Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation foam?

Options
  • 03-07-2006 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as insulation foam? Basically need something to put around a door frame to stop noise coming through from an adjoining room, but have to be able to remove it at a later date if necessary (office).

Any ideas??? have had enough of trawling through the internet trying to find something cos dont really have a bog what i'm looking for...

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

You can get a sticky backed strip of foam to put round the rebate of a door frame that is designed to stop drafts, it may work to reduce the sound as well.

.exitex.

Page 26 of their online brochure

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Just go into any builders provoiders and ask them for a can of liquid polyeurethene foam.
    Wet the wall and the window frame with a spray of water then screw the nozzle on the can and foam around the window.
    Let the foam dry for a few hours then cut off the excess foam with a knife.
    We always plaster the dry foam with floor tile adhesive because it is very strong, sticks well and dries quickly.
    We then plaster over the tile adhesive with a thin layer of the white plaster that comes in a bucket used for taping and jointing.
    This also dries quickly so you can get all three jobs done in the same day.
    Give the plaster a rub of sandpaper after an hour and you can paint the wall before you go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Viking House - babyguinnessfan needs to be able to remove the foam at a later date. He/she'd have a helluva job hacking out the expandy-foam.

As foamcutter says - a self-adhesive draught-excluder would be the best option for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Just read the posts - thanks for the advice - think will have to go with the draught excluder adhesive foam. Sounds like it's what i'm looking for alright. It's for my bosses office and you'd swear I'd put down building construction in my CV with some of the things I'm asked to come up with!!!

Am keeping Viking House's instructions tho - sounds like a brilliant job, just too permanent for what I'm looking for at the mo.

Thanks again:)

Advertisement