Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pregnant?

• 02-07-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this post. I didn't want to post in the parenting forum as you have to log in for that and this is more of a personal issue.

So anyway, i've noticed in last few weeks my emotions have been a bit all over the place. Crying at the stupid things (an advert for Dove for example).
    My breasts have been tender the past two weeks without any sign of going away and i've been going to the bathroom alot more even though im not drinking any more than usual.
    A quick google tells me these are some signs for being pregnant although these can mean other things too.

Im going to go out and get a home pregnancy test some time this week but if it turns out to be positive im more worried about what to tell my parents then actually been pregnant.
    Im just terrified they will be disappointed in me even though i'm not exactly terrified at the though of having a baby. If that makes any scense. Does anyone have much experiecne in these matters? I would really love to know what you did.
    Some context - in a long term relationship, early twenties, still living at home.

I know i could be worrying about nothing but i just feel like i know the test will be positive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

waiting wrote:
    Im going to go out and get a home pregnancy test some time this week but if it turns out to be positive im more worried about what to tell my parents then actually been pregnant.
    They may be disappointed that the circumstances aren't ideal, but most parents are supportive when it comes to the crunch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Do a test asap... No point worrying until you know for sure and stress can cause a delay in your period too.. Your parents, if they're anything like mine will probably loose the head at first but will calm down and help you in every way possible and want whats best for you... And your (possible) baby :)

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

You'd be surprised how parents react when it comes to big issues with their children. They will know you are worried sick and be supportive. I'm sure they'll be shocked but you are in a relationship so theses things happen. Good luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well as surprising and as unscheduled as it this maybe it could be worse you could have cancer. :)

Do a test to be sure and then have a think about what you want to do about the situation and then take to your partner.

You parents need not be told right away until you have a plan.
    This way you are showing to them you are a grown up and will handle the situation.

Lots of first pregancies are unplanned and if you are going to proceed well it could be worse you could be a lot younger and in worse straights,
    yes it may mean rearranging your life and doing things a bit sooner then you had planned but as my Nana used to say "Babies are good news they bring families together".
    I wish you well in the days and months to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

waiting wrote:
    So anyway, i've noticed in last few weeks my emotions have been a bit all over the place. Crying at the stupid things (an advert for Dove for example).

The one about the self-esteem fund for the young girls? That one made me cry too :p

There is no point in stressing yourself out until you know for sure. I know thats easier said than done but do try anot to panic. Do the test and tehn take it from there.

If it comes down to it, your parents might surprise you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheTruthFairy

Crying and tender breasts are both symptoms of PMT. And if you are only a few weeks pregnant it would not be putting any pressure on your bladder.

Do a pregnancy test then worry about what to do if it is positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

exact same thing happened to me just last week, i broke down crying while out one night and sometimes felt like crying at the stupidist things i also felt weird, so I thought i was pregnant....But it was all in my head I got my period in the end. The best thing is try not to worry about it,makes it so much worse.
    Good luck with it anyway hun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You can have all those symptoms in pregnancy or none at all, have all those symptoms when your period is due or even bring on the late period & symptoms by convincing yourself you are pregnant when you're not - so these things are not necesarrily a definate indication of pregnancy....Do you think you are pregnant because you have had unprotected sex? Have you skipped a period?

I would get a test ASAP so at least you know & can start planning rather than torturing yourself with the am I aren't I stuff....best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭AnitaMcCluskey

I recently moved to Germany with my boyfriend and my mother came to see me to check everything was in order and the first thing she said to me was 'your boobs are huge - Are you pregnant? Of course I said that it was impossible - my exact words were that I'm not that stupid! Anyways after she left I notice that I was very emotional and what she said stuck in my mind. When my period didn't come, I convinced myself that because of what she said I was worrying myself and they would come eventually but they didn't. After a week or so, my boyfriend forced me to do a test and I was completely Gobsmacked when it came out positive. Some mothers really have an intuition about these things. Anyways, I was extremely concerned of her reaction because of her bluntness when she questioned the size of my boobs. To make matters worse I had to tell her over the phone, I spent over an hour on the phone talking about crap before saying it and her reaction was brilliant. In fact ever since she has spoilt me in every way possible. She comes to all my hospital appointments with me and has a whole wardrobe full of things for the baby already. I was more concerned with the announcing than the actually fact that my life would change forever. She is more excited about the baby than I am sometimes. Anyways, what I'm actually saying is that although it's the hardest thing in the world to tell, you could be pleasantly surprised and if not, give them a day or two to get use to it and they'll be shouting it from the rooftop and you will be wondering what you made all the fuss about.
    Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Any update from the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

What age are you and is there are guy who will stay with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're out of your teens, you may be truly astonished at how delighted your mother is at a random announcement that you're pregnant. If you're in a long-term relationship, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jail8ird

Most women have a miscarriage in the first few weeks of being
    pregnant the first time so its good advice to take stock of the
    situation for a few weeks after you've received a positive test.

My wife was nearly 2 months pregnant when she had a miscarriage.
    She was pretty trumatised at losing the baby but we found out
    that it is pretty common first time round to lose it early. Not very
    long after she got pregnant again and we're now the happiest
    parents of 2 little girls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

waiting wrote:
    Going unreg for this post. I didn't want to post in the parenting forum as you have to log in for that and this is more of a personal issue.

My breasts have been tender the past two weeks without any sign of going away and i've been going to the bathroom alot more even though im not drinking any more than usual.
    A quick google tells me these are some signs for being pregnant although these can mean other things too.

Im just terrified they will be disappointed in me even though i'm not exactly terrified at the though of having a baby. If that makes any scense. Does anyone have much experiecne in these matters? I would really love to know what you did.
    Some context - in a long term relationship, early twenties, still living at home.

I know i could be worrying about nothing but i just feel like i know the test will be positive.

I was in the exact same situation as you are now this time last year, give or take a few weeks. Mid 20's, living at home, long term relationship.

I had symptoms like yours -for me, the biggest clue was breast tenderness - I could barely dress they were so sore! I presume your period is late... I knew from very very early on indeed that I was pregnant - within 3 weeks of conceiving. I only got the hormonal emotional crashes towards the middle and end of my pregnancy, not the beginning, but each woman is different.

After I did a test (came out positive within 10 seconds, none of this waiting 2 minutes nonsense!), I was secretly happy about it. I've always wanted kids, I'm in a stable relationship and I knew I'd be able to handle it, but like you, I was worried about what my parents would say. I was surprised how chuffed they were - there were no lectures at all, no hard words, just acceptance and excitement.

I had my daughter on February 11th this year, and its the best thing thats ever happened to me.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Congrats Embee!
    She's a little dote!

Advertisement