Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU Psych

Options
  • 02-07-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Can someone fill me in as I'm trying to make some sense of this - if I want to get a Psych degree from the OU just exactly what courses/how many do I need to do and where there are options which courses would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think the following link on the OU website is hopefully what you're looking for.

In terms of where there's subject choices, the best choice is going to depend on you - you're interests and what you want to achieve and of course your starting point. So if you've specific questions about choosing one subject over another feel free to ask and hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

Other then that, each subject module provided has points associated with it. The whole degree requires 360 points, so breaking that into 3, you need 120 points for each of their levels. Once you complete a module successfully you'll get all the points allocated to it, so you're not worrying about getting 21 of 30 points for achieving 70% on a 30 point module - you get all 30 out of 30 upon completion.

If you've done previous courses these may count towards some of your earlier points, enabling you to start at a more advanced point - see the section "Credit for previous study elsewhere" in the link above.

Hopefully that's of help, let us know if more's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

hi - just in final year of my OU BSC Psychology degree! It will have taken me 5 years, doing a 60point course per year with additional 45 points made up from smaller courses (1 30point course, 1 15point & 1 10point!). However, for degrees being achieved after 2007 (when I complete mine, my 5th year) you will have to take 5 CORE 60point courses instead of the current 4.

I think concievably - unless you have LOTS (and I mean LOTS) of time on your hands...you'll take 6 years...twice as long as a redbrick college.

But OU are great in their taeching styles etc. Would do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

So is it much easier for ppl who already have a qualification even if non-related? I have a BSc in a no related course so thinking of starting the conversion dip in Jan. Its just that some of the "red-brick" options are either too pricey or take too long to achieve. I was calculating 4 years from now? Or am I way off the mark? Ahhhh ... :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Jelmpsych

Hi people, my names Jerry Dixon and I'm the Hon. Secretary of DWOP (Work & Org Psych) at the Psychological Society of Ireland. If you'd like to contact the PSI on 01 474 9160 i will gladly answer your questions (alternatively you can contact DWOP via the website at www.psi.org.ie) . Also if your anyway near Belfast next Feb, the BPS & PSI are hosting the annual careers day at Queen's.

I'll look forward to your enquiries

cheers

Jerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Jelmpsych

Hi people, my names Jerry Dixon and I'm the Hon. Secretary of DWOP (Work & Org Psych) at the Psychological Society of Ireland (i'm also the Lecturer for DSE 212 covering the Cork area).If you'd like to contact the PSI on 01 474 9160 i will gladly answer your questions (alternatively you can contact DWOP via the website at www.psi.org.ie) . Also if your anyway near Belfast next Feb, the BPS & PSI are hosting the annual careers day at Queen's.

I'll look forward to your enquiries

cheers

Jerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Surion wrote:
    hi - just in final year of my OU BSC Psychology degree! It will have taken me 5 years, doing a 60point course per year with additional 45 points made up from smaller courses (1 30point course, 1 15point & 1 10point!). However, for degrees being achieved after 2007 (when I complete mine, my 5th year) you will have to take 5 CORE 60point courses instead of the current 4.

I think concievably - unless you have LOTS (and I mean LOTS) of time on your hands...you'll take 6 years...twice as long as a redbrick college.

But OU are great in their taeching styles etc. Would do it again!

Quick question,

Is there much of a difference between doing to full BA/BSc in Psychology and the graduate conversion? I already have a non-relevant BSc (Computer)??? I'm just tryin to keep the entire process as simple as possible!

Thanks

D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Hi, sorry for delay in reply. As far as i know you get 'some' points awared to you (out of a possible 360) for previous EXAMINED study elsewhere. How they do this and how much they award i'm not so sure - depends on study & degree etc. BUT, do not underestimate that the OU is an expensive degree but far more enjoyable imo.

As for the conversion dip - you will achieve a named degree however, in order to obtain BPS (British Psychological Society) recognition (and thus work in the field) you must take the 4 core subjects, each being 60 point courses. The BPS and by association the PSI will not recognise your degree without said courses.

Nothing is ever simple!

Advertisement