Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reiki

Options
  • 03-07-2006 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this question fits here or in the spirituality forum. (if anyone thinks I should move it just shout!) I have been thinking of taking reiki I and had a couple of sessions with a reiki healer to help me decide whether to go ahead with it or not. Having read (a bit- not a lot) about it, one of the things that didn't quite sit with me was the spiritual- religious elements that I read about it.. i.e. healer channelling energy form a higher power. I prefer to believe that the healer is in some way (though I don't know how) using their own energy or somehow tapping into the recipients own energy (I don't really know what I'm talking about so excuse me if I sound a bit ignorant on this).

On to my point, whilst I was having my last session the reiki healer held me head in her hands for a few minutes. She was standing behind me cupping my head, taking its weight. this is the weird part... as she did this it was almost like I could feel a second pair of hands further up on my head, right on the top. It wasn't very strong.... you know when someone is just touching your hair close to your head but not touching your head, that light tingly feeling? That's what it felt like. It didn't scare me... it was kind of comforting but afterwards I was naturally looking for the logical explanation. Maybe her breath on my head? But why would it feel like a pair of hands?

Does anyone have any explanations? I'm open to hearing the logical scientific explanations as well as the more spiritual/ paranormal ones!
    thanks

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Hi
    I practice reiki on family and friends. Reiki channels the life energy that is all around us - ki (or chi) is the life energy. It comes from the highest spiritual source. You can believe what you like - Reiki is NOT a religion. Some ppl believe the energy comes from God, others from the life energy that is in everything and is all around us. It's up to the individual. The healer does NOT channel their own energy - the healer is merely a channel. That is why a reiki healer is not exhausted by the experience.

I dont want to upset you or anything, but the "hands" you felt were indeed hands. What happens in a reiki healing session is the healer acts as a channel , the energy flows from the source and spiritual beings help in the healing. So it is not just the healer who is healing you, but other helpers. But dont be afraid of this, there is nothing to be afraid of. This helpers/angels (call them what you will) will never hurt you. Many people feel other hands in a healing session and it is a beautiful experience.

Disclaimer: I am from a scientific background and don't take these kind of experiences blindly. I've had many spiritual experiences that cannot be explained

PS If you have any questions PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thank you cinnamon,

That doesn't upset me at all and I didn't feel in the slightest bit afraid. Quite the opposite in fact it was very very comforting. Having "let go" of religion in the organised sense many years ago, I'm trying to find my feet and figure out what I do believe in. My experiences tell me there is a lot for me to learn (spiritually) and I think I purposely sought out reiki to help me along . However,the old sceptical goat in me still kicks in now and again!

I do love the idea that there are spirits/ guides helping out and I look forward to my next session. I'm not sure that I'm ready for the leap into reiki I but if I do I'm sure I'lll have some questions for you!

Thanks again
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Moved

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I read up on Angel Therapy and Integrated Energy Therapy (IET) before and the practice of them seemed to come about from Reiki healers who experienced what you did. Some of them began to feel a presence watching over them as they worked, or guiding them and showing them what to do. Some of them also reported patients feeling an extra set of hands working around them, or in some cases they could even see someone standing behind the healer working with them.

littlebug wrote:
    I'm not sure that I'm ready for the leap into reiki I but if I do I'm sure I'lll have some questions for you!
    Taking your time and waiting till you're ready is a great idea. Reiki seems to have become the new yoga with many people doing a few evening classes and then rushing off to try it out on all their mates. I don't know a lot about it myself but it seems like the kind of thing that should be taken pretty seriously (which it certainly looks like you intend to do).

edit:
    Just to add, here's a link to an article I found before that seems related Clicky

Also, a thread we had before about Angel Therapy with some intersting views on the subject Clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I've just had two sessions of reiki and I've been feeling the hands too. It's very strange. I don't know if it's working yet as I'm doing the reiki in conjunction with medication but overall I've been feeling much better. It just surprises me that someone can tell you whats wrong with you just by feeling your energy. It also completely surprised me how thirsty I was after the session - and how tired - all I did was lie there. It makes one wonder really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sorry for the stupid question but what are the benefits of reiki.

I know it involved channeling energy to the through a healer to another person, generally by laying your hands on a persons head. But what sort of healing are we talking about; can it be used for a specific ailment or more for a general sense off wellbeing & energy?
    Is it more physical, mental or spiritual (or indeed does it encompass all three)?

Are there many healers in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

gillo wrote:
    Sorry for the stupid question but what are the benefits of reiki.

I know it involved channeling energy to the through a healer to another person, generally by laying your hands on a persons head. But what sort of healing are we talking about; can it be used for a specific ailment or more for a general sense off wellbeing & energy?
    Is it more physical, mental or spiritual (or indeed does it encompass all three)?

Are there many healers in Dublin?

Gillo,

AFAIK Reiki can work a different number of ways. On some people it works generally raising their energy, clearing them of negative crap and just generally leaving them feel better. This has been my experience, I have also felt different pairs of hands (or that's what it felt like) during a treatment with the practitioners hands on my chest and what felt like another pair of hands on my neck / head etc. This has happened with different practitioners.

I have spoken to people with different experiences i.e. cured of chronic back pain requiring severe medication in one session. Now this is an extreme case and I couldn't say it's applicable to all. But to answer your question I'd say that people get what they need out of it, not necessarily what they want out of it. Hope that helps.

As I understand it Reiki is all to do with the balance and flow of energy around the body. If the flow or balance of energy is disrupted for some reason, that can manifest as physical or mental problems. Similarly physical or mental problems can lead to problems with the flow or balance of energy. If an energy problem is causing other problems, then correcting the energy problem will relieve the other problems. If a physical problem is disrupting the energy flow, correcting the energy flow will help the body to heal itself.

A good analogy would be the circulatory system, if blood flow gets cut off to a certain part of the body, that part will start to die off. If blood flow is restored the body will quickly heal itself. Also, if you break a leg, for example, you body naturally directs more blood to that area to help it heal quicker. Reiki really works by keeping your energy flow/balance working perfectly so it can help the body heal itself.

Of course anyone with a physical or mental problem should consult with their GP before even considering Reiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I think I'll try it and see what happens, can't do any harm right?

Can anyone recommend a good practicioner in the Dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 3is_me

Hi. Just wanted to share the beginning of my experience with Reiki. I was attuned to first level about three years ago and have been practicing on that level since. I would love to take 2nd level soon and am waiting for the appropriate time. A lot of reiki practioners I have encountered have somewhat put pressure on me to keep going through the levels-FAST. Traditionally, this is not what Reiki is about. One of the best things about Reiki for me is that I get the opportunity to heal myself first. The sensations I feel when doing self treatment are continually getting stronger the more that I do it. I would much rather take my time and elevate each level that much more by my practice in between and get the most out of each attunement. I like the idea that we only get as much back as we bring to something. In so many ways, my life before Reiki was not in line with the principles of Reiki. My heart wanted the attunement and my mind gave me so many reasons not to bring the attunement into my life. It was one of the biggest challenges I took and I am so glad I did. I am still working at aligning my life with Reiki principles. Life is a process. Reiki is a wonderful way of life. Honor yourself and listen to your heart. What is meant to be will be. Namaste

PS-I am from Canada, do not know of any practioners in Dublin, though I am sure there are many.
    -"The Complete Reiki Handbook" by Walter Lubeck is a wonderful resource for anyone wanting more info on Reiki

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 3is_me

One more thing I thought of.

Our physical level is like a computer print out of our emotional, mental and spiritual levels. It reflects the things we need to change within personalities and psyches. Reiki works on all levels and is complimentary to other medical treatments. Reiki should never be subsituted for proper medical treatment, but it can truly help in some cases. Sometimes, terminally ill persons are coming to life's end and it may not be possible to cure them but it definitely can make their "passing on" more comfortable. Reiki is about the best possible outcome for all.

3is_me wrote:
    I would love to take 2nd level soon and am waiting for the appropriate time. A lot of reiki practioners I have encountered have somewhat put pressure on me to keep going through the levels-FAST. Traditionally, this is not what Reiki is about.
    That's a very wise way of looking at it. Too many people seem to want to rush through the levels just to be able to call themselves a Reiki master, without really taking the time to master anything. As a result I've become quite suspicious of anyone who introduces themselves as a Reiki Master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

stevenmu wrote:
    That's a very wise way of looking at it. Too many people seem to want to rush through the levels just to be able to call themselves a Reiki master, without really taking the time to master anything. As a result I've become quite suspicious of anyone who introduces themselves as a Reiki Master.

Ideally if you want to become a Reiki master, you should devote yourself to Reiki -be a full time healer. Therefore it is not a decision to be taken lightly. For this reason some teachers charge a substantial amount of money to do the master level.
    Yes going through the different levels is a spiritual journey and one not to be rushed. I did level 1 about 4 years ago and level 2 maybe 6-8 months later. I found level 2 really challenging and it takes its toll on your psyche so should not be a rushed decision.
    I don't feel ready to do the master level and don't see myself taking it for a long time yet. I am happy at this level now.
    Don't be pushed into any decision - it completely goes against the principles of Reiki

Advertisement