Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email addresses

Options
  • 03-07-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im setting up a site that requires you to submit your email address when registering an account. I'm thinking that it might be better if i dont ask for an email address at all because i know how alot of people dont like giving out their address.

When users register an account they will be able to post messages on the site. Should i have their email address for legal reasons or would it be sufficient to just log their IP address whenever they post something?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

eh? people always submit an email address to get forum accounts - hell you did to register for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Get the email address and ensire that it is verified before they can post

If you don't do this you will get spammed to death...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Do i have to have their email address for legal reasons or could i just set it up that i dont need their address at all? Why is it necessary to have a users email address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

So

a) you can verify a users account
    b) contact them re: important updates (not every single user reads stickies)
    c) sort out issues between users (if you do private messaging, how are they going to know if they have messages, unless they log in)

There are a few more points, but I am just too damn lazy today

Advertisement