Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some CAO offer questions.

Options
  • 03-07-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I'm not really too sure as to how the whole offer thing works. When I check online after getting my results, will I only get an offer for the first course I got into, or if I have the points for say 6 of my CAO choices, will there be an option to accept any of the courses?

If not, say I decline my #1 having decided I want to do my #2 instead. Will I have to wait until the 2nd round offers, or will it automatically offer my my #2 after not accepting my #1? If I have to wait, is there much chance that the course will be full by round 2? Basically, is it a risk to wait until the 2nd round to accept a course even if I have the points for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you have to accept your top course.

so you get 500 points and have 550 as your top choice and 490 as 2nd choice, you're stuck with the 490 choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

you will be offered 2 courses: a level 6/7 and a level 8
    the courses your offered will be the courses highest in your preference that you meet requirements for (points, matric, pass maths, irish etc.)

you can only accept one of these 2 offers.
    you will not be made any other offers.
    If you dont get your 1st choice, you may be offered it in 2nd round because people who were offered it deferred, didnt accept etc and as a result points come down making you eligible for that course.
    If you already accepted your 2nd choice (for example) and get offered your 1st choice in 2nd round then you can switch courses.

also, the offers dont come the same time as results.
    they come 5 days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I often wondered the same thing. I'm not sure that I want to do my first choice of course 100% anymore but I think I will be taking it as it is a course that does interest me. I've engineering down in Trinity as my number two. I was wondering if I changed my mind to wait until the second round would I still get offered this course. Also after you accept a course do you get any more offers? Seems a bit stupid but you never know. I never exactly read the CAO handbook. Threw it in the bin. Have not got time to be reading books about the boring system in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

NADA wrote:
    I never exactly read the CAO handbook. Threw it in the bin. Have not got time to be reading books about the boring system in Ireland.

Well you should have read it, if you did, you would have saved yourself the shock your gonna get come August! That Drogheda people aren't allowed into third level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Well you should have read it, if you did, you would have saved yourself the shock your gonna get come August! That Drogheda people aren't allowed into third level education.

ha, can you imagine. that would be so cruel.

we'd all end up doing a hairdressing course in the college of further education.

(please note theres nothing wrong with doing that, just cant imagine the whole town's population doing it.. :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭lau1247

NADA wrote:
    I often wondered the same thing. I'm not sure that I want to do my first choice of course 100% anymore but I think I will be taking it as it is a course that does interest me. I've engineering down in Trinity as my number two. I was wondering if I changed my mind to wait until the second round would I still get offered this course. Also after you accept a course do you get any more offers? Seems a bit stupid but you never know. I never exactly read the CAO handbook. Threw it in the bin. Have not got time to be reading books about the boring system in Ireland.

Yep sounds like you're screwed.. nah just kidding..
    I think you can still change your choice on CAO's site..
    Check it out.. it's under "View/Change Application"

what kind of engineering have you got down for trinity anyway?
    Alternative method if you can't change it, will you consider DCU??
    Bcoz as far as I know for the past two years dcu have few types of engineering course that is Vacant.. even after the rounds of offers.. so that could be your last resort..

Hope it helps

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I heard this too but I just it was just Dundalk ppl slaggin ppl from Drogheda :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I probably wouldn't be changing course anyway. Just a consideration. And Grumpy. We all know that you pretend to be a proud dub but secretly wish you were born in Drogheda.

'mon the Lourdes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Rockerette is from Drawda

We're taking this place over:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Garret wrote:

But I think she will get into college seein that she went 2 school in Dundalk :D

aah but eamoss, my loyalties lie here by the Boyne ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

no there allowed in to college...DKIT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

on a sidenote, the cao website is woeful imo.

really poor layout. poor design, poor use of colour.....

in comparson to examinations.ie it's like a homemade job from the late 90's. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

smemon wrote:
    on a sidenote, the cao website is woeful imo.

really poor layout. poor design, poor use of colour.....

in comparson to examinations.ie it's like a homemade job from the late 90's. :cool:
    Very true. And I have to say that the online application system is a bit dodgy too, compared with UCAS for example. It just doesn't feel as secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Garret wrote:

Dear god :eek:

Advertisement