Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Sci-Fi space cap'n dude of all time....

Options
  • 03-07-2006 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

.....with all due respect to classic Trek's awesome inter-species leg over merchant Kirk I believe his crown may very well have been stolen by Firefly's Mal Reynolds....have spent the weekend immersed in the series and I've never encountered such a well drawn, multi faceted, complex character in a sci-fi series (Ok Ok Olmos' Adama in BG good too)...any advances on either of them?

What about the worst....Archer in Enterprise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Pfft Picard ftw

Just a very interesting character, and possibly the best actor Sci Fi has ever seen (well Edward Olmos comes very close).

Although Lando is also cool, he be representin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I second Mal from Firefly. Also, Sisko from DS9 and Sheridan from Babylon 5. Lochely from B5 was pretty good too, for the short time she was in it. She certainly beats Janeway!

Edit: How could I forget about Gideon from Crusade. One of the worst things about the series being cancelled is the loss of that character.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tossup between Angus Thermopyle or Joshua Calvert for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

bonkey wrote:
    Tossup between Angus Thermopyle or Joshua Calvert for me.

Ahh your delving into the written word as well...get no argument from me re: Calvert, absolutly brilliant creation...even if (for me) the third book one of the greatest dissapointments/let downs ever....what about Mallory in Zindell's Neverness...totally blew me away....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

toomevara wrote:
    Ahh your delving into the written word as well...get no argument from me re: Calvert, absolutly brilliant creation...even if (for me) the third book one of the greatest dissapointments/let downs ever....what about Mallory in Zindell's Neverness...totally blew me away....
    Hmm Calvert was good but yeah, I think Mallory wiSoli Ringess was better. Danlo was good too but maybe a bit too peace-loving for ultimate captain material?

Angus Thermopyle (Thermo-pile..) was a great captain all right, although not the coolest character in that series IMO (step up Warden Dios... not a captain admittedly).

There's a few decent captains in Alstair Reynold's Inhibitor books that should be mentioned - particularly in the psychotic league we get in "Chasm City".

On the television front - Sheridan and Adama (the latter, in particular, for having some guts to stand up to the PC liberalism of the civilians - doing what needs to be done).

• Advertisement

Oh! Damn! How could I forget....

Han Solo FTW!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sheridan from b5 for me..

'get the hell out of our galaxy!'

still get goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Picard all the way baby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Im a sinclair man myself, thought he was far better than sheridan

as much as i like odamo, i prefer tighe, he is a much deeper, troubled commander

but come on, pike has to be the best, i have yet to see someone say more with one beep

madrab wrote:
    Im a sinclair man myself, thought he was far better than sheridan

Huh? Old plank o' wood Sinclair??? Nah.

Besides, best captain out of B5 was Delenn.

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

You tell 'em bone-head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Mal Reynolds or Morpheus for me...

ixoy wrote:

Angus Thermopyle (Thermo-pile..) was a great captain all right, although not the coolest character in that series IMO (step up Warden Dios... not a captain admittedly.

To my eternal shame, haven't read Donaldson's Sci Fi. Fantasy novels yep, but following reading this thread gonna get down with the whole Gap series...has been recommended to me so many times over the past few years....Incidentally and I know I'm getting off topic a little here but what the hell, can anyone recommend any good fantasy novels with genuinely complex themes/characters...no roaming in the gloaming elves and hobbits type stuff thanks.....or Tom Bomabadil(urghh!) type idiocy!!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Would Flash Gordon be considered a cap'n? If not then Picard of course. *waves finger* make it so.

toomevara wrote:
    can anyone recommend any good fantasy novels with genuinely complex themes/characters...no roaming in the gloaming elves and hobbits type stuff thanks.....or Tom Bomabadil(urghh!) type idiocy!!....

Steven Erikson's Malazan (Books of the Fallen) series.

bonkey wrote:
    Steven Erikson's Malazan (Books of the Fallen) series.

Ta bonkey, much appreciated will give em a lash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 niksar

Captain Harlock anyone? Space pirates ftw :)

toomevara wrote:
    To my eternal shame, haven't read Donaldson's Sci Fi. Fantasy novels yep, but following reading this thread gonna get down with the whole Gap series...has been recommended to me so many times over the past few years....Incidentally and I know I'm getting off topic a little here but what the hell, can anyone recommend any good fantasy novels with genuinely complex themes/characters...no roaming in the gloaming elves and hobbits type stuff thanks.....or Tom Bomabadil(urghh!) type idiocy!!....
    yeah the gap is a quality sci-fi series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Crichton, there just hasnt been a nut job like him since.

Sisko, Mal Reynolds and Adama were also all excellent captains.

Sky were showing the series finale of Enterprise today and, Bloody Archer, what a two dimensional slab!! All the subtlety of a mannequin in a shop window. Now, I trealise the writing for Enterprise was appaling and there probaby wasnt much for Mr. Quantum Leap to work with, but i was moved to turn it off...a series finale ferchrissakes!! It was worse than a Neelix based Voyager episode or horror of horrors a Troi's Ma episode of Next Gen..

toomevara wrote:
    It was worse than a Neelix based Voyager episode or horror of horrors a Troi's Ma episode of Next Gen..

Oooh. Neelix and Troi's Ma...commanding a space-ship.

Anyway...another name to throw into the mix...

Avon.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    Oooh. Neelix and Troi's Ma...commanding a space-ship.

Anyway...another name to throw into the mix...

Avon.

Avon? You got me there, it's not Space 1999 is it?

Close.

Blake's 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the old dude from seaquest dsv! :)

must remember to catch the marathon on tv here saturday

bonkey wrote:
    Close.

Blake's 7

Doh, of course....Blakes 7....now there was a series finale!

ahh seaquest, that was a wierd mix on science & fiction
    i always felt wierd when that guy from the woodshall oceanagraphic institute(sp) would tell you the reason behind each episode

& then in the 3rd season(?) when they all went into the future & it tried to get even more sci-fi wierd but entertaining show escept for that bloody dolphin

madrab wrote:
    ahh seaquest, that was a wierd mix on science & fiction
    i always felt wierd when that guy from the woodshall oceanagraphic institute(sp) would tell you the reason behind each episode

& then in the 3rd season(?) when they all went into the future & it tried to get even more sci-fi wierd but entertaining show escept for that bloody dolphin

Seaquest was completely hatstand in every way, could never get past the damned dolphin, laughable really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mal from Firefly and Adama from BSG.

That is all...

Oh yeah, captain Corny Butt from Galaxina.....great captain. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Jean Luc Picard or Mal from Firefly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

jean luc picard engage.

If he got more stories and air time the romulan commander tamalock would be in with a shout, the dirty devious cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Capt. Zap Brannigan

"What makes a good man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"

No contest

Advertisement