Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion

Options
  • 03-07-2006 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

So what do you believe i the 1 true Religion? Im a fairly open person but for me i believe the one true Religion is the Catholic Religion, i have seen so much and read so much about it to make me believe that it is the one true Religion, so many things such as Exorcisims etc like i remember reading about a family in America who were Lutheran and their son became possessed and their Lutheran Priest tried to Exorcise the Demon/s from the boy with no luck so they called a Catholic Priest who spoke Latin to the Demon and was successful in Exorcising the Demon from the Boy and the Family even changed Religion to be Catholics, thats alot of proof to me! And what about visions of the Virgin Mary and Stigmata all those things happen to Catholics, truly amazing to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Shoulda posted this in the Religion forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭my_house

i have a firm belief in spirituality and that there was a guy called Jesus, but after that it gets hazy. I find it hard to tie myself to one doctrine mainly because really, organised religions are an individuals initial belief that others follow. i think really everyone develops their own 'religion' and live being true to themselves and what they honestly believe to be right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I don't think that this is the right forum for this sort of topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Moved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So what do you believe i the 1 true Religion? Im a fairly open person but for me i believe the one true Religion is the Catholic Religion, i have seen so much and read so much about it to make me believe that it is the one true Religion, so many things such as Exorcisims etc like i remember reading about a family in America who were Lutheran and their son became possessed and their Lutheran Priest tried to Exorcise the Demon/s from the boy with no luck so they called a Catholic Priest who spoke Latin to the Demon and was successful in Exorcising the Demon from the Boy and the Family even changed Religion to be Catholics, thats alot of proof to me! And what about visions of the Virgin Mary and Stigmata all those things happen to Catholics, truly amazing to me
    Honest answer, I believe they are all wrong. The more we learn about the world, the less people rely on a 'because god made it that way' answer.
    Recently my mother even stopped with Catholicism(that's a big deal, she was hardkore with a k), this is nearly 60 years of heavy worship turned on it's head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

Her reason for stopping? ? She shoudl try to have Faith its an interesting concept tell her it can be found in the Bible, God says he will not save us we will save ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Bibles a good book but god didnt write it - men did! (probably a bit written by chicks in there too ;)).

Dont get me wrong faith and belief are very powerful things but I wouldnt say and one is right or wrong. Break them back to their purest form and look at the similarities.

.....the Boy and the Family even changed Religion to be Catholics, thats alot of proof to me! And what about visions of the Virgin Mary and Stigmata all those things happen to Catholics, truly amazing to me

A story you heard is proof to you?
    And what about visions of the Virgin Mary and Stigmata all those things happen to Catholics, truly amazing to me

Mircles (for want of a better word) are not unique to Catholocism.

Can I ask if you hold all the Catholic churches teachings in high regard? Their attitudes towards sexuality, marraige, abortion etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Personally I don't think there is any 'true' religion, not yet anyway. I think if there was one true religion it's teachings would be so simple and self-evident that we would all follow it. As things stand I think that various people throughout history have come to understand parts of 'the truth' whatever that may be. Then, either they themselves, or others passing on their teachings have added in their own bits or misinterpreted others leading people to focus more on the trivial differences in the minor details than on the big picture.

6th wrote:
    Can I ask if you hold all the Catholic churches teachings in high regard? Their attitudes towards sexuality, marraige, abortion etc?
    I really hope this isn't going to turn into another Catholicism bashing thread, but I will risk pointing out that people who complain about the Catholic Church's 'less modern' ideas seem to overlook the fact that the church also teaches people that they shouldn't be having sex unless they're ready and willing for babies. I don't see why people who overlook that should get so bothered by the other teachings.

No I ahve not problem with Catholicism, I was raised catholic and happy to be. But I wouldnt go around saying it is the one true religion when many people believe all modern religions have alot of flaws.

Thats why i said break them back to their purest form, at the the centre of most religions are some wonderful idea that could lead us all to a better, more fulfilling way of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

It's pretty crazy talking about '1 true religion' that kind of attitude is what leads to wars. Are Islam, Judaism, Protestant Christianity, Taoism etc all wrong? I like to think it's like a bunch of people sat in a circle looking at a candle in the middle. Everyone sees the candle but from different positions it looks a little different to each person.

I think that dogmatic views and claiming an exclusive hotline to God is dangerous, incites anger in others and is a very intolerant and unspiritual attitude.

http://www.electricpublications.com

It's pretty crazy talking about '1 true religion' that kind of attitude is what leads to wars. Are Islam, Judaism, Protestant Christianity, Taoism etc all wrong? I like to think it's like a bunch of people sat in a circle looking at a candle in the middle. Everyone sees the candle but from different positions it looks a little different to each person.

I think that dogmatic views and claiming an exclusive hotline to God is dangerous, incites anger in others and is a very intolerant and unspiritual attitude.

Perfectly said .... :claps:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

6th wrote:
    No I ahve not problem with Catholicism, I was raised catholic and happy to be. But I wouldnt go around saying it is the one true religion when many people believe all modern religions have alot of flaws.

Thats why i said break them back to their purest form, at the the centre of most religions are some wonderful idea that could lead us all to a better, more fulfilling way of life.
    Ah, sorry, whenever I see Catholic mentioned in the same thread as contraception, abortion etc I think it's only going one way ...

No problem, you're dead right anyway - it usually get out of hand very quickly.

My only really problem with Catholic is that as a rule they arent very good kissers, unlike the Pagans who are fantastic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The only one true religion is the one true religion for yourself.
    6th wrote:
    My only really problem with Catholic is that as a rule they arent very good kissers, unlike the Pagans who are fantastic
    In your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As far as I can remember the only thing God ever said to man where the 10 comandments then people took them off in different directions and decided to add amendments to them and next time they met they'd ended up in completely different mindsets. All the religions are right their just localised to suit the lifestyles of the people, the basic message is the same. Love and respect.

Thaedydal wrote:
    The only one true religion is the one true religion for yourself.

Exactly, there is no reason why you cant adapt and incorporate the beliefs of a few systems into your own. I'm sure very few people agree on all aspects of any religion.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    In your opinion.

Well not really, wife is catholic and a great kisser ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

It's pretty crazy talking about '1 true religion' that kind of attitude is what leads to wars. Are Islam, Judaism, Protestant Christianity, Taoism etc all wrong?

YES.

And is Catholicism right on EVERYTHING?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

6th wrote:
    And is Catholicism right on EVERYTHING?
    Of course it is, haven't you read the books that were clearly written by god?

• Advertisement

yes and i've passed it over to SpellCzechs

On page 657 they say Jebus, is that a typo? :p

NO thats the one time he got it right.

Now i'm not one for taking the p*ss out of any religion so I'll take it back on topic:

IrishAirCorp - have you any "proof" that the catholic church is right like the "proof" you got about some boy and his family being cured of demons thats to the Catholic Church?

What exactly are all the other religions wrong on, or do you not ahve a clue about them and are just sticking to what you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." - Hassan i Sabbah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

ScumLord wrote:
    As far as I can remember the only thing God ever said to man where the 10 comandments then people took them off in different directions and decided to add amendments to them and next time they met they'd ended up in completely different mindsets. All the religions are right their just localised to suit the lifestyles of the people, the basic message is the same. Love and respect.
    God also wrote the Koran according to the Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 IPI

Secular Religion is the worst thing that ever happened to theology.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I've come to the conclusion that it's pointless to argue about religion. Discussing it calmly is another matter, but when people start making blanket statements like YOU"RE WRONG, MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY that's when I quietly slope off. There's no point in trying to penetrate a hardened mind, people will believe what they want to and if they refuse to even listen to other points of view then I just shrug my shoulders and leave them to it!

Better to spend energy on things that can be done to make the world better rather than waste it on lost causes.

www.electricpublications.com

.....There's no point in trying to penetrate a hardened mind.....

<snip>

6th, you should know better than to try and ridicule somebody's idea of what constitutes proof ... Steve

Advertisement