Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have the right not to post my photo ?...

Options
  • 03-07-2006 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Currently, it appears that we are being forced to post our personal photo's on the North West forum, with the added threat of a ban.

One of the moderators has started a thread, whereby if you do not post a photo of yourself, you will be 'banned' from all of the forum for a week.

This I believe is fundamentally wrong, as the 'right to anonyimity' on the w.w.w. is protected..

Therefore, as the moderator and I have NOT reached agreement. I hereby make my objection official.

P. :cool:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

From what I can see in that thread, if you post in that thread without posting a picture, you will be banned. Same as the know your nerds thread in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sorry,but again,I don't think you have to post in that thread. However, if you do then you must post a photo in that thread. If you don't, you get a ban. Not every thread demands Paddy20. Don't want to post a photo? Don't post in that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres no need to post in that particular thread without a picture, thats whats its there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If You Have No Pic On This Thread, You Will Get Banned For A Week
    It probably could be reworded actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Karoma wrote:
    Sorry,but again,I don't think you have to post in that thread. However, if you do then you must post a photo in that thread. If you don't, you get a ban. Not every thread demands Paddy20. Don't want to post a photo? Don't post in that thread.

Karoma, I totally agree, but the moderator and thread starter 'nanook' has informed me that I will receive a ban for a week from all of the North- West forum ?.. and I can not accept this as a matter of principle, and my basic civil right not to post a photo of myself, in the interest of my right to privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does it specify that the picture has to be of your face? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You are being forced into posting your personal photo? - my god, how did you get yourself into that situation. Those forum mods must be real slave drivers altogether :D

What a load of nonsense Paddy20 and you know it or do you just reply to PM's without reading the ones you receive.

There was a thread started and in the opening post it was made abundantly clear that if you wished to post in that thread then you had to post a pic of your ugly mug with it. If you posted without a pic then you get banned for a week. Very very simple to understand or at least everyone else understood it.

You had the choice before you posted in that thread. Nobody forced you into posting.

For someone who has posted their photo for the last 2 years as part of their signature and then come here complaining about the right to anonimity is a bit thick to put it mildly

esel wrote:
    Does it specify that the picture has to be of your face? :eek:
    Nice one :D

In this instance we would never know the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Paddy20 wrote:
    currently, it appears that we are being forced to post our personal photo's on the North West forum, with the added threat of a ban.

One of the moderators has started a thread, whereby if you do not post a photo of yourself, you will be benned from all of the forum for a week.

This I believe is fundamentally wrong, as the 'right to anonyimity' on the w.w.w. is protected..

Therefore, as the moderator and I have NOT reached agreement. I hereby make my objection official.

From the thread in question (links would be nice Paddy20). The emphasis is mine:
    You can only post on here if you have posted a pic of yourself, if we think it is not you then you will be banned and have to explain afterwards.

If that means the forum, then I totally agree with you. If that just refers to the thread, then you are making something out of nothing. Especially as you started another thread looking for people to post pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

muffler wrote:
    What a load of nonsense Paddy20 and you know it or do you just reply to PM's without reading the ones you receive.

I agree 100%, but this
    If You Have No Pic On This Thread, You Will Get Banned For A Week

has to be reworded...

• Advertisement

Reword to "You may only post in this thread if you...", or similar, for this one person. (Yes; everyone else and their cat understood.)
    Much ado about nothing,as per usual,Paddy20!!!!eleven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Paddy20, if you were anymore uptight you could make a mint by shoving coal up your arse on the ole diamond exchange...

muffler wrote:
    You are being forced into posting your personal photo? - my god, how did you get yourself into that situation. Those forum mods must be real slave drivers altogether :D

There was a thread started and in the opening post it was made abundantly clear that if you wished to post in that thread then you had to post a pic of your ugly mug with it. If you posted without a pic then you get banned for a week. Very very simple to understand or at least everyone else understood it.

You had the choice before you posted in that thread. Nobody forced you into posting.

For someone who has posted their photo for the last 2 years as part of their signature and then come here complaining about the right to anonimity is a bit thick to put it mildly

muffler,

If you do not understand my point, perhaps you should consider your impartialty as a moderator on the said forum ?..

The ability to be impartial and the ability to read the mind of every idiot with unique, misinformed, and absurd ideas are different things. I've said it before,and I'll say it again: you need help (Dictionary, brain transplant, whatever it takes.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think the mob has spoken, Paddy20. :)

Trilla wrote:
    I agree 100%, but this

has to be reworded...
    All was clearly explained in the opening post of that thread and nanook, being as helpful as he could, reiterated the main rule in the follow up post so as to avoid any possibility of bannings.

Everyone else understood it as did Paddy20 but then again it is or was against the demands of the people and an infringement on basic human rights and deprived him of his fundamental right of choice ..........yawn.....yawn.

As nanook has gone to beddies for the night I have amended the wording of that RULE. I can possibly do a braile version if necessary ;)

eoin_s wrote:
    From the thread in question (links would be nice Paddy20). The emphasis is mine:

If that means the forum, then I totally agree with you. If that just refers to the thread, then you are making something out of nothing. Especially as you started another thread looking for people to post pictures.

soin_s,

Look under 'regions' then North West. This is a matter of simple principles, as I was informed by a moderator, That the ban applied to all of the North West Forum if I did not post a photo under the 'Photo Check' Thread, I would be benned for a week, that amounts to blackmail IMHO, and I believe that is wrong, if not illegal.

muffler is perfectly entitled to his opinion, let him live with it !.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Show us the PM then. With the author's permission of course.

feylya wrote:
    Show us the PM then. With the author's permission of course.

Out of respect, I will leave it to the moderator to choose. He has my permission to post his relevant PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

if not illegal

welcome to the dumbest thing i've heard all day.

Paddy, have you ever thought about the law? ever? other than if its bad to you, it must be illegal? or if you dont understand it, it must be illegal?

ITS ALL ILLEGAL I SAY, ILLEGAL!

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    Out of respect, I will leave it to the moderator to choose. He has my permission to post his relevant PM.

Deleting this "However, I reserve the right to post it. ;)" from your post doesn't make it alright.

I am going to sleep on this and will reflect on the matter tomorrow with a clearer head

woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah Paddy20... haven't you already PM'd the admins with a nudey photo?
    Expect a siteban if you answered No to any of the above questions.

Karoma wrote:
    woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah Paddy20... haven't you already PM'd the admins with a nudey photo?
    Expect a siteban if you answered No to any of the above questions.

Karoma,

Get lost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pwnd10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Paddy20 wrote:
    currently, it appears that we are being forced to post our personal photo's on the North West forum, with the added threat of a ban.

One of the moderators has started a thread, whereby if you do not post a photo of yourself, you will be benned from all of the forum for a week.
    Paddy, as a frequent reader / occassional poster in the NW forum, I think it's fair enough that for one thread that is expressly for people to post a picture of themselves, by their own choice, that only those who have (bravely?) done so should be allowed to post messages on therer.

I read through that thread yesterday (Sunday), and there were a couple of photos where I wanted to ask if I knew somebody, but as I haven't posted a photo I managed to resist the urge to post in that one thread. I could post a photo if I were to choose, but yesterday I looked like I'd been sleeping rough, and as well as that I'd have to wonder if I should put a photo to the tripe that's been posted under this name :D

So I would disagree with your original post, and think you should re-word your complaint, as it does appear to paint the picture that posting in the thread (and thus posting your photo) is compulsory to stay on the NW forum. I know nobody should have to reveal any information about themselves, but I seem to recall seeing your photo posted voluntarily by yourself on here already :D

Voluntarilly is correct ?.. no further explanation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys

I have to say this has really gotton out of hand.

Fisrtly paddy ruined my whole day with this shyte yesterday, and it seems he continued through out the night on his crusade.

It seems the general opinion is that the participation only applied to thread but unfortunatley the ban applied to the forum, but i will reword it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just to point out, paddy knows the rule of the particular thread and continued to post afterwards, so he is banned for two weeks due to two posts in the middle of the night.

I dont know what the problem is and i dont know why it got out of hand but hey life is life.

Could the mod of feedback please transfer this to the north west as i would like to get some opinions from the locals also.

Thanks for everyone's input.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hmmm, maybe the admins shouldn't have sent all the mods on that training course in Abu Ghraib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Paddy20 wrote:
    currently, it appears that we are being forced to post our personal photo's on the North West forum, :

is this true?

are you being forced to post your picture in that forum?
    Paddy20 wrote:
    , with the added threat of a ban.

and this would be becuase you are being forced to post it, right?
    Paddy20 wrote:
    One of the moderators has started a thread, whereby if you do not post a photo of yourself, :

i best get in there and post, i wouldnt want to be banned. although i would prefer to have been informed about it before i get banned.

how long do i have before the ban kicks on if i dont post my picture. and i odnt think ive even posted there before. i certailny feel its unfair to ban me from a forum ive never visited just becuase i didnt post my picture in there.

that is so unfair!
    Paddy20 wrote:

i agree!
    Paddy20 wrote:
    :

im going to have to agree.
    ive never posten my picture here, and nor do i want to. and i feel that if i get banned for it, then its a miscarriage of justice.

oh, hold on. you gave misleading info didnt you.

thats not what is happening at all....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement