Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a Beagle!

Options
  • 03-07-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my first dog. I've been looking on the net and researching about differend breeds. The beagle is one dog that appeals to me in the looks department. I know that you can't go by that along as that would be unresponsible.
    I would appreciate any info regarding the beagle's temperment etc.
    Also is it necessary to have them in a well fensed yard? My yard is'nt fensed as its quite big.
    I don't want a big dog. I'm not to well up on the different breeds of dogs available. There will be a small child around the house as well, so a family pet dog would also be more suitable.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Also is it necessary to have them in a well fensed yard?

Yes, it is ...that would need to be sorted, preferably before you get a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There are different sizes of beagles... 14" 10" and 8" I think...measurements from the shoulder... so just be aware of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

my friend's beagle behaves well and having it seems to work well even if she's got a 9mo. old daughter..a beagle is a good choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well beagles are hunting dogs aren't they? They have lots of energy and love to bark. :) If they are bored they will dig in the garden and things like that but are rarely agressive. They are a bit stubborn to train I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

obviously i would suggest going to the local resuce centre or pound and see if there is a suitable dog there, but if you have your heart set on a PB i would suggest a cavalier king charles spanial, great dogs to have with kids as i have never ment one with a bad temperment ever and they are alwasy happy and wagging their undocked tails!!, they can have problems with anal glands and their eyes amoung other things in later life, but unfortunaly this is true of all PB, but if you get him/her insured for the start you can treat the dog to the best care and get money back.... but but please consider the rescue dog part as there is an abundance or dogs looking for homes and there is nothing worng with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

My husband is dying to get a beagle but Im not so sure for the following reasons

They need a well fenced yard as they are hunting dogs and follow a scent so if they get an interesting one they will be off and no amount of calling will get them back.

Again bec of the hunting scent thing you cant let them off the lead unless youre in a well fenced or walled area - I like dogs to be off the lead for a bit on each walk but thats just me!

They dont really bark when left alone but they do bay which is a pretty loud howl and could annoy the neighbours. They like a lot of attention and excercise so its not a case of a walk a day its a few walks a day and long weekend ones.

They are very expensive and expensive dogs get stolen.

In saying this they are a lovely dog, great family pet once you have the energy for them and very good with kids. Were looking for a family dog also but Im more inclined towards big dogs, Ive had a cavilier and they are lovely dogs main prob is road sense so youd need to get your fence sorted and sorted well - good escape artists!

If its just a family dog youre after and not a show dog then a mongrel pup is a good way to go rather than shelling out money for a pedigree - imo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

For what it's worth one of mine if part Beagle and beleive me the others are right about following scents - she will get obsessed with a smell it and will NOT come back till she is ready.
    She can whine for Ireland too - If she is anything to go by she is very clingy and will follow me everywhere - really really hates to be left alone and will howl like a wolf when she is - not always but I can hear her from the shops across the road sometimes.

There is a pure bred beagle in our agility class and wonderful as he is - I have to say I couldn't match his sheer vivacity and energy - please think about a beagle as more than just a " pet " they really need stimulation and enjoy activities such as agility and scent trails etc very very much
    They love to run run run and really do need a lot of exercise off lead.
    And stubborn is inbuilt in mine anyway - or could that be the terrier bit in her - that said she is a wonderful little dog - happy and sweet as anything - Perhaps mix like mine from a puppy would suit you.

Advertisement