Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Exchange - How do you know?

• 03-07-2006 9:18am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I live in Kilmessan, County Meath.

The local exchange is Tara and it's too far away to avail of broadband.
    I've noticed outside my house that a trench was dug recently and manhole covers with the "Eircom" have been placed at various points along said trench.

I've also heard rumours that there is going to be a new exchange because the Tara exchance can't handle all the new housing developments in Kilmessan. How would one find out if such a thing was true?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Your dialup speed which is now 20k-35k jumps to 48k . Thats how you know for sure.

Eircom do not put DSL into these subexchanges unless they come under pressure from the local TD who may also be the minishter of something ....Dempsey .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

That sounds very typical of Eircom.

I've emailed a guy in the council about it now, I'll wait to see if he can shed any light about it.

Thanks for the reply Sponge Bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Your dialup speed which is now 20k-35k jumps to 48k . Thats how you know for sure.

Eircom do not put DSL into these subexchanges unless they come under pressure from the local TD who may also be the minishter of something ....Dempsey .
    broadband exchanges do dialup as well??
    I thought it dialed directly to the ISP's centre using a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Dial-up speeds may improve if the line length is shortened. Doesn't always hold true but it's a good indicator.

I'm not sure it's possible to convert existing lines to a new exchange. I think Tullyallen in Co. Louth has an exchange for a housing estate yet lines further away from Drogheda than the exchange is, are connected to Drogheda.

Advertisement