Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Smart win their case this week.

Options
  • 03-07-2006 4:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

If Comreg lose and Smart keep their licence there are 'rumours' that Eircom may trial this Alcatel Wimax (mobile) 802.16e Technology in order to protect some key spectrum they squat at 2.3Ghz and to have a Mobile data punt . It seems Voda (in particular) have rattled them :D

If Smart lose Comreg will hand the licence to Eircom rather than put it to tender again and eircom still get to squat the 2.3Ghz spectrum :(

Court this week.

Ecap dead in the water now, no new cases started in a year. What a bloody waste :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If Comreg lose and Smart keep their licence there are 'rumours' that Eircom may trial this Alcatel Wimax (mobile) 802.16e Technology in order to protect some key spectrum they squat at 2.3Ghz and to have a Mobile data punt . It seems Voda (in particular) have rattled them :D

If Smart lose Comreg will hand the licence to Eircom rather than put it to tender again and eircom still get to squat the 2.3Ghz spectrum :(

Court this week.

Ecap dead in the water now, no new cases started in a year. What a bloody waste :(

Oh i can hear it now .......Trials in Dublin and roll out to Cork Limerick Galway Waterford in the near future.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

whats paddypower giving??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Altreab wrote:
    Oh i can hear it now .......Trials in Dublin and roll out to Cork Limerick Galway Waterford in the near future.. :mad:
    isnt it the same with everything
    starts with dublin soon after goes to cork and limerick and soon after that galway and waterford

eircom have comreg wrapped around their little finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭leoc

Hmm ...
    This illustrates Alcatel's commitment to WiMAX as a key element of its universal broadband access strategy. Alcatel's Evolium WiMAX solution natively supports fixed, nomadic and mobile usage. Moreover, this cost-efficient, high-performance solution will help operators address end-user expectations across diverse geographies and market profiles. In the developing world, the solution will help meet the growing need for affordable VoIP-based telephony, high-speed Internet access and community services, especially in areas where no fixed broadband network exists. In more advanced markets, Alcatel's mobile WiMAX solution also promises to complement fixed and mobile networks, enabling operators to extend their service reach for broadband applications such as mobile Internet, video, gaming, and mobile office.

(Emphasis mine.)

VoIP on mobiles? Oh bedad. How far will Eircom go to keep this particular cat in the bag? Will they block ports like Vodafone? Cunningly "shape" their traffic? Just rely on a half-arsed and brutally slow rollout? Maybe they will decide that the small print of their fixed-wireless license doesn't allow the service to undercu^H^H^H^H^H^Hcompete for mobile wireless business, so sorry.

So what service-level obligations are our fixed-wireless licensees under? Is there anything in their licenses to stop them blocking ports and so on ad lib? Conversely, are the (notionally) fixed wireless services allowed to compete with the GSM and 3g services in the mobile wireless market?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

leoc wrote:
    Conversely, are the (notionally) fixed wireless services allowed to compete with the GSM and 3g services in the mobile wireless market?

Yes under the category 'nomadic'. As long as there is no smooth handover from cell to cell on the move they are nomadic , fixed in different discrete locations as it were. This would be Ripwave and Clearwire currently although Ripwave is dial up substitue not FWA owing to bandwidth restrictions.

The 2.3Ghz spectrum is ONLY supposed to be used in Rural Areas for filling in gaps where copper will not go or should not go (scenery) or is too expensive to deploy.

It is currently not allocated in Ireland for any urban services .Essentially it is availabvle for licencing unless deemed to be licenced already ...which would be interesting !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:

Court this week.

I thought it was 3.5Ghz specky trum they had? they have 2.3Ghz too?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

crawler wrote:
    I thought it was 3.5Ghz specky trum they had? they have 2.3Ghz too?

it's for Rurtel which is supposed to only be used in remote areas with no copper (so why is half of Islandeady on Rurtel?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Excuse my ignorance but what about the current Smart customers if they loose their licence, what effect will it have on them ?

Also when will we find out the verdict of the case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

K-TRIC wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance but what about the current Smart customers if they loose their licence, what effect will it have on them ?
    As the license in question is a license for a 3G mobile network, and Smart doesn't currenty have any 3G customers, the loss of the license won't have any direct impact on Smarts other customers.

(Whether the financial impact has any further repercussions is a different question).

K-TRIC wrote:

Also when will we find out the verdict of the case ?

Case is tomorrow at 11:00 in the High Court (court 13) - Mr Justice Kelly - Full hearing, 4 days.

http://www.courts.ie/80256FFF005DDD92/0/72557A3A670C89EC802571A20043F40D?Open

• Advertisement

bminish wrote:
    it's for Rurtel which is supposed to only be used in remote areas with no copper (so why is half of Islandeady on Rurtel?)

Interesting bit of spectrum.......(strokes chin thoughtfully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

leoc wrote:
    Hmm ...

(Emphasis mine.)

VoIP on mobiles? Oh bedad. How far will Eircom go to keep this particular cat in the bag? Will they block ports like Vodafone? Cunningly "shape" their traffic? Just rely on a half-arsed and brutally slow rollout? Maybe they will decide that the small print of their fixed-wireless license doesn't allow the service to undercu^H^H^H^H^H^Hcompete for mobile wireless business, so sorry.

So what service-level obligations are our fixed-wireless licensees under? Is there anything in their licenses to stop them blocking ports and so on ad lib? Conversely, are the (notionally) fixed wireless services allowed to compete with the GSM and 3g services in the mobile wireless market?

Yes, VOIP on mobiles is a hugely distruptive technology.

You'll find though that at the moment, none of the big telecomms network equipment providers are planning to integrate VOIP solutions with the 3G/GSM network (at least publicly) - if they even hinted at such a move, they'd be dropped in a flash by Vodafone, Hutchinson, Cingular, T-mobile et. al.

Currently, smooth handover between 3G networks and VOIP is impossible by virtue of the network architecture currently deployed. For example, the handover technology between GSM and 3G networks is slick - all it would take would be to make minor alterations to the radio network controllers to facilitate 3G to VOIP handover. Can't see it happening soon though cos of politics.

The operators (Voda, o2, meteor, 3) are the ones who currently dictate to the network equipment providers (Nokia-Siemens, Nortel, Ericsson, etc.) as to what features to implement in their hardware.

I'd say that this situation will not last much longer because the potential benefits of VOIP at the home/office/district, with 3G as but a back-up solution, are huge. Once the grip of the operators has been loosened, the power will be with the equipment manufacturers who will dictate the market more and more.

Incidentally, virtually all the big user equipment manufacturers have demonstrated 3G-VOIP phones and it's only a matter of time before they'll be supported.

Make no mistake, I'd sell my shares in Vodafone now.

BTW, I'd be very surprised if there were any concrete outcomes in tomorrow's court case. I'd say this 4th 3G license business will go on for some time yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

So, was there any outcome in the court case the other day or is it ongoing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

crawler wrote:
    Interesting bit of spectrum.......(strokes chin thoughtfully)

Very. Not supposed to be used in Urban areas at all. Its for islands and black valleys and suchlike and comprised 2 x 20Mhz blocks around 2.3Ghz/2.4Ghz

Of commensurate interest is the WLL spectrum vacated by Chorus in recent years. I beleiev that eircom got some of this as well and that its not a milllion miles from 2.3Ghz either .

This spectrum is theoretically available for reallocation in Urban areas under a parallel and separate licencing scheme but if Comreg allow an 'experimental wireless use ' scenario for eircom the spectrum will end up being squatted thoroughly and permanently in those same urban areas and of no use :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Not that we would not already know that Isolde and Co jump when Eircom whistles, this ST article tells how Eircom made ComReg be overly exact with Smart's compliance. How about ComReg being more exact with Eircom's compliance on several fronts?
    Eircom threatened lawsuit over mobile deal

EIRCOM threatened to sue ComReg, the telecoms regulator, over its award of the fourth mobile licence to Smart Telecom within three weeks of the announcement being made, the High Court was told last week...
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭leoc

Maybe the verdict will have some hard words about Comreg's administration of the license. That would help to stir things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just to remind folk, it will be interesting to see what happens to Smart, considering what happened the last time they visited the High Court.

They went to see if they could win the contract for the weather forecast inserts on RTÉ, after it appealed the tendering process. They were beaten by Glanbia. RTÉ had a tender for the highest cash bidder. Glanbia bid, and so did Smart, amougst others, I'm sure. Glanbia bid a cash amount, but Smart bid whatever the highest bidder did, plus 5%. RTÉ accepted the Glanbia bid.

It was proven in court that RTÉ were right to offer the contract to Glanbia, as they gave an exact figure, whereas the judge ruled that Smart's offer was purely speculative and of no cash value.

So, they might be quick to run to the courts when they feel hard done by, but its by no means certain that they will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

when will we hear a result on this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya i had actually forgotten about it

im guessing (and hoping) smart won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Comreg think they know the result already.
    3G Mobile Site Sharing - Working Group

The purpose of the Code will be to ensure that full consideration is given to the use of existing masts, buildings and other structures for the siting of new antennas and to strongly encourage the sharing of masts and sites where it represents the optimum environmental solution.* The first meeting of the working group was on 22nd October 2002 and it is expected that the group will eventually be widened to include Meteor and other interested parties.
    http://www.comreg.ie/sector/default.asp?s=4&navid=53

or maybe they just haven't updated their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

so does anyone know when we will hear from the high court about this case.

Advertisement