixers are very very poor. youll cause more problems in the long run with one of them than a normal mixer. all you need is a soundcard with 4 outputs, and there are LOADS of cheap, affordable ones (like the m audio quattro, which i use when im playing ableton sets). after that you just plug the 2 stereo pairs from the soundcard o/ps into a mixer channel each, and then thats it
    Cheers Helix I might look into this. If I was to try to do this on a budget, whic sound card should I go for? Also any recommendations for a decent 2 channel mixer for a beginner/intermediate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Digital Dj as well....

using Dell Inspirion with VDJ running all tracks at above 256Kbit/sec for good sound quality.

Also running music videos to the clubs screens thru VDJ while mixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im a "normal dj" using mainly vinyl + cdj1000s but lately have been using Ableton purely for re-editing tracks the way I want them, Im pretty gobsmacked how powerful it is and thinking of "goin digital" lately, but ill be honest, I cant imagine doing it without a proper controller, something like Sashas Maven Controller, and not having to use a mouse in front of a big crowd, I like being able to interact with a crowd behind the decks so I dunno bout it just yet, anyone got €30,000 spare to build one of these?

Otherwise it may be a while before I "go digital" properly - If Cdjs arent classed as digital?

Access wrote:
    Digital Dj as well....

using Dell Inspirion with VDJ running all tracks at above 256Kbit/sec for good sound quality.

Also running music videos to the clubs screens thru VDJ while mixing.
    Hi Access,

Id love to try the video mixing thing, where do you get the videos from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Unfortunatley they are logo videos from TMF and MTV.

But the sound quality is spot on and anyway nobody in the club cares if they are logo videos as the videos look great on the screens and on the projector wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

yes.

macbook, AL5, midi controller.

Im more a production type but really getting into the DJ thing the last couple of months, hence selling my g5 and buying a laptop. Still have to replace my 61 key jobby with something portable like a UC33.
    Hoping to start doing the odd gig soon.

oh and - Hi Sturgo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hypnotic_tango

*shakes head*... i think... that all that new way to mix songs.. suck.... you never get it right.. it has to go by the numbers... and is very confusing... to me... plus it doesnt' sound right.. at all... i perfer good old vinyl... and if you got the right records... you got invested money... i think scraching with vinyl is the best way to go... but.. do what you want.. buy your fancy machine... you will never get that authentic touch.....

take it to another thread Tango

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hypnotic_tango

uhhh ohhh..lets not make enemies ..now..was just an opinion ......calm down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 djspider_40

I use PCDJ with the Karaoke plugin, a Behringer BCD-2000 mixer system, DAC-2, and now getting a 00DJ! Just do a search on Google for it! It's the dogs! But until then I use a Dell Latitude C640 with a 250GB external HDD for storing my MP3s and Karaoke tunes. I have only got about 2000 MP3s and 3000 karaoke tunes, but slowly getting more. I used to work in the UK where all the kit was provided, so now having to get my own. My boss gave me the PCDJ software as a 'leaving present' so that saved me a few pennies. But if anyone wants to see it in action, and have a suitable PA system to link it up to, (saving for amp and speakers!) drop me a mail and will gladly do a small gig for you. Not really into doing demo disks as my style changes to suit the gig. Take it sleazy! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I like Virtual DJ, have to say. We played with Traktor for ages and then moved to VDJ.

Used Traktor in a night club with 2 CD and 2 Vinyl decks, mainly because I hadnt converted my other music to MP3...

Havent mixed in a while tho, must start that again..

womoma wrote:
    yes.

macbook, AL5, midi controller.

Im more a production type but really getting into the DJ thing the last couple of months, hence selling my g5 and buying a laptop. Still have to replace my 61 key jobby with something portable like a UC33.
    Hoping to start doing the odd gig soon.

oh and - Hi Sturgo!

hay man, haven't seen u around 4 a while. raelly getting into ableton now. if only there was 8 says is a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

God things have moved on.. I remember doing a teenage disco with 2 portable cd players and 3 guitar amps :D

Last year I sold my Denon S5000's and Tascam X9 due to the fact that the coffin weighed twice as much as a bulky horse and it just didn't suit mobile gigs.

But now I'm pining for giggin and want to get back into it - which brings me into the digital age.

I was looking at that Hercules system, but reviews seem to be a bit mixed tbh so I might steer clear for the moment.

Can someone advise me?

I won't be looking to hook up seperate cd players for the moment - so it will literally be me and the laptop. I would really like an external control (hence the Hercules idea) and I don't mind having to splash out on a new/external sound card too.

Please help.

ps. would you recommend an external memory source for music storage?

Cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 djspider_40

UPDATE: have just sent off for my new 00DJ! :p Check it out here http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop/item.php?ref=12&id=35 I will be cooking with gas now! Watch out for my new website address soon! Take it sleazy peeps! :cool:

connundrum wrote:
    I was looking at that Hercules system, but reviews seem to be a bit mixed tbh so I might steer clear for the moment.
    Can someone advise me?

I won't be looking to hook up seperate cd players for the moment - so it will literally be me and the laptop. I would really like an external control (hence the Hercules idea) and I don't mind having to splash out on a new/external sound card too.
    As I said I haev the hercules and its a nice little piece of kit, but its pretty basic and not what you would call "Professional". However if all you want to do is bang out a decent set then its a very effective simple solution. I'll give you a demo of mine if you want just drop me a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Hi folks intersting thread........

I've got the Hercules Console, its not bad for the money but i'm mainly using it as an asio souncard with virtual dj timecoded vinyl with my 1210's, plenty of fun though and if you use splitter cables you can flick over to phono on the mixer in the event of a computer proble

I've had a go of serato and have to say its the best out there, the virtual dj timecode isnt bad though, and can be a cheaper option, but there is cheaper.........

If you are thinking of taking the plunge with timecode but dont want to shell out to much cash then djdecks is a nifty little program that supports the following timecoded vinyl :final scratch, serrato scratch, virtual dj and mspinky. the fully functional demo works for about 30 minutes then closes, it can be restarted though and youre off again. software is dirt cheap though 38 euro. Virtual dj timecode is 15 euro each, bung an extra soundcard in your pc and get asio4all installed and youre scratching mp3's for less than 60 euro!

http://www.virtualdj.com/shop/

www.djdecks.be

www.asio4all.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

i really havent been using the digtal software for mixing sets i prefer the old fashion way that tracktor 3 i think its cheating you lose the human factor from your sets. i have been using production based software started on reason and sound forge now ive started on cuebase sx.i wouldnt be a fan of the digtal mixing at all even though i know it will all be done that way in a few years long live the 1210

luzon wrote:
    i really havent been using the digtal software for mixing sets i prefer the old fashion way that tracktor 3 i think its cheating you lose the human factor from your sets. i have been using production based software started on reason and sound forge now ive started on cuebase sx.i wouldnt be a fan of the digtal mixing at all even though i know it will all be done that way in a few years long live the 1210
    that's why i'm glad that i've (kind of) learnt how to mix using 1210s before moving over to digital.
    in fairness, digital cuts out beatmixing and a lot of the adjustments needed (unless you're mixing with tunes ripped from vinyl...) but in doing so, it gives a hell of a lot more scope for creative mixing than just using a couple of turntables.
    digital mixing is only cheating if you're clicking the beatmatch button and then sliding the crossfader over time after time, you can add a lot of human touch to your mixes if you can just be bothered to use it for doing more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

*shakes head*... i think... that all that new way to mix songs.. suck.... you never get it right.. it has to go by the numbers... and is very confusing... to me... plus it doesnt' sound right.. at all... i perfer good old vinyl... and if you got the right records... you got invested money... i think scraching with vinyl is the best way to go... but.. do what you want.. buy your fancy machine... you will never get that authentic touch.....

ehhhh.......bullesheize...................

serato scratch is just as authentic as using "real vinyl" as long as you use mp3's/wav's of a high enough sample rate and bit depth youc an even record in your vinyl which will give you those lovely snap cracklse and pops vinyl "purists" seem to love so much

also if you are thinking about changing to digital from turntables serato is the cheapest and i would say the best way to go (cant remember his name but the "pro" dj who originally promoted final scratch now uses serato despite a lucrative contract with stanton and their so called improvements) and it has never ever ever crashed on me ....ever..........which is alot better than the report's iv heard about final scratch

helix......on a side note the vinyls arent midi time coded its the manufacurers own time code whereas as far as i know midi time code is universal......serato isnt midi compatible at all and as far as i know final scratch isnt either(but never used final scratch so cant swear to it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

connundrum wrote:

Can someone advise me?

Cheers! :D

my little brother has the hercules(i think one of the basic models) and being honest it seems very very toy like to me maybe the quality increases with the "pro" version but i doubt it.

if you have a laptop already i would defo advise ableton live 5 and a midi controller(behringer controllers would be a good starting point) and i think that with some controllers you get a alight version of ableton so you can try it out before upgrading to the full version

• Advertisement
Advertisement