Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Israeli/Palestinian Parliament

Options
  • 03-07-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

It just seems to me if there was more communication between Israeli and Palestinian parlementarians on a regular basis, then there wouldn't be half the strife.

Misunderstanding and stand-offs are the primary reason for a lot of the problems in the region as was the problem in Europe before the rise of the European Union.

I think there should be some sort of European Union in the middle east, but would the Israeli's agree to sit in, and would the arabs have them is another thing.

However, if there was a common Israeli/Palestinian parliament such as the EU parliament that sat forthnightly or monthly and discussed issues and how to forward the peace process and goodwill between the people, then there wouldn't be such mistrust, suspicion, wariness, stand-offs and lack of communication, which in turn leads to pre-emptive strikes or revenge attacks.

I think also the nature of Palestinian and Israeli politics is that if you want to get elected to government you play up the lack of security and effectiveness of the opposition and how you will deal more strongly with the Palestinians or Israelis. This caused the recent upsurge because of Sharon, and now the new prime minister is trying the same. Politicians in both states exploit people's fears to gain power and this is irresponsible and the electorates should recognise this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

you reckon even if they were the occasionaly fist fight it would still be worth it?

it would have to big enough for Israel to fly in its apache helicopters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I think there is an Arab Union or something like it....Israel is not a member, even though a substancial minority of their population are Arabs.

Remember though it took almost the total destruction of WW2 and threat of nuclear War to knock some sense into European leaders to create the EU...so that a War between the memberstates would be IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Even though Palestine is in ruins it would take similar destruction of Israel to create such a single reality for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

zuma wrote:
    I think there is an Arab Union or something like it....Israel is not a member, even though a substancial minority of their population are Arabs.
    There is - the Arab League. They wouldn't be asked and if they were they wouldn't join. Having said that it'd be nice if they were invited to join and considered joining the Organization of the Islamic Conference as an observer. Russia has. Mutual hatred will presumably keep that from happening though.

Incidentally the Arab League was set up twelve years before the EEC came into being, though as a political rather than economic entity it's always been more like the Council of Europe, which it also predates. It even predates hating Israel as an entity, though oddly enough for a political entity its earliest agreed decisions were economic ones regarding boycotting Jewish businesses (which was decided to be A Good Thing).

Advertisement