Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation of Christianity forum is disgusting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you used the report post button?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Baby Jesus says "Use the Report Post button. I'm omnicogniscent, the moderators are not."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Did you report them to the mods?

I don't think they're constructive points, but I don't know how the religion forums work at all; is this kind of comment allowed (once it isn't abusive to a person) etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I've reported their posts. The situation isn't as simple as one might think and moderation of the religious forums varies.

For example on the Islam forum it is pretty tight because of people turning up and making 'racist' comments of the 'all muslims' variety.

On the Christianity forum it is really ****ing lax because the main Christian moderators welcome the opportunity to bear their Christian witness to non believers. Well I don't goddamn it.

I mean I am willing when pressed to defend my faith and wouldnn't deny it but it is a pain if I was to ask on a Christian forum:
    'What is the best way to help make Christmas more religious' and everyone answers 'Religion is for the weak Nazarene fool' it becomes sort of unhelpful.

Please note that I am IN NO WAY offering to take responsibilty myself, I want you guys, who provide a free service to sort it out for me; however I promise not to whine about it if you don't.
    MM

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

As standalone posts, well, I don't see a problem with the second one really, first one seems a bit abrasive, but as said above, it's up to the moderators of the forum as to what they find acceptable.

Personally, religious discussion is a crock of irritation I don't want to get involved in, I don't understand why people need to discuss personal beliefs. It only serves to highlight differences.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Have you discussed this with the Mods? If you report posts it will draw them to our attention.

Did you really write the last paragraph of your last post?

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The second post seems quite ok, he even explained himself when you questioned him.
    In fact, seems like a good answer based on experience.

I have found the mods there to do a good enough job,
    On the Christianity forum it is really ****ing lax because the main Christian moderators welcome the opportunity to bear their Christian witness to non believers. Well I don't goddamn it.
    Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who uses His name in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

mountainyman, is this just yet another attempt to amuse people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Right now (this month) with one of the Christianity moderators being muchly busy this month I, at his request, am taking a more active role in that forum than I normally do as Religion / Spirituality Cat Mod.

Right now (this day) I've had a bugger of a day, and I'll look at these reports after I get some dinner and coffee first, not before.

I have now eaten. I haven't had a cup of coffee yet, but I have had a beer.

I have looked over the reported posts for the last while.

Pocari Sweat starts off like a semi-coherent fool who will soon get himself banned. He has a few posts where he pulls himself up slightly and a few where he falls down a bit. We shall see.

Sapien is an otherwise coherent, lucid and eloquent poster throughout the Religion / Spirituality forums who normally does a better job of expressing his non-Christian views in a respectful manner in that forum.

mountainyman is only unbanned because the posts by him that were recently reported were seen and dealt with by BrianCalgary. His posts at best have the sense that he thinks he owns the forum (something even the moderators don't do), owns the religion (has more right to speak on it that others, whether they are of the same denomination as others), unaware of the community there (really, saying "Christianity = Catholicism as far as Ireland goes" isn't bannable or anything, but it's just irrelevant [boards is not Ireland] and demonstrates a lack of the basic gumpion to check out a forum's vibe before taking part [there is a very strong Protestant and Evangelical demographic in particular]), has a persecution complex, and on other occasions rise to such rhetorical greatness not only insulting posters but the children of posters rather than making any points (and quite a few other children at that). If those posts had been made this month (during my period of particular attention to this forum) they'd have been his last. He's on my watch list for the forum this month, and will remain on my watchlist for the category.

Now. My delightful special someone has come with ice-cream. I'm going to make that coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Gordon wrote:
    mountainyman, is this just yet another attempt to amuse people?
    Mount Any Man.

I'm sorry to say I was amused at that.:) I'm out of here...

Talliesin wrote:
    not only insulting posters but the children of posters rather than making any points (and quite a few other children at that).
    That's not accurate. Children don't choose their schools.

MM

You know what. Take it up with Brian when he's back next month, you're banned until then (longer or not I'll leave up to him, personally I'd recommend just leaving you out).

You've proved my point thanks.

MM

No, I gave you exactly what you wanted. You said the moderation of that forum was lax, I've just banned it's most recidivist troublemaker.

You got what you asked for.

Well that's a matter of perception. In the same sense as when I asked what people's pet peeves at mass were I didn't feel that contributions like
    'Mass is weak Nazarene fool' were especially useful. I wasn't asking for myself to be banned when I raised this issue. Still it's your website; I wouldn't moderate it.

As regards Educate Together. I apologised unreservedly for those remarks. I deleted the offensive comment and explained why it had been deleted. I also messaged the person I insulted. Of course the initial comment was ill advised (and may merit a ban it itself) but having made it I cannot see how else I could have made amends. I also point out that none of these things were done under threat of a ban.

I thank you for taking the trouble to moderate the Christianity forum and would request that you continue in the same vein that you have begun.

MM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I mean I am willing when pressed to defend my faith and wouldnn't deny it

Are you willing to defend your sig in the context of your faith?

flogen wrote:
    Are you willing to defend your sig in the context of your faith?
    In 2 months on the Christianity forum.
    MM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement