Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6800 Gt/ 6800 Gs

Options
  • 03-07-2006 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Where the hell have all of the 6800 GT's gone ???? I was looking at different online retailers and none of them are selling 6800 gt's anymore. Wth the advent of me finally getting a mobo with an agp slot on it i was going to try and get a GT, but it appears they no longer make them.

This means i will have to try and get a different card .It seems to me that the 6800 gs is the only comparible card based on price and performance. And is the card i will most likely have to go for. Which is the better card anyway the GS or the GT?? because if the GT overclocks better or something along those lines I may try and find one second hand.

all info is much appreciated.

cheers
    chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 6800GS is the replacement for the 6800GT, the GS was cheaper to manufacturer and retained the same performance which is why production of the 6800GT was stopped.

As for AGP cards your choice is now fairly limited but if your planning to fork out around €240 for a 6800GS then you may as well and pay small bit more and get a 7800GS for €286 it wont be majorly faster than the 6800GS but should do better with certain games anyway. You should be able to over clock it a fair bit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is this based on the athlon XP system you got?

A 7800GS would definately be wayyyy overkill for that, as might even a 6800, why not pick up a 6600gt or something for about 90 euro new instead?

That is of course if we are talking about the Athlon XP....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, they are expecting 6800XT's for €165...
    Hmm, makes me wonder how X1600Pro's would fare against 6-series cards.

What's the rest of the spec christophicus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah that is for the Athlon XP system. K.O.Kiki I wont know the exact spec of the system for another week or two but when I do I will certainly let you guys know.

Havok, Yeah i know it might be overkill But i think its really the minimum I would need to play The latest games at a fairly good resolution, Considering what a bottleneck the CPU is going to be a lesser card will not preform well enough.

I read a review of an AGP x1600, I cant remember if it was a pro or not ,but they were absolutly slating the card saying it was utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah that is for the Athlon XP system. K.O.Kiki I wont know the exact spec of the system for another week or two but when I do I will certainly let you guys know.

Havok, Yeah i know it might be overkill But i think its really the minimum I would need to play The latest games at a fairly good resolution, Considering what a bottleneck the CPU is going to be a lesser card will not preform well enough.

I read a review of an AGP x1600, I cant remember if it was a pro or not ,but they were absolutly slating the card saying it was utter ****e.

Chris you could get something like my Rig2 and wont cost you to much. My chip now cost 85euros on komplett and my motherboard costs 81euros from dabs i think it was. My board takes both PCI-E and AGP cards then all u would need is your PSU, HD, Video Card case and ram and other little bits. You might be able to take some parts out of your computer your using now to save on cost.

What im saying is that my motherboard and cpu cost very little and overclocks to 2.4ghz.

The video card what im using is something your looking at its good. But there is problems with it going to have to flash the bios on it i thinks but have to contact Point Of View to c if they can sort it for me. There are lots of other people with the same card that have the same problem it might have been the first batch of cards as mine was one of them.

• Advertisement

Yeah i would do that ,but the thing is, I have a grand total of €20 the the moment,but one of my friends is going to be giving me an Athlon xp system, As far as i remember it is only a 2000/2200 xp there is only about a 40 GB Hdd and 256mb of ram. I am fairly shure it has a geforce 4 in it aswell. Basically i waas going to put a gig of PC 3200 in it, add a 80 gig harddrive and eventually get another GPU for for it.

Just as a matter of interest does your 1st rig run BF 2 properly??

Battlefield 2 won't run on any of the Geforce cards due to lack of support for SM. Well, thats a lie - it CAN run, but only with a patch that butchers the game so badly it really isn't worth it. (i.e some invisible vehicles, corrupted textures, missing textures, etc....)
    As far as i remember it is only a 2000/2200 xp there is only about a 40 GB Hdd and 256mb of ram.

If I were you I'd up the ram to a gig and maybe throw in something like a 9600XT/6600/9700Pro, for which you're looking at about 60 euro second hand.

A 6800 would be wasted on a 2200 system IMO. The X1600 is a good card, in fact, probably even wasted again on a 2200+. Its more or less the equivilent of an X800 card.

I would definately say go for a cheap second hand card in the 50-60 euro bracket, but just make sure not to get something that'll be wasted.

What games do you plan playing? A 2200+ will still run new games, but won't give anyway great performance on newer titles.....no point wasting money on the other parts.

As a comparison, my girlfriend runs BF2 on a 2800+, 768MB ram, 9600XT, and it runs on 1024x768 with options on medium no problems. It handles Doom III and Half Life 2 very well also. So even with the 2200, you should be able to run semi-new games like these on playable, medium settings.

Although it would make a nice difference if it was a 2200 and not a 2000 you were getting. :)

Just as a matter of interest does your 1st rig run BF 2 properly??

Well i would need to put my good video card back into rig1 and then the game would run perfect. Detail would be set to high and i would have res at 1280 * 1024 but then again i do overclock my system to get the most out of it.

I think if i was u i get the system as its free ? Then put it up to a gig like the poster above said. Then look at getting the best video card u can afford. If u can get a video card worth 250 then do so but if skint there are lots of cards out there that wont cost much second hand. Also i would think of overclocking your machine.

Heres a link to a b-grade http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=317081.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wacked

If you've got your heart set on a 6800gt I will sell you mine. I'm thinking of upgraing to a 7900gt or gtx. Its 6 months old. I'll give it to you for €180 if you can collect in Dublin.

Ok cool thanks HavoK. The only two games that I really want to be able to play are CS source And Battlefield 2

yeah Bad Charlie I will be getting the system for free, Im definalty going to take it off of him anyway.

Yeah thats basicaly what i was going to do, Put a gig in, maybe even two if it will handle that much and then get the best GPU that i can,aswell as adding another harddrive. And yeah i will try my hand at overclocking the system aswell to get as much preformance out of it as i can ,But i will start another thread in the tweeking/modding section about that when i know the exact specs, Lol i dont even know if the agp slot is AGPx4 or x8.lol.

What speed have you been able to get out of your athlon xp 2500?? Ive heard of people getting 2.4/2.5 ghz out of it nut i dont know if that was with water or even phase change cooling or just air a very good HSF.

Wacked, Im sorry I dont have that kind of money at the moment.

• Advertisement

I can probably source you a free AGP 128MB Ati 9200 SE model if you want, it should run CS:S fine, but it doesn't run BF2....its great for the oldish games like UT2k4, BF Vietnam etc....

I got 2.5ghz all right from my chip but i had to use a very noise cooler for that. So mostly i would leave it at 2.4ghz. And then at the end i had to clock it back to 2.2ghz as it was getting unstable and now i have it running at 2.1 :P. Seems to be getting slower and slower in its old age. Dont mind as i just use it now as a server computer.

Hey havok,Yeah that would be great if you could get that card for me,thanks.

Hhhmmm thats interesting BadCharlie, is the mobo you have for it a good overclocking mobo?? I wouldnt say the mobo i will be getting is, and as far as i remember at one stage the pc was left in the sun and wouldnt work. Im still not sure if i will be able to get it running. Fingers crossed i will be.

I will check over the weekend, I'm 99% positive my girlfriend has a spare one, will let you know on Saturday or so when I'm over at her place and I will ask her.

Good luck with the new computer :D

Yeah my board at the time was one of the better boards for overclocking. Well i think if u get your machine working and u even get a small overclock then you be fine. Its better then having it at its bog standard.

Cheers Havok. Thank your girlfriend too for me .

Yeah im going to try to get the highest overclock i can out of it. even if it isnt a high overclock its still good practse for things to come.( i havent been able to overclock this system as its a dell).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I'm selling a geforce 6800 at the mo..here are the specs
    (Scroll to bottom of screen)
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_6800.html

you may be able to use it ,let me know.

They appear to be the specs for a 6800ultra,not a vanilla 6800.

So havok did you girlfriend have a spare card laying around??

Ok so i got teh pc home and it is far far worse then i was expexting. It has the following specs

AMD duron 750 mhz
    256mb ram (SD ram!!!!!)
    40 gig harddrive
    msi motherboard with intrated sound
    and a geforce 4 440 mx AGPx8

At least it has an AGP slot but it is only AGPx4.

In other words, it's basically your current PC with less RAM & a Geforce 4...

Basically yes, there is no great difference. 10 gigs more+ a geforce 4mx, but 50mhz slower and 64Mb less ram. But all importantly it has an AGP slot ,even if it is only AGPx4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

They appear to be the specs for a 6800ultra,not a vanilla 6800.

So havok did you girlfriend have a spare card laying around??

Ok so i got teh pc home and it is far far worse then i was expexting. It has the following specs

AMD duron 750 mhz
    256mb ram (SD ram!!!!!)
    40 gig harddrive
    msi motherboard with intrated sound
    and a geforce 4 440 mx AGPx8

At least it has an AGP slot but it is only AGPx4.

Yeah sorry mate.Couldnt get the specs for the vanilla one.not available at the time.plus my card is a PCI-E not an AGP so i dont think it matters anywho...hope you find the card your looking for (i got a 7800 gtx..****ing magic!)

Word!

Basically yes, there is no great difference. 10 gigs more+ a geforce 4mx, but 50mhz slower and 64Mb less ram. But all importantly it has an AGP slot ,even if it is only AGPx4.

agp4 or agp8 it dont matter Chris. What does matter is the processor is 2 slow. Putting in a good video card wont make it much better im sorry to say :(.

A. It doesnt matter anymore. The PSU blew today and it quite possibly could have taken out some other components,although id love to get my hands on another PSU to see if that is the only thing broken in the system.

A. It doesnt matter anymore. The PSU blew today and it quite possibly could have taken out some other components,although id love to get my hands on another PSU to see if that is the only thing broken in the system.

I had a crap PSU blow on me one time and i was lucky it did not take anything out. Had one spare PSU a few weeks back but gave it away to another guy whos PSU was not working. Maybe someone else in waterford might be able to help you out.

I can't seem to find the 9200....sorry!

Also, isn't the amd duron like the celeron equivilent from back in the day? In which case it would be pretty vastly inferior to the P3. Your best best is still to go for a decent PCI card for your 800mhz machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I have the solution to all your problems - get a job.

Even if you worked for two weeks you'd have enough money for a decent system. When I finish work in August I'm building a Conroe rig with gigaquads and terawhatsits and such.

TomCo wrote:

Even if you worked for two weeks you'd have enough money for a decent system. When I finish work in August I'm building a Conroe rig with gigaquads and terawhatsits and such.
    Blunt but true :D
    Of course, summer's almost over, so best get hopping!

I didn't, and now I don't have a Macbook.
    Not that I mind; I'm waiting for the Merom Macbooks ;)

TomCo wrote:

You have no idea how much i have tried . I tried for more then a month before i was off for the summer ,and i wasnt ,and still have not been able to get a job. It is so frustrating.:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Yeah, I had to work some **** bar job one summer just to get something to put on a CV. Then I got work as a tutor in college for two years, now I work in ESB.

You have to start low, real low, cleaning toilets low. :D

• Advertisement

Time to give up on that system anyway. Your P3 with a decent pci card would still have outperformed that duron with a decent agp card anyway....so not a huge loss, although the loss of a working computer is sometimes annoying :)

Advertisement