Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Fannings Haughey Rant

Options
  • 03-07-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

On Leo Enrights show yesterday afternoon. Great to hear it this bull about Haughey being great makes me want to puke.

People complain about Irish politicians and then bury their head in the sand when the truth comes out. We are illinformed and in denial ergo we have the government we deserve.

It is time to stop blaming politicians and blame ourselves for voting for the same gob****es each time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Is that what he said or is that what your saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Bouncer

Apologies should be clearer. This is my own rant on Irish politics in general. Dave Fanning was aimed at haughey personally, he described him as a horrible man

Dave Fanning's opinion on Haughey is about as useful/useless as anyone here. The man is a deejay, not a political analyist. Of course he is entitled to have an opinion, but I am entitled to laugh at it and tell him to get back playing The Smiths and reattaching his lips to Bono's ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Is this in archive somewhere? Wouldn't mind listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So did Haughey not do anything for this country then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can they just not let the man rest in peace now, whatever your opinions on the man surely they can be forgotten about now no need to drag out his death so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Cremo wrote:
    can they just not let the man rest in peace now, whatever your opinions on the man surely they can be forgotten about now no need to drag out his death so much.

Sorry to disagree but I think thats completely wrong. This man set the precedent for self-interested and greedy Irish politicians who abuse their power and pretty much gave the 2 fingers to their constituents. I think in death it is appropriate to remember a persons achievements and/or faults.

If we simply 'forget' about his scandals after his death what message does that send out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Sorry to disagree but I think thats completely wrong. This man set the precedent for self-interested and greedy Irish politicians who abuse their power and pretty much gave the 2 fingers to their constituents. I think in death it is appropriate to remember a persons achievements and/or faults.

If we simply 'forget' about his scandals after his death what message does that send out?

Ask any voter in Donneycarney about the two fingers and you will get an opinion very different to your own.

Haughey did make money but he was a very accomplished politician. Read the history. I would prefer to be comfortably off , as we are now thanks to CJH than be hard up following the incompetence and honesty (!!!) of the alternative.

It is a pity that the current Taoiseach lacks his predecessor's qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Haughey was not responsible for Ireland's succesful economic climate in the late nineties or now. Read this and educate yourself before voicing such crap please:

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/Articles/view.asp?CategoryID=-1&CategoryName=&ArticleID=368

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

David McWilliams makes my skin c c c crawl.

I think its because he has a nifty little self-styled, not-too-funky, lame buzzword for everything.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, tell ya what, post an economic deconstruction of his article and I'll listen to ya. If you just want to slag him, I'll continue to believe he's right and you're wrong.

He might be a smarmy get, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sleepy wrote:
    Read this and educate yourself

:D

But...but...it's David McWilliams. What next, learn sociology by tuning in to the Joe Duffy show?

As a matter of curiosity, why did Dave Fanning not give his opinion before Haughey died? I mean, he was hardly likely to be imprisoned for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

People who say, "He's dead now, leave him alone."

Do you apply that logic to murderers and rapists too...?

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Do you apply that logic to murderers and rapists too...?

Apart from all the murder and rape, he was also seen leaving Chernobyl with a box of matches and suspected of involvement in the deaths of at least 2 Popes and Mother Theresa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Apart from all the murder and rape, he was also seen leaving Chernobyl with a box of matches and suspected of involvement in the deaths of at least 2 Popes and Mother Theresa.

Idiot!! It was Sellafield not Chernobyl!!

:D

I don't believe it about Sellafield. Too near North Dublin and he always looked after himself...;)

Advertisement