Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor or Vodafone

• 03-07-2006 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm thinking of giving meteor a shot, change over and keep my old number, to see do I actually end up spending less money. Can any meteor users here tell me their experiences with coverage and where etc... And try convince to switch/to stay with vodafone. As for what I use my phone for, recieving calls and lots of texting, pay as I go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I've never had a problem with Meteor coverage. I'm pretty sure I spend less with them than when I was with VF. Change over, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

vodafone are bad - their website is down again this morning yes you get free web texts but you cant use them as the site crashes several times a month

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm with Vodafone... And yes it is quite annoying when the site is down.. Nothing worse than typing out your txt only to be told its not going anywhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I bought a new phone at the weekend and decided to stick with Vodafone. Coverage is fine. Yes, when the site is down its annoying but I can live with it. Next time I might give Meteor a whirl to see what it is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Meteor all the way, since changing over I've saved €20 a month. Their site gives the 300 free web texts like Vodafone do, but the site always works. I don't know how anyone stays on Vodafone, there service is good but way overpriced. Meteor have excellent coverage as well.

If you know other people on Meteor then you can save a bucket load on texts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I love meteor i save loads of money and i've never had a coverage problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

vodafone website seems to crash at the start of every month just so you cant use your free texts and end up having to pay for using your phone instead so def go for meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

meteor ftw

my girlfriend is also meteor so get to txt her for free which is super handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

I sent a picture msg last Sunday week from my Vodafone phone to 3 O2 numbers and each of them has recieved the picture about 20 times already and are still recieving the picture...CURSE VODAFONE....*rant over*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Moved to meteor about a year and a half ago and I'd never go back to Vodafone. When I was with them I spent 40/50 euro a month on credit. With Meteor I spend maybe 20/30 a month. No brainer really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

silas wrote:
    Meteor all the way, since changing over I've saved €20 a month. Their site gives the 300 free web texts like Vodafone do, but the site always works. I don't know how anyone stays on Vodafone, there service is good but way overpriced. Meteor have excellent coverage as well.

If you know other people on Meteor then you can save a bucket load on texts
    i didn't realise meteor gave you 300 free texts. that was the only thing keeping me with vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I was a Meteor customer for two years and found their coverage to be pretty poor.

I now use Three and am really happy with them. My average bill has dropped from €42 per month to €27. The freebies like Premiership/World Cup goals, news bulletins, comedy clips etc. are great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

just after moving from Meteor. a nightmare. network going down etc. etc.

only good if you go for pay as you go and know loads of people on Meteor too. for bill pay, forget about it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I'm on vodafone. Used meteor for a while a few years back and will never go back to them. Nothing (WAP, MMS, the free credit I was supposed to get from joining) fsckin' worked, despite spending several hours on the phone with their "technical" support. Changed back to vodafone and voila.. everything just worked first time..

Also the vodafone 6c texts thing is great (people never seem to know about this... you can prepay for 200 texts for €12 - text "text 200" to 50233). And they don't expire after a month or anything like that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

andrew163 wrote:
    Also the vodafone 6c texts thing is great (people never seem to know about this... you can prepay for 200 texts for €12 - text "text 200" to 50233). And they don't expire after a month or anything like that. :)

I've been using that along with the 8c texts and 5c texts ever since they've come out, they're handy, but I'd like to try the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

andrew, I'm guessing that you case in more the exception than the rule. I've never had any problems getting credit, with WAP or MMSs. They were poor a couple of years ago, but now, they are a major force, and they are after launching a great bill pay offer. I've had zero coverage issues (Limerick city, county, Tipperary, East Kerry and Galway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Using Meteor here in Galway since about 2000, excellent coverage apart from an initial few months but that was several years ago....never have any problems now, can't even fanthom why anybody would choose vodafone unless it was bill pay...an area which Meteor are really catching up on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

im on meteor and the credit does go a long way - especially compared to vodafone who are a complete rip off,

i have no issues with coverage or anything else, i was with meteor over a year ago on payg as well and it was brutal but they have improved dramatically over the past few months.

the only better offer at the mo is the 02 to 02 1c offer at weekends, but thats only up tilll the end of august, if they kept that forever id change in a heartbeat.

luke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

Vodafone have just announced double your top up - top up €20 and get €20 worth of calls or text to use on VF calls/text within 30 days - if you top up again the 30 days refresh so all the extra credit has another 30 days to be used.

Sounds like a good deal - also can use stop the clock

You need to register for both though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I moved from Vodafone about 3 years ago and i noticed a difference immediatly. Sure i've had my problems with Meteor but its nothing drastic. Anytime i've had an issue they've sorted it out. I'd never go back to Vodafone. I'd miss my free texts too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Meteor all the way! 300 free webtexts and most of my friends have switched over in the past few months so its free to text them.

I first joined them when they gave out those free phones in 2001 or 2002 to college students. Lousy network back then so soon went back to Vodafone.
    Ported back to Meteor 14 months ago and have saved loads.

I've had a free issues with Vodafone over the 5 years I was with them and they were extremly unhelpful at times.
    Meteor staff have been nothing but professional in my dealings with them.

Coverage was never an issue recently unless I go back home down the country.
    But then, you can't a Vodafone signal down home either.
    In our local pub, you have to stand outside to make a phone call. Maybe it's for the best.

Op, have you tried using this:
    http://www.callcosts.ie/mobile_phones/inner.asp?NCID=123

Advertisement