Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac SE > PC mod, advice please

Options
  • 03-07-2006 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Hi guys 'n gals :)

I've recently been gifted a Mac SE, and I'm contemplating a PC 'retrofit' / 'shoe-horning' mod (Wintel into the Mac SE shell).

I'd be looking at setting up a "semi-portable" PC, really, to use as a 'media dispenser'. So no need for a P4 or AMD64 or whatnot, a mini ITX mobo with a mid-to-high PIII or 'big' Celeron (1Ghz) with onboard shared gfx etc. will do.

I've Googled the odd blog or site about such a mod, but none are particularly well detailed etc. (not that I couldn't go about it on my own back, I'm reasonably handy + knowledgeable about building a PC etc., but I'm generally very short on 'free time'), so I wouldn't mind getting some feedback as to what components / configs / etc. you modder lot think will do / should be considered.

What I'm contemplating using the 'thing' for:
    * DiVX, Xvid, Mpeg playback
    * MP3 playback
    * Photo archiving + slideshow
    * MAME + maybe some games up to 'Sims'-level gfx requirements

What features I'd like to put in:
    * WiFi
    * at least one optical drive
    * built-in speakers (2)
    * touchscreen TFT
    * USB 2

'bit of a long shot I know, but... the goodwill is there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mini-ITX.com has projects & a shop; check there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Above is really the only place you need to look when it comes to Mini Itx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Oookayeee...

So far, planned innards are looking something like -

* VIA EPIA ME6000 mini-itx mobo
    * 256 or 512 PC2100 RAM
    * 12V DC-DC PSU interface + 110/240-12V lappy brick
    * some generic HK 8" TFT with 12V input + VGA in
    * PCI Radeon 7000 (32MB, VGA + DVI + TV-out edition)
    * IDE Pioneer slot-loading 8x DVD

Not yet decided whether to go HDD (got an unused 3.5 " 80GB PATA knocking about) or go 'solid state' with a CF-based boot/OS.

As for the case mod, not quite decided yet either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I've only read terrible things about the performance of VIA EPIA mobo/cpu combos. Things like being too slow to decode a high quality DivX file with surround sound.

If I was going for mini I might look into that new 6150 chipset based ITX Socket 939 board. Or else one of those nice small Pentium M boards. Either way I wouldn't want to be stuck with the performance of a Pentium 3 500mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I've only read terrible things about the performance of VIA EPIA mobo/cpu combos. Things like being too slow to decode a high quality DivX file with surround sound.

well he is only using it for playback, and i'm guessing it is a secondary computer. Hes probably going to set up a wifi lan and encode on one computer then playback on the other. But I would maybe go for a cheap mini ATX, you can get some pretty small cases for those. Have a look at the ones in maplin, the PSU is on the side so that its only the height of the mobo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

why not buy a 9" colour CRT off ebay, and a 2nd hand Mac Mini and fit it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Because it's been done :p

... ok, he didn't put in a colour CRT. So sue me!

I suppose if the OP gets a CoreSolo/Duo Mac mini & fit that in, then install WinXP w/BootCamp or whatever; and replace the screen with a touchscreen...

Advertisement