Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying a hard drive whats the best way ?

Options
  • 02-07-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Ok now that i have my RIG finished !!! i would like to copy some if not all my old files from my old hard drive to one of my new ones

I've heard it's called ghosting or soemthing like that but i'm not to sure how it's done..

Is it possible to copy some of the files over or do you have to copy the whole HD?

Also how do i go about doing it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

plug the drive into an IDE or sata connector on your motherboard...
    you say you built a computer yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You re-install windows, boot into the new drive and use your other as a slave and copy over the files. Ghosting a old windows install with the wrong drivers is a mistake with a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i didnt have to copy it in the end... when i plugged it in i was able to access the hard drive.... I didnt think it would work, i thought i would have to format it before it would work ... so it's ok.

And fuzzylogic i was asking how to copy/ghost a hdd not install one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

NeVeR wrote:
    i didnt have to copy it in the end... when i plugged it in i was able to access the hard drive.... I didnt think it would work, i thought i would have to format it before it would work ... so it's ok.

And fuzzylogic i was asking how to copy/ghost a hdd not install one...
    lol that s my point. all you had to do was install it, no messin around!

Advertisement