Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone honestly say they predicted this WC?

• 02-07-2006 4:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭

did anyone expect all 3 of the pre-tournament favouties Brazil, Argentina and England (according to the bookies) not making the Semi-Finals.

anyone expect the french revival we seem to be witnessing,
    England and Germany once again having their usual penalty results.

this world cup has been very odd after all the big teams came through the groups except prehaps the ageing/injury stricken czechs but then dropped out in the quater-finals after being unable to preform to the expected standard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Tbh i have found this WC for the most part rather dissapointing, the level of play has just not been what i expected. Lat nites game between Brazil and France was how all the games shoulda been played...
    Was a bit suprised not to see argentina go through, england didnt deserve to get that far tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yes france win in france germany win in germany, wheres is the next world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

south africa in 2010.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

South Africa... so maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

http://www.nationsonline.org/map_small/south_africa_map.jpg :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm happy enough with my pre-WC predictions, said England would go out in the QFs, Italy were my each-way tip to win. I did think Brazil would be the team to beat, but once I saw Adriano and Ronaldo lumbering on to the pitch in the group stages I knew they wouldn't win it.

Wasn't surprised by any of the last 16 or QF results tbh. Maybe had the draw worked out differently we'd still have Argentina in the last 4.

Germany have surprised me by how good they are, and France seemed to have found another couple of gears. Didn't see either of those happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I predicted an Italy win , so things are kind of going as I expected .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Here's who we all thought were going to come out of the groups:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940262

My mind must still have been in 2002 for me not to think Argentina would progress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Germany were always going to get to the semi's I thought and so would Italy. Portugal were my dark horse and France weren't even considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I was way off, that's all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Group A
    1. Germany
    2. Costa Rica
    3. Poland
    4. Ecuador

Group B
    1. England
    2. Paraguay
    3. Trinidad & Tob
    4. Sweden

Group C
    1. Argentina
    2. Ivory Coast
    3. Serb Mont
    4. Holland

Group D
    1. Mexico
    2. Iran
    3. Angola
    4. Portugal

Group E
    1. Italy
    2. Ghana
    3. United States
    4. Czech Rep

Group F
    1. Brazil
    2. Croatia
    3. Australia
    4. Japan

Group G
    1. France
    2. Switzerland
    3. South Korea
    4. Togo

Group H
    1. Spain
    2. Ukraine
    3. Tunisia
    4. Saudi Arabia

I did pretty good for groups A,B,C,D and H and got 1 right from each of the others.

However, Italy are the only team that i predicted to be in the semi-finals, who are still there. I think I had Argentina, Italy, Brazil and Holland as my last 4, hehe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ha!
    i got all the 2nd round teams right
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

ha!
    i got all the 2nd round teams right
    :)

Makes a change from you just thinking you're always right ;)

As regards my own predictions, I expected Germany to go far and they have. I also expected Brazil to walk the tournament before it though so I suppose my predictions are working out at about 50-50.

Lemlin wrote:
    Makes a change from you just thinking you're always right ;)

but at least we can still be guarenteed you will try and make a smart arse remark.

insert token winkie smilie here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

but at least we can still be guarenteed you will try and make a smart arse remark.

insert token winkie smilie here.

I have money on Germany to win and Klose to be top scorer. 20-1 odds i got. i placed it after first game though. I think Italy will be a tough game for them. if they get by that game, theyll be hard to stop in final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Think my semi final was

Brazil v Holland

Germany v Italy

not bad. I had Brazil to win the WC beating Germany though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Yeah I predicted this World Cup, I reckoned it would be on in Germany from 9/06 to 9/07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I backed France and Portugal, so guaranteed a final team anyway.

I'll be able to lay whoever wins their semi final on betfair to guarantee a tidy profit.

tred wrote:
    I have money on Germany to win and Klose to be top scorer. 20-1 odds i got. i placed it after first game though. I think Italy will be a tough game for them. if they get by that game, theyll be hard to stop in final..

if only i had had the convictions of my beliefs, i would have had that bet on as well.

although, the second round waas a bit different for me. i predicted holland to oust portugal, and was hoping hoping hoping that oz would beat italy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

went into bookies for the first time in six months on saturday 3 bets

Henry to score first v brazil :D
    France to win in 90mis :D

Got 10/1 returns on the first 2

And put 20 on France to win outwright @ 11/1 (now 15/8)

If Zidane keeps playing like that they will be hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I knew Brazil wouldn't win it or perform particularly well.

I had Italy and Portugal down to do well.

I thought Argentina would get to the semis at least.

I honestly didn't give the Germans a chance, I suppose that's what hosting the WC can do for you.

I couldn't have predicted how France would do at all, if someone told me that they'd crash out in the group stage or go on to win it wouldn't have surprised me either way.

I was fairly certain England wouldn't get past the quarter finals.

My dark horses failed spectacularly (the Eastern European sides) apart from Ukraine.

Also thought Luca Toni would be top scorer, could happen after his brace in the quarters but fairly unlikely given how tight the game will probably be from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

did anyone expect all 3 of the pre-tournament favouties Brazil, Argentina and England (according to the bookies) not making the Semi-Finals.

anyone expect the french revival we seem to be witnessing,
    England and Germany once again having their usual penalty results.

this world cup has been very odd after all the big teams came through the groups except prehaps the ageing/injury stricken czechs but then dropped out in the quater-finals after being unable to preform to the expected standard

Yes I did.

I actually layed Brazil not to get to final at 6/4:D .

No SA team has won it in Europe except for Brazil in 1958. This Brazil team is probably the weakest ever. I expected Argentina to probably make semi finals with a good draw.

I think Germany will not make final , hard to say who will win it now but Id have to go with Italy who got the luck of the draw. The team with the luck of the draw usually wins. :)

Advertisement