Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cedega or Wine?

• 03-07-2006 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna build a Ubuntu box but I obviously want to be able to play my favourite games. UT2004 has a linux installation so that one's ok but WoW is the other one.

Does anyone here use Cedega or WINE and, if so, any problems and/or which would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

With cedega your less likely to need no-cd patches and I think more of the recent games work with it.

Wine is very close and I believe that the latest WOW (updated to 1.11.1 note the extra 1 at the end) is working.

Check the following two databases for the latest details on how well various apps work with them.

Wine app database
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

Cedega unofficial game database
    http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Personnally I think that wine asside from the lack of gui is looking like it will be better than cedega in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Plus the fact that WINE is free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Macros42 wrote:
    Plus the fact that WINE is free :)
    Free Wine? WHERE?!

Heh... sorry couldn't resist.

Yeah I'll erh... go to bed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

There are a few things to consider in choosing Cedega or WINE.
    Basically, Cedega is FOR gaming, WINE just allows gaming. There's also WineX IIRC, which is like Cedega, but free (assuming it wasn't replaced by Cedega), and if you're handy enough with a compiler, you can get Cedega CVS anyway, without paying.
    One more thing worth mentioning, is Ubuntu may not be the best distro for gaming, but that's up to you of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Zonko wrote:
    There's also WineX IIRC, which is like Cedega, but free (assuming it wasn't replaced by Cedega)

WineX wasn't free, and was Cedega before they changed their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Anyone got any ideas on how to get WINE to remove a Windows program on FC5, have tried the remove installed Windows program option to no avail.

MC

Advertisement