Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emo and goth punk

Options
  • 02-07-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

honestly now whats the **** is the difference except the look of gothpunk there both equally as bad tho

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wouldnt have a clue. Music forum tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

noone really knows anymore.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what happened was a few kids looked at the whole goth 'thing' and thought to themselves 'that's pretty good, but I bet I could be more of a talentless jackass'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

noone really knows anymore.....

or cares

true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

let them do what they want tbh...

at least they aren't going around keyying cars or going around looking for fights.

there's a lot worse things they could be doing than their stereotypical moping around and feeling sorry for themselves.

Cremo wrote:
    let them do what they want tbh...

at least they aren't going around keyying cars or going around looking for fights.

there's a lot worse things they could be doing than their stereotypical moping around and feeling sorry for themselves.

well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Meh...

[php]while($posting_sh1te == '1') {
    $post_count ++
    }[/php]

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

they're melancholy and expressing it with make up, a long fringe and 'emotional' music

every teen deserves something to regret in their later years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Meh...

$post_count ++
    }[/php]
    Hmm, that should be my sig after every post.

$post_count ++
    }[/php]

• Advertisement

With 12,000 posts I won't argue with that! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Do you mean that Evanescence, Rasmus stuff? Goth - hilarious! If they listened to an album by The Birthday Party they'd run home crying to their mommies!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's not the music he means.
    That's not goth music, hah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

weeder wrote:
    gothpunk

Eh? :confused:

Goth evolved from the late 70's Post-Punk scene. See bands like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Siouxsie & The Banshees, and so forth, for example.

"Gothpunk" is a new one on me though.

Any comparisons with Emo... :confused:

Yes. Its all one big stupid melting pot of idiots that don't know what they're talking about and label things accordingly. Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

There were goth punk (or death rock) bands in the late 70s/early 80s but that term died fairly quick.

Looking at this typical image portrayed in hipster rock today with the eyeliner and the black hair, I'm not surprised that people believe that those bands are somewhat associated with goth. It's unfortunate, but I respect their right to be unknowledgeable.

There were goth punk (or death rock) bands in the late 70s/early 80s but that term died fairly quick.

Looking at this typical image portrayed in hipster rock today with the eyeliner and the black hair, I'm not surprised that people believe that those bands are somewhat associated with goth. It's unfortunate, but I respect their right to be unknowledgeable.
    I don't.

You know, it might be an incredible coincidence, but I've just noticed your location was "In the flat field", Freak Scenery. Fair play. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You know, it might be an incredible coincidence, but I've just noticed your location was "In the flat field", Freak Scenery. Fair play. ;)

He gets boards, he does get boards, in the flat field :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Eh? :confused:

Goth evolved from the late 70's Post-Punk scene. See bands like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Siouxsie & The Banshees, and so forth, for example.

"Gothpunk" is a new one on me though.

Any comparisons with Emo... :confused:
    well examples of goth punk being
    aiden#my chem romance
    basically emo dressed funnier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

John2 wrote:
    He gets boards, he does get boards, in the flat field :D

Thats either the best or worst pun ever I have yet to decide

Thats either the best or worst pun ever I have yet to decide

You know, I'm unsure myself...

weeder wrote:
    well examples of goth punk being
    aiden#my chem romance
    basically emo dressed funnier

Neither of those bands are anything remotely goth. Pop punk maybe. I suggest you actually give a listen to the bands I mentioned, and gather some knowledge on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

The Rasmus and Evanescence, yikes!
    All these genres are gonna make my head explode. Two categories from now on: sh**e and Not sh**e. I'd put Fall Out Boy, Greenday, Rasmus, Evanescence, Panic At The Disco, My Chemical Romance into the first category anyway.

Bixmoo wrote:
    Two categories from now on: sh**e and Not sh**e.

That's all you really need. Oh and amazing. You need that for some artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

John2 wrote:
    That's all you really need. Oh and amazing. You need that for some artists.

You also need something like "Extra ****e". You know, for the Sandi Thoms of this world. :)

odhran wrote:
    You also need something like "Extra ****e". You know, for the Sandi Thoms of this world. :)

No you don't, you just narrow your classification of music to exclude them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

ya I think that's a good idea, two categories for most bands but then an extra special category like 'amazing' for some bands. And it has to be very strictly applied so the term isn't diluted

In fairness, genres serve a purpose aslong as you don't read to much into it. It can give you an idea of what a band might sound like.

However, I think Peter Murphy would be spinning in his grave if "Goth" was likened to bands like My Chemical Romance.

Anyway, check out these videos, and learn:

Fields Of The Nephilim - Psychonaut
    Bauhaus - In The Flat Field (You can see where the punk influences come in here, and I'm sure you could even call Bauhaus "Goth punk." Sounds absolutely nothing like Aiden. Thankfully.)
    The Mission - Wasteland
    Sisters Of Mercy - Dominion (Had to include this one, as it's where the Goth club in Dublin, Dominion, got the name.)
    Type O Negative - Black #1 (Very tongue in cheek, but it's an often heard song in many a goth club.)
    Fields Of The Nephilim - Moonchild (Because FotN just rocked, and they were pretty mental too.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All flippin' class. I so wanted to be a goth in 1989 but I was only 11 and my mum wouldn't buy me beetlecrushers/Doc Marten boots/the make-up etc. :( You can't beat the Sisters. Check out Temple of Love and This Corrosion too. Ridiculous but brilliant.

Advertisement