Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Best Mate

Options
  • 03-07-2006 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Dont know if anyone in similar situation??? i have a lurcher cross of 17yrs, tomorrow may be his last day with me. late sept last year he had a stroke of which the vet gave him 24hrs to live, but bless him hes a fighter, yesterday he had another bad one. i think the time has come to bit the bullet as paralisis (mainly left) has taken hold, love him dearly but crule and selfish to let him suffer, any one with similar situation, need support !!!! :(
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My heart goes out to you, Foxey, this is the hardest decision one has to make. But it also shows how much you love the dog if you refuse to let him suffer any longer (we humans are not that fortunate). I have lost many along my journey through life, both rescues and my own private dogs. *A dogs only fault is its short lifespan*, I don't remember who said it but it is very true. Be his true friend and let him go * hugs*. I find comfort in a beautiful poem which brings tears into my eyes as it hold so many memories. Maybe it will help you too:

MAY I GO

May I go now?
    Do you think the time is right?
    May I say goodbye to pain filled days
    and endless lonely nights?

I've lived my life and done my best,
    an example tried to be.
    So can I take that step beyond
    and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
    I fought with all my might.
    But something seems to draw me now
    to a warm and loving light.

I want to go. I really do.
    It's difficult to stay.
    But I will try as best I can
    to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me
    and share your love and fears.
    I know you're sad and afraid,
    because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that,
    and hope you'll always know
    that my spirit will be close to you
    wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me.
    You know I love you, too.
    That's why it's hard to say goodbye
    and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
    and let me hear you say,
    because you care so much for me,
    you'll let me go today.

(Dedicated to everyone who has ever had to put down a beloved dog.)

Author: Susan A. Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I truly feel for you - had to put my beloved Springer of 16 years to sleep 3 months ago. Was pretty heart broken, but an excellent website helped me through in support and such - but I still miss him dearly.

Hope it'll help: www.petloss.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I feel for you - we had to put our rescue rottie down a couple of months ago & we still often call him as if he is still with us.

I always find this site really good when I am missing my babies http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Huge hugs it is never easy to say goodbye.

Advertisement